Hypothetical television season ticket.

There is a chance that next season could have small crowds or be completely behind closed doors. An article from the Herald today had Doncaster talking to sky about clubs letting season ticket holders stream games online. I’m all for it if it’s going to save my club.

The biggest issues I’d guess would be:

1) how much do you pay?

2) what do you pay for away games or are they included in the season ticket price?

3) how do you stop illegal streaming?

4) Will the tv companies give it the green light? Maybe they can keep their tv slots and the rest are 3pm on a Saturday?

5) will people just gather in friends houses? We might even be allowed to do that by next season even if crowds aren’t allowed in stadiums, which means clubs might not get as much money.

6) How practical or easy is it for clubs to stream their games and how much does that cost?

Not having read the Doncaster interviews I'd guess the template in terms of a model that has worked would be something like the iFollow thing the EFL uses.

https://www.efl.com/iFollow/

I’d heard of iFollow but I didn’t know much about it until reading a bit about it there. I’m assuming it was mostly midweek games since they couldn’t show the usual Saturday 3pm matches.

It’s good that there is an example to follow. The thought of Neil Doncaster trying time come up with something himself is terrifying.

While I feel there is some merit in this, I feel the broadcasters would dingy this idea in a heartbeat: "If people want to watch live football they can do it on our platform"

22 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

There is a chance that next season could have small crowds or be completely behind closed doors. An article from the Herald today had Doncaster talking to sky about clubs letting season ticket holders stream games online. I’m all for it if it’s going to save my club.

The biggest issues I’d guess would be:

1) how much do you pay?

I pay about £200 a year for Rangers TV

2) what do you pay for away games or are they included in the season ticket price?

This is pretty much what I do with Rangers TV.  Although they can only stream most live games (both home and away) outside of the UK a VPN gets around this.  Cost is about £200 a year.

I am pretty sure if the TV companies could block this they would.

Edited by The_Kincardine

This is pretty much what I do with Rangers TV.  Although they can only stream most live games (both home and away) outside of the UK a VPN gets around this.  Cost is about £200 a year.
I am pretty sure if the TV companies could block this they would.

It sounds doable then if the tv companies go for it.

Mechelin in Belgium propose drive-in fitba. Of course only suitable if your Club has a large car park next to or near the stadium. Fans pay at the carpark gate and can sit in their cars watching the games on screens on the outside of the stadium. Good thinking outside the box.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Mechelin in Belgium propose drive-in fitba. Of course only suitable if your Club has a large car park next to or near the stadium. Fans pay at the carpark gate and can sit in their cars watching the games on screens on the outside of the stadium. Good thinking outside the box.

That would be quite good. Wonder if our large screen can be dismantled and moved out into the car park

9 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Got to say, for me, that is a terrible idea. It increases car use when it's not necessary - with all the negatives that brings - and for me personally it would feel like listening to a party going on next door.

I can see why they would suggest it, and I understand it's preferable to lots of people being in close proximity, but I have to say I would never take advantage of that.

To add the non-Prem team angle to this...

I think that if crowds at entertainment venues (including football stadiums) are to be banned until there is effectively a vaccine rolled out (maybe sometime between August-December 2021?), then outside of the top leagues football will likely have to be postponed as clubs could not afford to have full squads but no match day revenue.

To take the Rovers as one example. Currently we have 9 players signed for next year (two of which are 16 y.o. apprentices). It would be madness to sign 13-15 new players on full, full-time, championship wages for a season of closed door games. It would likely kill us. To survive, we would likely be better not playing at all and finding a way to pay for those we have signed up already...

For premiership clubs who will have - via a combination of senior and youth players - enough numbers for a full squad already signed up, then behind closed doors income will be better than nothing. But it will still be a huge undertaking for clubs...

1 hour ago, Ric said:

While I feel there is some merit in this, I feel the broadcasters would dingy this idea in a heartbeat: "If people want to watch live football they can do it on our platform"

If they're not showing the games and they're not at the same time then I'd like to think the broadcasters will be flexible in the current circumstances. Agree that they should have exclusivity for their contracted matches though. They could even be chucked some free matches, some free advertising on the platform or some other form of compensation to smooth it over.

If this does happen then they could maybe look at staggering the six (or however many) Premiership games over the weekend too - say 1pm, 3pm, 5pm Saturday and Sunday, since fans won't be as affected by the weird kick off times anyway.

Edited by craigkillie

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If they're not showing the games and they're not at the same time then I'd like to think the broadcasters will be flexible in the current circumstances. Agree that they should have exclusivity for their contracted matches though. They could even be chucked either some free matches, some free advertising on the platform or some other form of compensation to smooth it over.

If this does happen then they could maybe look at staggering the six (or however many) Premiership games over the weekend too - say 1pm, 3pm, 5pm Saturday and Sunday, since fans won't be as affected by the weird kick off times anyway.

Fuqdat idea. Two days of three consecutive games? I’m enough of a jakeball as it is just now. Anyone that remembers the Sky Super Sunday when the SPL game was given the Sunday 6pm KO after two EPL games will, I am sure, back me up on that! 

Make streaming convenient and affordable, and people won't pirate in significant numbers. 

I used to stream EPL matches until I could get Sky & BT sport as part of my phone contract for the equivalent of about £7.50 a month. Used to torrent music until Spotify at £15/month came along. 

Would happily pay a tenner a month to watch Hearts games (outwith Sky/BT games) online. 

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If they're not showing the games and they're not at the same time then I'd like to think the broadcasters will be flexible in the current circumstances. Agree that they should have exclusivity for their contracted matches though. They could even be chucked some free matches, some free advertising on the platform or some other form of compensation to smooth it over.

Would they not see it as a slippery slope? Just feels like something they would put an immediate stop to. That said, you are spot on about "current circumstances", and in many ways if they did put a block on it there may be a hit from subscribers cancelling. You know what a social media campaign is like once it gets going.

All in all, is the slice of pie that's Scottish football all that important to them. I'd wager so long as they got OF derbies they would throw the rest out like pennies at a scramble (I'm showing my age!)

Looking forward Scotsport quality camera work from a lot of games, tbh if it's all we've got then we've got to go for it. 

How much to charge is the question,  £10 to £15 per game? Clubs won't have the same outgoings so won't have to charge as much as they do for tickets. 

Will away teams want a share of profits or home team takes it all?

Obviously Sky will have to play fair, if they don't then they might not have a product.

You'll never stop the streams but you may see clubs doing more to shut them down.

You'd have an issue with the OF surely?

Depending on what the home/away split was, given most (all?) of their away games get televised.

Plus they wouldn't be able to sell any streams to their own fans for the actual OF fixtures as all 4 would be televised.

I think this makes sense for the vast majority of clubs though, Sky aren't going to split hairs over Aberdeen v Livingston on a Saturday afternoon.