What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

On 07/02/2022 at 20:31, Highland Capital said:

Fans who don’t understand the slightest bit about tactics and game management. Some people haven’t a clue about what they’re watching.

^^Tactically naive...

5 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Just time-wasting in general. Some examples being:

Players pretending to be injured,  pretending to have head knocks, and keepers doing that silly little dive when there is no reason to after catching the ball.

It doesn't infuriate me but it has got to the point where the only football I watch is Aberdeen, Scotland, some Boro, and major international tournament matches. Can't be arsed spending 97 minutes to watch a match I don't care about where it feels like the ball is in play for around 50. 

You won’t be far off with the 50 minutes guess for some games. The average is about 60 but it can go down to less than 45 for some games.  and that counts the ball in the keepers hands, ball being held up in the corner, passes along the back 4 etc

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Time wasting done properly is a thing of beauty.

Exhibit A would be John McGinn beating his man in Austria and then turning back towards the corner. Absolutely splendid.

This tho.  I also love the knee drop complained about above from keepers.  Or even better when a ball runs through to the keeper, and they take it to the far corner of the box standing over it until a striker comes nearby.

5 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Time wasting done properly is a thing of beauty.

Exhibit A would be John McGinn beating his man in Austria and then turning back towards the corner. Absolutely splendid.

Agreed especially when it is your team doing it. What I'm saying is that when it's happening in a match in which I do not care about the end result, it puts me off watching.

That '[Team Name] Get Battered Everywhere They Go!' chant. Seems to be ubiquitous now but it is utterly, utterly dreadful. 

Also: artificial limbs. Now, let me explain myself here. Not actual prostheses, of course. But, as videos of 'limbs' at football on Twitter and social media has become more widespread, it seems to be becoming more and more forced, especially amongst younger fans. If it is natural and spontaneous, great. But throwing yourself down ten rows to 'celebrate' your team pulling a goal back at 3-0 down in the 75th minute away at Southend all whilst being filmed by your Weekend Offender-clad mates and uploading it to Twitter for #numbers doesn't really hold much appeal to me. 

Edited by DrewDon

The law that says a goalkeeper can only hold on to the ball for six seconds, and if they hold on to it for seven seconds or more it’s an indirect free kick. Why is that law there? If a team is in a favourable scoreline, a keeper will not release the ball for at least twelve seconds, and I’ve seen up to twenty seconds. Why is the law there? Does ma f*ck*ng heid in.

19 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

That '[Team Name] Get Battered Everywhere They Go!' chant. Seems to be ubiquitous now but it is utterly, utterly dreadful. 

Also: artificial limbs. Now, let me explain myself here. Not actual prostheses, of course. But, as videos of 'limbs' at football on Twitter and social media has become more widespread, it seems to be becoming more and more forced, especially amongst younger fans. If it is natural and spontaneous, great. But throwing yourself down ten rows to 'celebrate' your team pulling a goal back at 3-0 down in the 75th minute away at Southend all whilst being filmed by your Weekend Offender-clad mates and uploading it to Twitter for #numbers doesn't really hold much appeal to me. 

In the same vein, pitch invasions. Happen all the time now. Some folk try to argue that it's a 'heat of the moment' thing, but it isn't. It's a bandwagon things. Fans celebrated last minute winners for years without pitch invasions, and it's not even those type of goals all the time anyway. We see losers jump on to the pitch when their team goes two nil up for example. It's absolutely premeditated and often 'forced'.

Another thing, whilst I'm ranting and using terms like 'bandwagon', is how when a song becomes popular suddenly fans of all teams are singing it. The most recent one is heard at grounds all across Scotland (I forget it's name, but it was commented on during the BBC Arbroath vs Kilmarnock match recently). Previous examples include 'Ring of Fire', 'Since I Was Young' and 'Allez Allez Oh'.

It seems like a lot of clubs have a 'young team' who sing the same songs and who could be totally interchangeable, in that they could be at East End one week and then the home end at Kilmarnock the next and you wouldn't notice, as they're singing the exact same stuff with the exception of a single word being changed. I'm absolutely all for these younger guys signing and making noise, and it's really good to see more of them at more clubs, but I just wish they'd not sing the same pish over and over. At Ayr a couple of weeks ago the young lads had their drum and played pretty much the same song over and over (it's the one I mentioned above from the BBC game). I'd love it if they would sing more Pars songs instead. There are plenty of them.

Edited by DA Baracus

The law that says a goalkeeper can only hold on to the ball for six seconds, and if they hold on to it for seven seconds or more it’s an indirect free kick. Why is that law there? If a team is in a favourable scoreline, a keeper will not release the ball for at least twelve seconds, and I’ve seen up to twenty seconds. Why is the law there? Does ma f*ck*ng heid in.
You're not wrong but if there wasn't a law you'd never get the baw back.

Keep the law, and just enforce it more.

I like when the striker holds up his fingers and counts the six seconds out. More of that please.

28 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You're not wrong but if there wasn't a law you'd never get the baw back.

Keep the law, and just enforce it more.

I like when the striker holds up his fingers and counts the six seconds out. More of that please.

I totally agree that you need a law, but either change the time or enforce the six seconds. It's not difficult.

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Another thing, whilst I'm ranting and using terms like 'bandwagon', is how when a song becomes popular suddenly fans of all teams are singing it. The most recent one is heard at grounds all across Scotland (I forget it's name, but it was commented on during the BBC Arbroath vs Kilmarnock match recently). Previous examples include 'Ring of Fire', 'Since I Was Young' and 'Allez Allez Oh'.

It seems like a lot of clubs have a 'young team' who sing the same songs and who could be totally interchangeable, in that they could be at East End one week and then the home end at Kilmarnock the next and you wouldn't notice, as they're singing the exact same stuff with the exception of a single word being changed. I'm absolutely all for these younger guys signing and making noise, and it's really good to see more of them at more clubs, but I just wish they'd not sing the same pish over and over. At Ayr a couple of weeks ago the young lads had their drum and played pretty much the same song over and over (it's the one I mentioned above from the BBC game). I'd love it if they would sing more Pars songs instead. There are plenty of them.

Completely agree about the young teams and how vocal they are being a very good thing, but am also 100% behind you on the change the feckin tune rant!

The new song you're referring to is "watching (insert team name) putting on a show"

At Palmerston the Pars kids must have sang that for at least 70 of the 90 minutes, and I'm probably being generous there. They were "watching the Athletic" and then at Arbroath the young team were "watching Ayrshire Killie." 

It becomes a stretch sometimes in order to fit the team name in. At Stair Park the kids were "watching Stran rahEFFsì" but at least those (very) young guys had a repertoire to get through instead of the same song all game long.

12 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Completely agree about the young teams and how vocal they are being a very good thing, but am also 100% behind you on the change the feckin tune rant!

The new song you're referring to is "watching (insert team name) putting on a show"

At Palmerston the Pars kids must have sang that for at least 70 of the 90 minutes, and I'm probably being generous there. They were "watching the Athletic" and then at Arbroath the young team were "watching Ayrshire Killie." 

It becomes a stretch sometimes in order to fit the team name in. At Stair Park the kids were "watching Stran rahEFFsì" but at least those (very) young guys had a repertoire to get through instead of the same song all game long.

Aye, that's the one! Not a fan of it. There are so many other tunes they can sing/chant. They'll start on a new one as soon as new one becomes popular.

People referring to “The Barclays” as in “That goal was pure Barclays” or “a only in the Barclays”.  

It’s a meaningless phrase given the variance in quality and entertainment that is actually one show between the top and bottom teams.  

There’s plenty of games that are dire in that league, so pretending it’s some amazing product is stupid. We aren’t selling it, so we can leave the eulogising to Sky Sports. 

People referring to “The Barclays” as in “That goal was pure Barclays” or “a only in the Barclays”.  
It’s a meaningless phrase given the variance in quality and entertainment that is actually one show between the top and bottom teams.  
There’s plenty of games that are dire in that league, so pretending it’s some amazing product is stupid. We aren’t selling it, so we can leave the eulogising to Sky Sports. 
I presumed they were using that phrase ironically...

30 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
41 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I presumed they were using that phrase ironically...

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

They’re certainly taking the piss when saying it on here anyway. I sometimes think certain forum users only watch the Barclays to come on here and complain about the commentary.

Yeah, sorry I meant on Twitter and places like that, where they actually mean it. Not on here, though I’ve seen it on here I get them using it ironically here. 

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

It was because you said “we” I thought you were getting the wrong end of the stick on this forum. The pundits were pretty bad for it last night, Graeme Souness was basically saying it could only ever happen in England and didn’t happen in other countries in which he followed football.

Yeah, I see how that read now. I meant we as in fans. I saw a bit more of it online than usual, probably to do with the couple of games at his weekend that weee actually good. 

2 goals in stoppage time, you just don’t get that anywhere else in the world.
I like to think I'm a relatively worldly man. I've seen ruined cities in the desert, houses built on ice, rivers flowing uphill, dogs with two tails, but multiple goals in stoppage time? Only in The Barclays.

5 minutes ago, velo army said:

Music being played after a goal. I hate it more than I hate the late offside flag (and that rips my very knitting).

Just let the crowd make noise. Having shitey music drowning out crowd celebrations is utterly fucking moronic. 

I really hate that at Hampden, especially at a cup game without a full crowd. And the fucking tellys going GOAL!!!!!!.

Commentators who see two people having a conversation on the pitch and start trying to tell you what they are saying, even though they have absolutely no idea what is being discussed. Glenn Hoddle and Steve McManaman are particularly bad for this, if they see a player going to speak to the referee they will say something like ‘yeah and that’s him going to ask the referee about the penalty claim etc’, or if a manager walks over to speak to the fourth official it will be ‘yeah that’s Jurgen going to see why that yellow card was given.’ 

They will be sitting in a gantry miles away from the pitch, with a monitor in front of them showing the same pictures that we are seeing in our living room. What need is there to try and guess what two people you can’t hear are talking about, and say it with such confidence when theres 101 other things they could be talking about.