Two months ago few on here would support Doncaster in anything. But several in Scottish football have managed to out-cockwomble him. Exhibit one - Tom English. Strange how things turn out.

Edited by NorthBank

40 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I like Tom English.

He's got this wrong though.  I think that being critical of the SPFL and Doncaster is usually a pretty sound stance.  It probably even is this time, given that the Good Friday vote was poorly administered.  

However, he's found himself siding with clubs who clearly have a greeting faced agenda.  I think he's also quite enjoyed resisting the stereotype of being the anti-Rangers Irishman.  

It's led him down a blind alley.  He's not good at admitting errors or misjudgements, meaning that he can wind up looking foolish.

I used to quite like him, you can tell that football and especially scottish football wasn't his first love but he would do more research than most on sportsound so often came out more informed anyway. He was quite refreshing to have as a neutral from afar. However he has lost the plot with the vote fall out, and seems to keep digging in the hope something might come out but he is looking more and more desperate with the likes of Speirs poking fun at his denial and hypocrisy on twitter.

Edited by gannonball

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I used to quite like him, you can the football and especially scottish football wasn't his first love but he would do more research than most on sportsound so often came out more informed anyway. However he has lost the plot with the vote fall out, and seems to keep digging in the hope something might come out but he is looking more and more desperate with the likes of Speirs poking fun at his denial and hypocrisy on twitter.

He’s also the most talked about journalist in Scottish football just now and for these guys publicity is king.

He’s maybe cleverer than everyone is giving him credit for.

Alternatively he may just have committed career suicide.

28 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Tom English saying Neil Doncaster hasn't done a one to one interview in 3 year. He done two in the past week whilst he was live on the air. Fucking hell.

You obviously weren’t listening 

He said Murdoch MacLennan has done an interview with anyone bar himself

And there’s a good reason for that 

Just now, Lobby Dossar said:

You obviously weren’t listening 

He said Murdoch MacLennan has done an interview with anyone bar himself

And there’s a good reason for that 

Oh, hiya Tom!

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He’s also the most talked about journalist in Scottish football just now and for these guys publicity is king.

He’s maybe cleverer than everyone is giving him credit for.

Alternatively he may just have committed career suicide.

Probably a good point, people have been laughing at Keith Jacksons articles for years yet he seems to be given all the big interviews and got promoted

English may have lost credibility but doubt it will affect him financially since he is a bigger name now partly due to becoming a bit of a laughing stock , clickbait is king these days.

I used to respect English, too, but he’s been falling apart visibly over this issue. I guess we all deal with covid stress in different ways.

When things were normal I also used to like Derek Ferguson. Unpopular opinion I know, and I think he himself would say he isn’t the brightest, but his genuine enthusiasm for football always shines through. Deek is capable of reporting on a miserable, meaningless end of season 0-0 at New Douglas Park with great relish. That matters as much as good research.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

You sound exactly like Tom tbh.

Nah I just listened to what was being said and didn’t try an twist it to suit my agenda

Tell me why has MacLennan not done a single interview with a journalist in his 3 year tenure as SPFL Chairman??? 

Nah I just listened to what was being said and didn’t try an twist it to suit my agenda
Tell me why has MacLennan not done a single interview with a journalist in his 3 year tenure as SPFL Chairman??? 
.Screenshot_20200512-201650_Twitter.jpeg

I used to respect English, too, but he’s been falling apart visibly over this issue. I guess we all deal with covid stress in different ways.
When things were normal I also used to like Derek Ferguson. Unpopular opinion I know, and I think he himself would say he isn’t the brightest, but his genuine enthusiasm for football always shines through. Deek is capable of reporting on a miserable, meaningless end of season 0-0 at New Douglas Park with great relish. That matters as much as good research.
I'm the same with Derek Ferguson tbh. He obviously loves watching any football at all. Do you expect great insights from him? No. But he'll tell you who scored and have more enthusiasm about getting paid to watch football than anyone else on the programme.

Just now, Lebowski said:
5 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I'm the same with Derek Ferguson tbh. He obviously loves watching any football at all. Do you expect great insights from him? No. But he'll tell you who scored and have more enthusiasm about getting paid to watch football than anyone else on the programme.

Think that says more about Scottish football punditry than Derek Ferguson! Completely agree though.

2 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Following the fine example of Rangers and the BBC?

2 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

In my limited experience of sports administration*, it would be a lot more surprising if the chairman of such a body did cut about giving interviews.

* Oh, wait - my experience isn't all that limited.