Billy Connolly

1 minute ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Angry? not a jot, bemused, disappointed, bewildered etc maybe. Wee? I would be considered a Giant( in Dundee).

You’re bemused, disappointed and bewildered because other people don’t share your views on something?

I guess you must be bemused, disappointed and bewildered a lot of the time then.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

You’re bemused, disappointed and bewildered because other people don’t share your views on something?

I guess you must be bemused, disappointed and bewildered a lot of the time then.

You've got that spot on Granny, spot on.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Edit: nothing to do with his accent, but Wee Willie's posts are very hard to follow.

I'm genuinely puzzled. Could you elaborate?

2 hours ago, throbber said:

ACD37CA6-3BBC-41CF-BD35-DA71F4BE4C88.gif

C'mon throbber I thought ye were better than that.

I asked ye some questions but ye cannae answer so ye roll your eyes.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
46 minutes ago, hearthammer said:
Au contraire, i was merely stating that he too had "embraced" his fame with the london set in a similar fashion.  I made no reference to the levels of comedic abilities.

You should use your hammer to try and fix that chip on your shoulder.

Please be careful with all the steps getting up to your equine quadruped.  It's my opinion, no more relevant or irrelevant than yours.

Please be careful with all the steps getting up to your equine quadruped.  It's my opinion, no more relevant or irrelevant than yours.

And your opinion screams of someone with a strange chip on their shoulder. That part isn't an opinion ;)

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

And your opinion screams of someone with a strange chip on their shoulder. That part isn't an opinion ;)

As the seemingly self-appointed judicial authority on here, your opinion  is as valid or tosh as it's received.  

Enjoy your stint as the Caesar of this parish (👍👎) while it feeds your self-worth.

Opinions are exactly that - opinions.

Game ended.

14 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Excellent interview. He starts off sounding frail but you can sense his ailments disappearing as he gets more into the conversation. Similar to his live shows when he would talk his way into a frenzy of adrenaline that would take several hours to come back down from after the gig.

Billy Connolly basically designed modern stand up. His material was hilarious until well into the 90s and intermittently good after that. 

10% Connolly is still be better than 95% of current tv stand ups. 

I did laugh at dominik diamond saying "he used to be funny but now he's just a purple bearded dancing for money monkey" 

He might never do another  "shitting in our shoes while we're pissing in their Bovril" but he's done it once more than anyone else. 

An extraordinarily funny man. I worked with a fellae who had just a wee bit of the Connolly about him: very charismatic, lots of stories (many of which were verified as "happening to him"), and an ability to give 5 minutes of pretty hilarious discourse on any topic with no notice. I suspect there are hundreds of these sorts around; and Connolly's great tricks were managing to be as funny in front of an audience as with a few mates, and also being about as good at the stories as anyone could be.

I remember reading in the 90s some very fashionable, very funny comic being interviewed in a short-form style in one of the weekend papers' magazines. At the end, they asked the usual "if you had one wish" question. This was generally answered in terms of personal ambitions, world peace, etc. The comic replied, "To be as good a stand-up as Billy Connolly."

I will fairly regularly indicate to people in our family that I haven't quite picked them up by saying either "A Roman, and only one?", or "We don't sell Romans."

(Also, I have just chuckled about my misunderstanding of earlier posts, because I thought all references to Parkinson were about Parky. Make more sense now.)

As the seemingly self-appointed judicial authority on here, your opinion  is as valid or tosh as it's received.  
Enjoy your stint as the Caesar of this parish ([emoji106][emoji107]) while it feeds your self-worth.
Opinions are exactly that - opinions.
Game ended.

I'm not a self-appointed anything whereas you seem to be the self-appointed judge on what constitutes selling your working class soul. And so far, mingling with folk who aren't also working class is the only evidence you've presented to suggest he has done that.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not a self-appointed anything whereas you seem to be the self-appointed judge on what constitutes selling your working class soul. And so far, mingling with folk who aren't also working class is the only evidence you've presented to suggest he has done that.

O  P  I  N  I  O  N  S

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

His mask of normality since his last meltdown is gradually slipping.

Batten down the hatches!

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I found your post pretty confusing. Both you and Hearthammer come across as being bitter towards BC because of how he changed as a result of his fame, the company he kept after becoming famous and the fact he got a knighthood. His comedy journey started closer to home with tales of working on the Govan shipyards etc and he got popular and branched out to a wider audience and adjusted his material to suit. That’s the showbizz lifestyle I’m afraid.

Should have been content with the hat going round in Govan pubs, then he wouldn't have had to pretend to be in yon fancy London set. Should have known his place, shagging Janey Godley instead of Pamela Stephenson, would have been much happier,

One of Billy Connolly's things has always been that he fits in to whatever social circle he happens to find himself in at the time. Quite why anyone would think that he'd suddenly become a great class warrior and turn down a knighthood, I'm not sure. He doesn't strike me as the type who'd think much about politics in general TBH. Better that than making up a half-arsed opinion and banging on about it like some celebrities do.

Shir Sean, of course, accepted his gong despite being a republican, claiming he considered it to be recognition from the people of Scotland. Bullshit, or not?

Will any P&Bers be sending back their letter from the Queen when it inevitably comes?