The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Now that's something I didnt know.

From a very quick scan hes donated about a grand to a Republican candidate and the general Republican party. If hes donated directly to Trump as a candidate I didnt see it. Donating to that party and (without looking the candidate up) candidate dosent mean hes necessarily a nut case gun wielding conservative whod happily employ a racist, sexist manager with shady financial dealings.

Does it?

Or am I currently holding drinking apparatus in one hand and some hay in the other?

I'm kind of done with looking at people's political views and beliefs now.

Can we just appoint Boris Johnson with Priti Patel as assistant and just be done with it please.

Let's make Utd great again.

Promotion means Promotion!

$500 to the Trump Make America Great Again Committee.

On 26/06/2020 at 19:20, ArabFC said:

Wouldn't go near Tannadice if that cretin was in the dugout.

On 26/06/2020 at 20:05, Pull My Strings said:

Likewise. Malky Mackay can f**k off.

On 26/06/2020 at 20:19, Accent-Unknown said:

If he did get appointed I honestly don't know if I would support the club during his tenure.

On 26/06/2020 at 21:49, Sarto Mutiny said:

Likewise. If he comes in, I am done.

Some very strong opinions on Malky Mackay then - would you genuinely avoid Tannadice if he was the manager?!

Having paid very little attention at the time, I've just read a few newspaper reports from the time and as far as I can see: in August 2014 Cardiff reviewed 10,000 of his text messages and found a couple of (literally two) private text messages that were "disrespectful of other cultures" but "it has never been alleged that he wrote any homophobic or sexist messages" (in the words of the LMA).  There was no arrest, court case or anything of the sort - in fact The FA even passed on charging him with anything.

Hardly the Grand Wizard of the KKK...

3 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Some very strong opinions on Malky Mackay then - would you genuinely avoid Tannadice if he was the manager?!

Having paid very little attention at the time, I've just read a few newspaper reports from the time and as far as I can see: in August 2014 Cardiff reviewed 10,000 of his text messages and found a couple of (literally two) private text messages that were "disrespectful of other cultures" but "it has never been alleged that he wrote any homophobic or sexist messages" (in the words of the LMA).  There was no arrest, court case or anything of the sort - in fact The FA even passed on charging him with anything.

BvhJ9jKCUAE8gHG.png.6f7893a4cda173ebdee9f202e0d59ba2.png

I was being tongue-in cheek when I suggested that Steve Lomas would be an appropriate fit at Dundee United. I didn't actually believe they would stoop that low. In reality, it looks like they're about to stoop even lower. Sad, sad times to be an Arab.

Looking at Twitter, however, I do think that some people have short memories in regards to his managerial career. By and large, he has an impressive CV. If it wasn't for the racism scandal, this would be a major coup. But the fact that no club has taken him on in a managerial capacity in recent years is a sad indictment of United's integrity.

12 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

You're going to need a bigger broom

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

You should have a look at the other United forum, Eastfootball. Loads of them are saying they think a few messages he sent years ago don't matter now.

Fucking chronic stuff.

The folk* on BBC Radio Scotland share that opinion.

*Chick Young, Billy Dodds and Liam Macleod.

Oddly enough two of the biggest shouts for MM on twitter are two guys who are from the BAME community. 

Personally I'm not that keen on him for his record alone not without his glaring bigoted faults of a character either! 

Although I'm always open to giving people another chance and everything isn't black and white guys like Goodie and Mackay are maybe not so easily forgiven. 

Plenty of examples in football of guys who have committed fairly heinous behaviour and still in employment though. 

4 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Oddly enough two of the biggest shouts for MM on twitter are two guys who are from the BAME community. 

Personally I'm not that keen on him for his record alone not without his glaring bigoted faults of a character either! 

Although I'm always open to giving people another chance and everything isn't black and white guys like Goodie and Mackay are maybe not so easily forgiven. 

Plenty of examples in football of guys who have committed fairly heinous behaviour and still in employment though. 

Is it really Dundee United's place to rehabilitate a racist/bigot/sexist/homophobic tosser?

You're mixing him up with Twinkle. 
Examples?

Also, my mate played under Malcolm and doesnt have many nice things to say about him. Nothing racist or homophobic however

27 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

f**k me.

At least we know where the line is crossed for you mate.

29 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I was being tongue-in cheek when I suggested that Steve Lomas would be an appropriate fit at Dundee United. I didn't actually believe they would stoop that low. In reality, it looks like they're about to stoop even lower. Sad, sad times to be an Arab.

Looking at Twitter, however, I do think that some people have short memories in regards to his managerial career. By and large, he has an impressive CV. If it wasn't for the racism scandal, this would be a major coup. But the fact that no club has taken him on in a managerial capacity in recent years is a sad indictment of United's integrity.

His record isn't very good though is i

Screenshot_2020-06-28-13-43-24-0515165807~2.png

9 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Examples?

Also, my mate played under Malcolm and doesnt have many nice things to say about him. Nothing racist or homophobic however

A man far more ITK than me responding to someone and not disagreeing about Pav* 🤔🤔🤔

Sorry mate just on the wind up here with this comment 😂😂😂

Like Clyde fans with Goodwillie, it's an awkward position to be in and I understand why some fans will stop going and some will feel bad but go anyway. However, excusing him purely because he's now attached to the team you support is awful behaviour.

41 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Genuinely.

Also getting a bit sick of this “Well, he’s not Hitler” shtick!

God forbid that we should hope that our manager, especially at a time like this is someone to look up to.

And for the muppets who say ‘everyone deserves a second chance’, we’ll he’s getting paid £250k a year by the SFA. Am I meant to feel sympathy for the fcuking cretin?

2 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

His record isn't very good though is i

Screenshot_2020-06-28-13-43-24-0515165807~2.png

Pretty impressive, as far as I'm concerned. You can't just judge stats like these in isolation. He finished mid-table at Watford on two consecutive occasions with one of the lowest budgets in the league at the time (possibly the lowest), prompting Cardiff to pay a fee for his services in 2011.  At Cardiff, he reached the League Cup final and won promotion to the Premier League, turning down interest from Norwich City. He took charge of Cardiff in the Premier League but eventually lost his job due to rows over the transfer budget amongst other things. Crystal Palace were interested in his services, but then his racism was exposed and his managerial career was pretty much brought to a premature halt (aside from a controversial spell at Wigan which went badly for him).

Not sure how anybody can claim that he hadn't done pretty well as a manager up until that point.