The Dundee United Thread 22/23

12 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I know its not a popular opinion but Smith is stinking.

Why Freeman isn't playing is crazy. He might not be amazing defensively, but either is Smith. Freeman offers so much more attacking threat.

I'd be going 3 at the back with Graham in there, Behich on the left and Freeman on the right. The midfield is far too soft and we're not getting anything out of Watt or Fletcher. 

None of this Asos Ancelotti pish or whatever it is. Get it together you New Look Laszlo.

I think that's harsh on Smith. I thought he did pretty well when he came back into the side last season, even if Freeman was unlucky that he got injured just as Smith was fit to play again.

Given the choice though I'd rather stick with Freeman as 1st choice and Smith as back-up for the long run. Freeman I feel has the greater potential for further improvement and as you say he's by far the better option for attacking. He should have been brought on at left-back today instead of the absolutely hopeless Niskanen.

Whoever is manager next week, the back 5 needs to come back for a while until we can remember how to defend again.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

To be fair, over the same period that Mark McGhee was in charge at Dens - Jack Ross has picked up less points in his last 13 games in Scotland.

…..but, but, but Ross is a great manager.  I’ve heard loads of pundits say it, so it must be true.

10 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Losing 3-0 to St Murn is an even worse result that 7-0 to Alkmaar.

Especially when you consider United were at home with their fans breaking into a roaring crescendo of noise, making as much noise as possible.  

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I know its not a popular opinion but Smith is stinking.

Why Freeman isn't playing is crazy. He might not be amazing defensively, but either is Smith. Freeman offers so much more attacking threat.

I'd be going 3 at the back with Graham in there, Behich on the left and Freeman on the right. The midfield is far too soft and we're not getting anything out of Watt or Fletcher. 

None of this Asos Ancelotti pish or whatever it is. Get it together you New Look Laszlo.

It's not an unpopular opinion at all. Freeman was really pivotal to our good start last season. Smith when in possession today just would not release the ball quick enough to Middleton and never overlapped. Was the no overlapping a managerial decision or was it because he had absolutely no confidence in Edwards and Mulgrew behind him? If must play, use him as the defensive midfielder that should have been a prority this window.

The amount of mistakes so far from him, although far from the only one, so far this season has me shaking my head. Quite a few players in the squad must be sitting there fizzing at the fact they aren't getting a look when watching what those who are playing are getting away with.

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

…..but, but, but Ross is a great manager.  I’ve heard loads of pundits say it, so it must be true.

You boys wouldve shot yer load if you hadve got him in the summer so pipe down. Easy enough to look back at those posts remember

2 hours ago, Afc69 said:

How’s Jamie McGrath getting on at Utd? Think Aberdeen dodged a bullet there, by pulling the plug on the deal when Wigan moved the goalposts. 

For some reason he seems to be playing out wide.

A mistake your manager took a while to rectify, when he finally realised that McGrath is a central midfielder and is pretty ineffective out wide.

2 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

It's not an unpopular opinion at all. Freeman was really pivotal to our good start last season. Smith when in possession today just would not release the ball quick enough to Middleton and never overlapped. Was the no overlapping a managerial decision or was it because he had absolutely no confidence in Edwards and Mulgrew behind him? If must play, use him as the defensive midfielder that should have been a prority this window.

The amount of mistakes so far from him, although far from the only one, so far this season has me shaking my head. Quite a few players in the squad must be sitting there fizzing at the fact they aren't getting a look when watching what those who are playing are getting away with.

I don't think Smith should be on the pitch and should be used as backup. Hes no midfielder, he did OK a few times and scored a raker but if we have ambitions to be a regular top 6 club then we should be looking to have better than Smith and a few others in the squad. Particularly the ones from the Championship era.

2 hours ago, Twinkle said:

You boys wouldve shot yer load if you hadve got him in the summer so pipe down. Easy enough to look back at those posts remember

Knock yourself out fannybaws .... Cetlic next OYF!

You lot are incredibly entertaining.....just not on the actual pitch