George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Seeing some footage on instagram of arrests and other things that have been going on in police custody in the US, 6yr olds being put in handcuffs, death of Elijah Mcclain and Breanna Taylor i just dont get it nothing these people done were threatening to anyone yet 2 of them were killed by police and no one is held to account.  Though some people dont help matters a woman calling 911 because there was some black kids playing american football in the streets what planet are these c*nts on.

A little bit like wasting a doctors time asking for paracetamol prescriptions people who phone 911/999 and ask for the police for dog fouling and people playing football should be fined.

12 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Seeing some footage on instagram of arrests and other things that have been going on in police custody in the US, 6yr olds being put in handcuffs, death of Elijah Mcclain and Breanna Taylor i just dont get it nothing these people done were threatening to anyone yet 2 of them were killed by police and no one is held to account.  Though some people dont help matters a woman calling 911 because there was some black kids playing american football in the streets what planet are these c*nts on.

Hi Al, don't know if you are aware of these 2 websites?

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/

https://newsmaven.io/pinacnews/

Always a frustrating, "make your blood boil" read.

I've come across these 2 pics recently, says it all.

image.thumb.png.9bd023944cc1bd8e74fcf65fa4175aef.png

vzJPU1E34MbCcv9FK8__s379ECgXW3CdJqdwn7h5AeYZXhA5HibpmjlhuXiKvzo967vRwZmvVjc4btU=s640-nd

A question posed 2,200 years ago was "Quis custodiet ipsos custodies" or "who will guard the guards". 

Even Judge Dredd has the SJS - the Judges who judge the Judges. Cool uniform. 

Judge_Pin.jpg.83a1af90bce1cd2a42502dc5d2ea67ab.jpg

SJS Judge Pin perhaps not the best example, being batshit crazy. 

I know you don't mean or want that, but 'ooh it's all so difficult isn't it' is precisely what these people, for whom there's nothing difficult at all philosophically speaking, need and want. Sometimes a sledgehammer's just the right tool to crack a nut.
Very rarely is a sledgehammer the best tool, hence the saying.

I have zero tolerance for loud mouths who spout racism, anywhere. They need challenged, and they deserve whatever consequences they get.

But is there not a danger of the tactic of outing racists is so blunt and harsh that those people who are genuinely not that bright and could swing either way - are more likely to support the loud mouth racist types? I'm genuinely torn on this and concede that your more simplistic zero tolerance approach might be the best way.

It's difficult to make this case and like i say, I'm open to being persuaded, but surely there are different gradients of racist folk, from pure evil fuckers all the way to folk who do down know it's not right but still laugh or even share racist jokes.

I know whenever you start saying or sharing racist stuff then that makes you racist. But I'd like to see more attempts to convert the less bright aspects of our society to the good guy side, rather than dark side (so to speak). It obviously does f go on- and the blm debate in the media usually helps with that.

It's a bit like trying to rehabilitate wee neds who get into criminal behaviour when they're young. It's much better for all of us if we can try to turn them into functioning members of the society rather than just going for the easier option of punishing them harshly (although i do understand there are big issues with that analogy).

On 26/06/2020 at 15:11, pandarilla said:

Very rarely is a sledgehammer the best tool, hence the saying.

I have zero tolerance for loud mouths who spout racism, anywhere. They need challenged, and they deserve whatever consequences they get.

But is there not a danger of the tactic of outing racists is so blunt and harsh that those people who are genuinely not that bright and could swing either way - are more likely to support the loud mouth racist types? I'm genuinely torn on this and concede that your more simplistic zero tolerance approach might be the best way.

It's difficult to make this case and like i say, I'm open to being persuaded, but surely there are different gradients of racist folk, from pure evil fuckers all the way to folk who do down know it's not right but still laugh or even share racist jokes.

I know whenever you start saying or sharing racist stuff then that makes you racist. But I'd like to see more attempts to convert the less bright aspects of our society to the good guy side, rather than dark side (so to speak). It obviously does f go on- and the blm debate in the media usually helps with that.

It's a bit like trying to rehabilitate wee neds who get into criminal behaviour when they're young. It's much better for all of us if we can try to turn them into functioning members of the society rather than just going for the easier option of punishing them harshly (although i do understand there are big issues with that analogy).

I agree with you to an extent here. I think there is a big difference between racism due to ignorance (your average person in a small town in Scotland who has barely ever met a black person and hasn't ever thought about the topic) versus racism which is cynical and calculated (eg Farage, Johnson, Hopkins). If the latter don't have a platform then you get many few of the former.

7 hours ago, milhouse said:

Is there a good reason why analysis of people arrested/convicted based on race needs to be done at all? Is it relevant. Does it achieve anything useful?

Stopping the police being racist thuggish morons perhaps?

19 hours ago, milhouse said:

Is there a good reason why analysis of people arrested/convicted based on race needs to be done at all? Is it relevant. Does it achieve anything useful?

There's pretty much no good reason to not have as much data on stuff like this as possible. What if ethnic minorities were being imprisoned at far higher rates than the rate at which they committed crimes? Without collecting that data, you'd never know.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

There's pretty much no good reason to not have as much data on stuff like this as possible. What if ethnic minorities were being imprisoned at far higher rates than the rate at which they committed crimes? Without collecting that data, you'd never know.

But if they weren't committing crimes, they wouldn't be in jail...

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

But if they weren't committing crimes, they wouldn't be in jail...

Mmm hmm.

But if 80% of prisoners were black and black people only committed 10% of crimes. That would be something worth knowing and investigating.