George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

2 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

Why would he know his name? 

If it's the most easily identifying feature, why not? 

If he wore a different coloured top, say that. 

If 'he' was the only, woman, say that.

If he was to only bald guy, say that.

What's the difference? 

Why not go over to him and point him out?

The reason this is a big deal is because it doesn't ever happen. 

EDIT: In football of course.

Edited by Andre Drazen

Why would he have to refer to one of the coaches as black though surely he knows their name?
If he knew his name and described him as "the black one" then that's a whole other ball game and definitely a racist comment. I don't know if he knew the guy's name though but I really hope he didn't and it's just been a bit of naivety/ignorance rather than blatant racism.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
31 minutes ago, NotThePars said:
Why would he have to refer to one of the coaches as black though surely he knows their name?

If he knew his name and described him as "the black one" then that's a whole other ball game and definitely a racist comment. I don't know if he knew the guy's name though but I really hope he didn't and it's just been a bit of naivety/ignorance rather than blatant racism.

Both clubs walked off.

EDIT: Surely not EVERYONE misheard it. Not one Romanian in sight in that crowd of folk to say "hey, ya know"

Or even knowing the potential dialect.

Edited by Andre Drazen

Erm because he is living in the 21st century 
There's absolutely nothing wrong with using skin colour as an identifying feature when that's all your doing (assuming he didn't know his name, obviously).

But let's wait and see what was actually said rather than jumping to conclusions.

Just tried to argue with some posters on a millwall YouTube video.
Again and again all you hear is BLM is marxist we are booing them.
After nearly disappearing down that hole myself would like to say that the negative effect that social media has causing more and more people to be racist.

"Blm made me racist"

"All of football is against taking the knee"

"Blm encourages people to loot and fight the police, they are marxist"

Its the same shit again and again. They've been brainwashed.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using skin colour as an identifying feature when that's all your doing (assuming he didn't know his name, obviously).

But let's wait and see what was actually said rather than jumping to conclusions.

I would never ever use someone's skin colour to identify them, regardless of context.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

He said "the black one. The black one over there." Exactly. It was caught. No room for movement here. I'd call that "iffy" here but it's still a fair thing to call folk by all accounts.

Is it that way in mainland Europe? f**k knows. Would appear not though.

Just now, 101 said:

I would never ever use someone's skin colour to identify them, regardless of context.

It's used here regularly and I've not seen much problem with it. 

I think what we might be seeing is an ingrained intolerance compared to others.

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

Its just not done these days.

Times in boxing,  Black fighter against a white fighter for example. 

The commentary will say so and so is wearing the red socks etc instead of saying the fighters skin colour  

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

I don't think I've ever needed to but I have thought about the situation as it might arise here, where people of colour are less prevalent than say London.

In big work places you could go to ridiculous lengths not to mention it if you were asking a colleague to seek advice from someone else etc.

"You need Alex, he's really good at these, he's on the second floor, he's the only black guy.

Or

"You need Alex, he's really good at these, blue jumper today I think, sits near the window, at the back, at least he used to, got a load Star Wars shite on his desk..."

Or phone

"Alex, this clown has fucked up, can you come down and try to drum some sense in to him? No...send him up...what are you wearing"?

I mean fair enough referring to someone by their skin colour if you're trying to describe someone who isn't there but presumably everyone on the park can see each other. If the man doesn't know his name he can literally just point.

If you're trying to describe someone in a large group and and they're the only white/black/asian person in the group, I think it's perfectly reasonable to use that as a descriptor. If you're in a small group and you point at someone and say "the black one", I think it's pretty clear that isn't acceptable. It's one of these examples where aye, you can't write out a full proof of why it's technically 'a bit racist' but pretty much everyone that's been living in the world for the past 20 years should really know not to.

There's no doubt the closeness of the word 'negru' to 'negro' threw a whole load of oil on what was legitimately, at least, a small fire.

7 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

If you're trying to describe someone in a large group and and they're the only white/black/asian person in the group, I think it's perfectly reasonable to use that as a descriptor. If you're in a small group and you point at someone and say "the black one", I think it's pretty clear that isn't acceptable. It's one of these examples where aye, you can't write out a full proof of why it's technically 'a bit racist' but pretty much everyone that's been living in the world for the past 20 years should really know not to.

There's no doubt the closeness of the word 'negru' to 'negro' threw a whole load of oil on what was legitimately, at least, a small fire.

Would it be sexist if you were trying to identify a lone woman amongst a group of men by saying the female over there?  

I've no dog in the fight but interested in where a line is being drawn.

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Reducing someone’s identity to their race is wanky behaviour.

Absolutely yer da material.

How would you do it? I suppose you could say "just ask someone where he is" .

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

For a fine example of not using race to identify, watch any boxing match between a black and a non black fighter, where the commentators will get down to the colour of the stitching on their shorts if neccessary, rather than say x is the white guy and y is the black guy.

They seem to have known for a ling time that it's not acceptable to identify using race. Why a football official workign for UEFA in 2021 wouldnt know that is beyond me.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

For a fine example of not using race to identify, watch any boxing match between a black and a non black fighter, where the commentators will get down to the colour of the stitching on their shorts if neccessary, rather than say x is the white guy and y is the black guy.

It's been decades since they ditched the phrase "The Great White Hope".

Surely this guy knows enough about existing in the 21st century to know that:

a) Using skin colour as an identifier in a situation instead of "the guy 2nd from the left" is pretty fucking daft

b) Using the word "Negru" even if it is his native language for "black" would sound pretty fucking serious to anyone in earshot that doesn't happen to speak or understand his native language. 

I suspect UEFA will make a donation to an anti-racism charity, the 4th official will issue an apology of some sort and the game will need to be replayed as PSG can top the group with a win.