Cancel culture

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Other people can see him though,  just not at the Pleasance.  

I guess if you speak English like Twitter people this is a cancelling by wokery.  

It's not a free speech issue though.  Sadowitz is free to say whatever he wants.  He just can't use the Pleasance's stage to say it from. 

This is a commercial dispute.  The pleasance has decided they have some corporate values they want to protect and project.  They're entitled to do that.  

Considering what the Fringe is supposed to be,  I'm not convinced that positioning themselves next to Mary Whitehouse is great PR. 

Aye, and it may well bite them in the arse, as you can't imagine many acts being chuffed with the idea that the venue owners might decide to cancel their shows with no warning, especially as (commonly with transgressive comics) Sadowitz's material seems to be very popular with his colleagues.

Shocking that he's using his platform to cancel J** D*******, however. The anti-woke brigade will be all over that, no doubt  :P

13 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Other people can see him though,  just not at the Pleasance.  

I guess if you speak English like Twitter people this is a cancelling by wokery.  

It's not a free speech issue though.  Sadowitz is free to say whatever he wants.  He just can't use the Pleasance's stage to say it from. 

This is a commercial dispute.  The pleasance has decided they have some corporate values they want to protect and project.  They're entitled to do that.  

Considering what the Fringe is supposed to be,  I'm not convinced that positioning themselves next to Mary Whitehouse is great PR. 

Only thing I would take issue with there is that this isnt a "Fringe" issue its specifically Pleasance.

The Pleasance is a charity, as opposed to the other big operators, Assembly and Underbelly which are corporate horror shows who are there only to benefit some faceless London money guys.

Pleasance do a lot of work (and contribute a lot of funds) trying to elevate non white performers.

I suspect that, given the words used by JS, that this is at the heart of the issue. I spotted that JS hasnt yet addressed this in his twitter response to Pleasances (shite) press release.

10 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Only thing I would take issue with there is that this isnt a "Fringe" issue its specifically Pleasance.

The Pleasance is a charity, as opposed to the other big operators, Assembly and Underbelly which are corporate horror shows who are there only to benefit some faceless London money guys.

Pleasance do a lot of work (and contribute a lot of funds) trying to elevate non white performers.

I suspect that, given the words used by JS, that this is at the heart of the issue. I spotted that JS hasnt yet addressed this in his twitter response to Pleasances (shite) press release.

Very fair points

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, and it may well bite them in the arse, as you can't imagine many acts being chuffed with the idea that the venue owners might decide to cancel their shows with no warning, especially as (commonly with transgressive comics) Sadowitz's material seems to be very popular with his colleagues.

Shocking that he's using his platform to cancel J** D*******, however. The anti-woke brigade will be all over that, no doubt  :P

Surprised Jim hasn't got himself a nice wee slot on GB news yet,  in a sort of "Enoch Powell does Network" type of concept. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Who?

Exactly.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Surprised Jim hasn't got himself a nice wee slot on GB news yet,  in a sort of "Enoch Powell does Network" type of concept. 

I take it he's too expensive for them, or has enough self-awareness* to realise that showing his arse on reality TV didn't do him much good, so dropping his standards further wouldn't likely help.

* yeah, I know

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Exactly.

I take it he's too expensive for them, or has enough self-awareness* to realise that showing his arse on reality TV didn't do him much good, so dropping his standards further wouldn't likely help.

* yeah, I know

My dad once gave me a JD video tape (aye, showing my age !) for my birthday...............didnt want to offend him (ironic, eh) so I said thanks and binned it quietly later.

Its amazing how things have moved on, I can vividly remember being taken by him to "a smoker" where I think it was Joe Camay compering and a couple of strippers did oiled up wrestling at the end !

Ah, the 1980s 

Just now, Leith Green said:

My dad once gave me a JD video tape (aye, showing my age !) for my birthday...............didnt want to offend him (ironic, eh) so I said thanks and binned it quietly later.

Its amazing how things have moved on, I can vividly remember being taken by him to "a smoker" where I think it was Joe Camay compering and a couple of strippers did oiled up wrestling at the end !

Ah, the 1980s 

Joe Camay's act has never changed. My mate was at a do he appeared at a few weeks ago.

In an attempt not to offend, women, including staff, were asked to leave the room while he was on.

They were the lucky ones.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Joe Camay's act has never changed. My mate was at a do he appeared at a few weeks ago.

In an attempt not to offend, women, including staff, were asked to leave the room while he was on.

They were the lucky ones.

Jeez, he must be in his 80s now !

6 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Ah, the 1980s 

A guy I worked with was convinced I'd like J** D*******'s pantomimes, so loaned me his videotapes of them. Not sure how good a job I did of pretending to like them when I handed them back.

I liked Big Break back in the day, but I don't remember J** bringing out his old mate Chalky or airing his grievances with "shift-lifters" on that. Maybe he left it to John Virgo.

45 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Ah, the 1980s 

What is "a smoker" ? It's a term my bro in law has used. Now assume he likes oiled up stripper wrestling.

A guy I worked with was convinced I'd like J** D*******'s pantomimes, so loaned me his videotapes of them. Not sure how good a job I did of pretending to like them when I handed them back.
I liked Big Break back in the day, but I don't remember J** bringing out his old mate Chalky or airing his grievances with "shift-lifters" on that. Maybe he left it to John Virgo.

Finally clicked that the J** D******* folk are on about isn't Jim Delahunt.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Finally clicked that the J** D******* folk are on about isn't Jim Delahunt.

I thought it meant Joy Division.  Gave the last few pages a strange complexion.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Easy solution. Stop virtue signalling.

Can you please explain for us English speakers what you mean by "virtue signalling" and why this might be a bad thing. 

Because you wouldn't be misusing the phrase in the same way that trumpist-faragist arseholes do to mean "saying normal things",  would you?