Cancel culture

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You don't half talk some shite when you've got the bit between the teeth. 

Charming.

I find it bizarre that you don't think this is a PR decision. It's so obvious that anything other than complete distance between him and her leaves a potential problem. When dealing with big sums of money, you remove potential problems.

3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Charming.

I find it bizarre that you don't think this is a PR decision. It's so obvious that anything other than complete distance between him and her leaves a potential problem. When dealing with big sums of money, you remove potential problems.

And alienate hundreds of millions of Harry Potter fans? Aye right. His PR guys would have said say all you like about your support for the trans community, but stay well clear of JK, it's toxic. He chose to ignore them. Call it a hunch.

Edited by welshbairn

Like I said, it's a hunch.
I think a few posters are hiding behind Spiked to take the easy way out of reading the article and discussing it. I don't believe everyone on this thread who is slagging Spiked off knows anything about it at all.
Some do, of course. But I think a few are at it. No way of proving it, of course.

Stop being a coward and name names!

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

And alienate hundreds of millions of Harry Potter fans? Aye right. His PR guys would have said say all you like about your support for the trans community, but stay well clear of JK, it's toxic. He chose to ignore them. 

What does 'alienating Harry Potter fans' look like? How does it damage his career?

What damages his career is a potential gig in the future going to someone else because a studio is worried that he's got a bit of the transphobic bad PR about him.

Obviously, that's a bit of a leap forward from today, but that's how PR planning works. You nip that stuff in the bud.

He doesn't need JK Rowling anymore. But he needs good PR.

From my perspective the only real reason for keeping abreast of things that I disagree with is that I like to know what new ways of presenting things the other mob come up with. The old "Know your enemy" thing.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Fucking hell.

I know it might seem like an alien concept to you, but some people actually care about equality and the rights of people to live their life without being discriminated against.

What a life view that anybody who speaks up for a group of people is only doing so for personal gain. 

That's beautiful.

Now, whatever you do, don't go outside. Don't call anybody. Don't speak to anybody. Don't turn on your tv.

Just hold that thought and avoid the real world at all costs.

4 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

What does 'alienating Harry Potter fans' look like? How does it damage his career?

What damages his career is a potential gig in the future going to someone else because a studio is worried that he's got a bit of the transphobic bad PR about him.

Obviously, that's a bit of a leap forward from today, but that's how PR planning works. You nip that stuff in the bud.

He doesn't need JK Rowling anymore. But he needs good PR.

You don't think there are people on JK's side it wouldn't be in his £$£ interests to alienate unnecessarily? This is all bollocks anyway, 95% of the movie going public won't even have heard about this or take an interest in the issue. It's manufactured nonsense on twitter, unless you're in the tiny trans minority.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You don't think there are people on JK's side it wouldn't be in his £$£ interests to alienate unnecessarily? This is all bollocks anyway, 95% of the movie going public won't even have heard about this or take an interest in the issue. It's manufactured nonsense on twitter, unless you're in the tiny trans minority.

That's the point. Nobody really cares if he 'disowns' Rowling.

But it certainly gets attention in the media in general if the Guardian runs a story saying he has failed to distance himself from her transphobic comments.

We all know how the news works.

4 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

That's the point. Nobody really cares if he 'disowns' Rowling.

But it certainly gets attention in the media in general if the Guardian runs a story saying he has failed to distance himself from her transphobic comments.

We all know how the news works.

You clearly don't.

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I hated O Neill and fox since the days of Living Marxism

#spikedhipster

Lovely people. Although it wouldn't be fair to comment unless we read Spiked daily from cover to cover.

https://medium.com/@JRogan3000/spiked-online-ireland-and-brexit-767562a2fcc7

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Not reading that article or the ideas presented within.

Already decided it’s pish.

I would avoid reading this as well, even more pish.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/07/us-billionaires-hard-right-britain-spiked-magazine-charles-david-koch-foundation

image.png.1028549533d6bae32b39d1e8d87dd1a5.png

Me IRL en route to the spiked offices for a spot of good faith debate with Brendan and the lads. Made the effort to read everything they've ever published and have taken an ice pick to the part of my brain that remembered why Spiked exists. I'm sure they're really keen on some free exchange in the marketplace of ideas and that isn't a cover for something more sinister which makes them an irrelevant source of anything