Cancel culture

28 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'm interested in reading a non-biased article about the pre-WW2 economy in Germany. Can anyone tell me whether it's safe to ignore Der Sturmer is going to be just propaganda or do I have to read it to 'make up my own mind'?

I'd suggest the Daily Mail. 

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

People talking about TV shows and their content is deliberate muddying of the water to move discourse away from discussion about genuine prejudice and injustice in the real world.

Seems like overreach to suggest that people are doing that deliberately. It might have that effect but most people who bring up tv shows being withdrawn are doing it because it is an issue they can relate to and have a view on. 

So you agree that the tv shows being pulled is a step too far?

People are putting all these things together, and mixing up serious issues with trivial ones. That's my concern with the zealots that are pushing some of these campaigns.

If you're going to claim it's a conspiracy, created to distract from the real issues, then you're going to have to provide evidence for that.

https://m.soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/news-brief-the-harpers-letter-and-our-extremely-narrow-self-serving-definition-of-cancel-culture

Give this a listen, brother. Think it’s a good succinct critique of the letter.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Who actually took offense to The Mighty Boosh and The Simpsons? I don't know anyone, it was probably a newspaper latching on to a dafty on facebook. The same as "cancel culture", it's invented nonsense stirred up by modern day Jim Davidsons who can't get bookings because they're shit at what they do. 

P.S. You're getting your racist sitcoms mixed up, Alf Garnett was in Till Death us do Part.

Some people went to the lengths of making a documentary - The Problem with Apu.  You don't need hoards to be offended, there are enough people who get offended on their behalf.  Is Billy Connolly's Crucifixion sketch 'offensive'?   When we censor and ban things / people who are not breaking the law, we open up a huge can of worms.

The first I heard of 'cancel culture' was this thread. I am just trying to work out what it is. But If you get rid of the 'Jim Davidsons' who speak out against 'cancel culture' like Rowan Atkinson, John Steven Fry, Ricky Gervais, Jerry Seinfeld, you'll end up with Miranda feckin Hart.

My mention of Alf Garnet was another example of a sitcom where the makers said that they are not racist because the racist was the butt of the joke.  It was in responce to the mention about Curb Your Enthusiasm. My point is, who decides Curb Your Enthusiasm is acceptable, Alf Garent not? 

4 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

Some people went to the lengths of making a documentary - The Problem with Apu.  You don't need hoards to be offended, there are enough people who get offended on their behalf.  Is Billy Connolly's Crucifixion sketch 'offensive'?   When we censor and ban things / people who are not breaking the law, we open up a huge can of worms.

The first I heard of 'cancel culture' was this thread. I am just trying to work out what it is. But If you get rid of the 'Jim Davidsons' who speak out against 'cancel culture' like Rowan Atkinson, John Steven Fry, Ricky Gervais, Jerry Seinfeld, you'll end up with Miranda feckin Hart.

My mention of Alf Garnet was another example of a sitcom where the makers said that they are not racist because the racist was the butt of the joke.  It was in responce to the mention about Curb Your Enthusiasm. My point is, who decides Curb Your Enthusiasm is acceptable, Alf Garent not? 

Apu's a bit different. The Simpson's is clearly a family show and if Pakistani and Indian kids are being bullied at school because of it, it's something that needs looking at. I think adult comedy shows should pretty well get freedom to do what they want, if they do something that truly offends a lot of people, and don't stop it, advertisers will pull out and the show will get pulled, or Ofcom will get stuck into the BBC. Some campaign by twiteratti odd balls should be ignored, like all this talk of a cancel culture. I don't know what it means either. Blatant racism hasn't been a profitable part of a comedian's repertoire since Bernard Manning popped his clogs, I really doubt that many sane people are seriously offended by Papa Lazarou in the League of Gentlemen for example, or the German paedo come to that.

3 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Jim Davidson is a horrid racist moron.  Any reason to cancel him is a good one.

But, but, but...'is mayt Chawkee don't mind. Ee finks it's jast a good larf..

23 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Jim Davidson is a horrid racist moron.  Any reason to cancel him is a good one.

But where will it end? There won't be anything left on TV if we just cancel every TV show for one reason or another! I'm very intelligent for thinking like this apparently.

6 hours ago, Mr Waldo said:

I mean Stephen Fry, Ricky Gervais and Jerry Seinfeld have managed to spend the entirety of Miranda Hart's career without saying anything funny either so they're hardly a big loss anymore.

13 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I've been rewatching the Simpsons over the past few months and last week got on to the episode Gervais wrote back in 2006 or so recently. I remembered not liking it at the time but I was blown away at how bad it was, absolutely awful. Easily the worst so far, just not funny at all. The man's done nothing good since Extras and even looking back that's a bit ropey. A lot of his work since then just comes across as either unnecessarily cruel, or just Gervais spouting his own opinions with barely even the pretence of a character laid over them. 

The Terrace podcast did a good hatchet job on him on one of their lockdown episodes, would recommend it. It is truly amazing he's still getting work imo. 

Has Ricky Gervais ever mentioned that he's an atheist? 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I mean Stephen Fry, Ricky Gervais and Jerry Seinfeld have managed to spend the entirety of Miranda Hart's career without saying anything funny either so they're hardly a big loss anymore.

I'd give you a greenie, but I like Stephen Fry! 

If you read most of this thread you'd think the only people decrying cancel culture were right-wing bigots.  If you do a bit of digging, that's not the case.

54 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

I'd give you a greenie, but I like Stephen Fry! 

If you read most of this thread you'd think the only people decrying cancel culture were right-wing bigots.  If you do a bit of digging, that's not the case.

The Loony Left are the real fascists mate

Apu's a bit different. The Simpson's is clearly a family show and if Pakistani and Indian kids are being bullied at school because of it, it's something that needs looking at. I think adult comedy shows should pretty well get freedom to do what they want, if they do something that truly offends a lot of people, and don't stop it, advertisers will pull out and the show will get pulled, or Ofcom will get stuck into the BBC. Some campaign by twiteratti odd balls should be ignored, like all this talk of a cancel culture. I don't know what it means either. Blatant racism hasn't been a profitable part of a comedian's repertoire since Bernard Manning popped his clogs, I really doubt that many sane people are seriously offended by Papa Lazarou in the League of Gentlemen for example, or the German paedo come to that.
I'm not entirely convinced by the 'nothing to see here' defence being put forward here (and by others).

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm not entirely convinced by the 'nothing to see here' defence being put forward here (and by others).

What's changed in the last 20 years regarding material that could stop a comedian or someone getting gigs or other work? This cancelling thing is just invented on twitter. If people don't like what you have to say and won't buy a ticket, you won't get a platform, same as it's always been.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What's changed in the last 20 years regarding material that could stop a comedian or someone getting gigs or other work? This cancelling thing is just invented on twitter. If people don't like what you have to say and won't buy a ticket, you won't get a platform, same as it's always been.

There's probably been a change of pace with the instant feedback and fast escalation on (mainly) twitter.  Apart from that it feels like little has changed in principle. Most of this stuff sounds like a reprise of the "no platforming" debates of 10-15 years ago except with a lot of american chancers i've never heard of .

3 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I've been rewatching the Simpsons over the past few months and last week got on to the episode Gervais wrote back in 2006 or so recently. I remembered not liking it at the time but I was blown away at how bad it was, absolutely awful. Easily the worst so far, just not funny at all. The man's done nothing good since Extras and even looking back that's a bit ropey. A lot of his work since then just comes across as either unnecessarily cruel, or just Gervais spouting his own opinions with barely even the pretence of a character laid over them. 

The Terrace podcast did a good hatchet job on him on one of their lockdown episodes, would recommend it. It is truly amazing he's still getting work imo. 

Recently rewatched Extras and it was better than I recall.

Also, After Life is really good.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Who has been cancelled? Like genuinely cancelled as opposed to receiving mild criticism in between hosting the Golden Globes, promoting their new Netflix series and preaching to their millions of Twitter followers?

If you want to talk about cancelled let's talk about Colin Kaepernick