The Theatre Thread

Inspired by watching the absolutely fucking sensational Hamilton on Disney+ I thought I'd get a thread going on stage shows.

Might die a death on a football forum but, if nothing else, can be a place for saying just how horrific those Celtic/Rangers 'plays' are that pop up every so often at the Pavilion.

Does anyone have a favourite show they've seen from down the years or a favourite venue? Anyone had high hopes going to see a show only for it to be so dreadful that you've walked out at the interval? Are you one of those who wouldn't be seen dead going to a musical? Discuss.

I enjoyed every time I have been to the theatre although that has been very seldom.  I see nothing wrong with it but I simply haven't bother that much.

Eden Court is the obvious place in Inverness but I have also seen shows in London and New York.   Why haven't I seen more?  Don't know.  Just haven't pushed myself enough.   Frightened it might be a total bore but in all honesty it never has been.

I have to admit a certain respect for actors who can't say "cut", have to repeat the same performance night after night and have to project their voices too.

No objections to musicals if there is a storyline too.  Once watched Evita on video starring Madonna.  No storyline just one song after another - like MTV.  Didn't enjoy that although some of the songs were good.

Love going to the theatre for musicals. Seen a load of them. Wicked or Miss Saigon probably my favourites but never seen one I didn’t enjoy. Went to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway and that was an experience I’ll never forget. Looking forward to being able to go again.

I've been to quite a few plays over the years. It started at school where our Higher English teacher was passionate about theatre and took us on regular trips, especially during the Fringe where she loved to take us to a Landfill Shakespeare in a Church Hall. But she also advocated we went to see things like Trainspotting (before the film). A cool teacher!

I then had a regular presence at The Traverse during my student days, which I've since allowed to taper off, to my frustration. Partly when the student discount ran out it got expensive, partly I moved into that boring domesticated suburban existence, which I've fled now.

From that 90s era I've got a few scripts in my bookcase. Fond memories of Passing Places, my memory is that Colin McCredie was tremendous. It's a story about a surf shop in Motherwell, a drugs deal and a road trip.

I remember attending a script reading of Gagarin Way by Gregory Burke which was spine tingling.

So it went on. I had a few months on secondment in New York where I went to all sorts of Broadway and Off Broadway shows. Julius Ceasar with Denzil Washington sticks out.

Enquirer by Deborah Orr for NTS made a big impression on me.

More recently Lanark at The Lyceum was sensational; and I loved Local Hero, so much I went twice.

But a highlight of late was watching The Letters of Ivor Punch by Colin McIntyre, which was emotional, I'm such a fan of his music.

So I've been to plenty over the years, but in fits and spurts. Would love to get back to something, anything, theatre based. Just to be in a dark room with that wee buzz when the lights go down. IMG_20200711_225756.jpeg

Strange but true: I've seen three Dr Who actors in stage.

Colin Baker in a murder mystery at the King's in Edinburgh, Sylvester McCoy in an updated version of the Their Estates and an then unknown actor called Matt Smith in the History Boys in Glasgow 

And from Blake's 7 I also saw Paul Darrow in a production of Guards Guards and Gareth Thomas was part of the company at the Brunton for a while and I saw him in Twelve Night 

One play I do have fond memories of was a one man show by Leslie Nielson about the famous US lawyer Clarence Darrow. He was very good in it.

I went to see the opera for the first time back in November. Tosca, at the HMT (His Majesty's Theatre). It was one of the most profoundly magical experiences of my life. I've been a classical music fan since I was a wee boy, but I'd always been intimidated by the idea of opera, thinking it would be too long. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were not one, but two intervals, meaning I could get middle-class jaked on my pre-ordered drinks. 

I'm hooked now and genuinely can't wait to go again. I cried my eyes out at some of the arias and I was utterly spellbound at the sheer power of the vocals of the two leads. 

Aye, theatre is magic. 

Good thread amigo.

No objections to musicals if there is a storyline too.  Once watched Evita on video starring Madonna.  No storyline just one song after another - like MTV.  Didn't enjoy that although some of the songs were good.

Theres no storyline in Evita? It tells the story from her childhood through to her death?

For me Les Miserables is the best musical, followed by the storyline-less Evita, the Miss Saigon. Matilda is pretty good. At the other end Phantom of the Opera I thought was shit and Cats was utterly awful.

First one I saw was Evita in London in the late ‘70s, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera and Cats I seen at the Edinburgh playhouse.

I’ve seen the anniversary tours of Evita and Les Miserables and a tour of Matilda here in Singapore. There two main theatres here are pretty decent, but good shows are few and far between now.

I have a lot of friends in the theatre industry, so these days I have a lot of friends who are unemployed so I quite enjoy going to a show.  Probably the best I have seen is "The Book of Mormon" but there have been some other shows put on by local theatres I have seen that have been pretty fantastic as well.  

I hate musicals with a passion, theatre, television, high school, whatever. But...when Mrs Shotgun & I were in New York a few years ago, I finally gave in to 20  odd years of nagging and agreed to go to one. We got tickets for "A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder." I was dreading it but I rationalised, if you have to see a musical anywhere, Broadway's the place to do it. And I'll admit, I quite enjoyed it. (It went on to win 4 Tony Awards that year.) Thing was; it wasn't a spectacle and that's what I'd been hoping for. I'd heard all this guff about the fireworks and glamour of a Broadway musical and fun though AGGtL&M was, it didn't have that.

So, when we were back again a couple of years later, I once more succumbed and let her get tickets to Phantom of the Opera. Now I know it sounds stupid now, but I hadn't realised how much of the music would be, well...Opera. I spent most of the evening staring at the ceiling, wishing I'd brought ear plugs and trying not to think how much this was costing. I sank 3 whiskies at half time, which was approximately a mortgage payment but it was well worth it. Ugh.

And then, on a business trip last year, my boss  took a bunch of us to see Wicked. Other than our group, I counted 6 other males in the place and I'm pretty sure they were gay couples but honestly, I fair enjoyed myself. I'd recommend it, if you're into that sort of thing. Me, I'd be quite happy not to see another one.  

Edited by Shotgun

Never ever seen seen a theatre show, pantomime, pop concert in my life. Won a radio competition to see a premier of a stage show. Wife went out and got a new hairdo, new dress, shoes, full monty. I got stuck on a job and my (former) boss would not answer his phone so l still ain’t seen a theatre show. 
The following day, the radio station called me live on air to ask why I never made the show!

2 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Theres no storyline in Evita? It tells the story from her childhood through to her death?

Okay.  I used the wrong words.

Wizard of Oz is a musical but there is something going on in between songs. 

By contrast Evita is 100% songs.

I was in London back in February and saw "Witness for the Prosecution" even though I already knew the story.  Very enjoyable.

Several well known films started off as stage plays.  These include

Twelve Angry Men

Arsenic and Old Lace

One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

Stalag 17

Okay.  I used the wrong words.
Wizard of Oz is a musical but there is something going on in between songs. 
By contrast Evita is 100% songs.

That makes sense. Many musicals tell the story through the songs and for myself at least, that shows the talent in the writing, but each to their own.

I would score a musical higher if their were no speaking parts than one that relied on dialogue to move the story along.

I hate musicals with a passion, theatre, television, high school, whatever. But...when Mrs Shotgun & I were in New York a few years ago, I finally gave in to 20  odd years of nagging and agreed to go to one. We got tickets for "A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder." I was dreading it but I rationalised, if you have to see a musical anywhere, Broadway's the place to do it. And I'll admit, I quite enjoyed it. (It went on to win 4 Tony Awards that year.) Thing was; it wasn't a spectacle and that's what I'd been hoping for. I'd heard all this guff about the fireworks and glamour of a Broadway musical and fun though AGGtL&M was, it didn't have that.
So, when we were back again a couple of years later, I once more succumbed and let her get tickets to Phantom of the Opera. Now I know it sounds stupid now, but I hadn't realised how much of the music would be, well...Opera. I spent most of the evening staring at the ceiling, wishing I'd brought ear plugs and trying not to think how much this was costing. I sank 3 whiskies at half time, which was approximately a mortgage payment but it was well worth it. Ugh.
And then, on a business trip last year, my boss  took a bunch of us to see Wicked. Other than our group, I counted 6 other males in the place and I'm pretty sure they were gay couples but honestly, I fair enjoyed myself. I'd recommend it, if you're into that sort of thing. Me, I'd be quite happy not to see another one.  

I do like the whole idea of the musical, a night out, chance of a bevvy or two and watch a live performance.

I’d say try a musical again, as (again for me). Phantom of the Opera is fucking awful. I was the same funnily, downing whisky to get through it and only Cats surpassed my whisky intake. Awful stuff.

Several factors make a musical good: music, story and production. The Cameron Mackintosh productions are usually very good.

On your comment on gays. When living in Budapest, I went to see the Nutcracker (a kind of must do in that region at Christmas). It was okay, not my idea of fun, but again, the Christmas vibe made it good. Two guys behind us who had to be clearly gay were the first to stand up and clap and last to sit down at the end, clapping like mad and screaming ‘Bravo’ in high pitched tones constantly. Was more entertainment than the show.

Moo ducky watch it.

The last show I saw was Night of the Living Dead at the Dundee Rep.

This was a word for word and shot for shot remake of the original film. There were cameras on the stage and two screens above. One showing the original film and one showing the action as it unfolded on stage. I'd say they had it around 95% spot on.

It was very well done. My only, minor, complaint is that there was quite a lot to take in between the action on stage and the two screens.

I normally go to the Dundee Rep around 2 or 3 times a year. I've seen some really good stuff but also some utter bollocks as well.

The best thing I've ever seen as Black Watch it did the circuit a few times but not for a while now.

Seen some good stuff and some pretty hopeless stuff. I like David Grieg's work it tends to be excellent even if you don't think the show sounds like your kind of thing.