WoSFL Premier Division thread

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

At the other end, Troon got a bonus three points yesterday which really helps them. Bottom three teams must be crapping themselves slightly.

Just for comparison, average points won per game.

This year's bottom 4 currently

Rabs 1 point per game

Glens 0.75

Arthurlie 0.73

Meadow 0.61

This time last year.

Troon 1.06

Buffs 1

Cambuslang 0.82

Peasy 0.61

The bottom 3 this time last year all went down, even with us picking up 14 points from our last 9 games and ending 3rd bottom.

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

Talbot would likely overtake Clydebank on goal difference if we won our games in hand. Quite mad considering they had 6 points from our head to heads. 

I don't think for a minute we will do that BTW, but the rate that the main contenders are currently hemorrhaging points is a growing source of regret that we were so bad at the start of the season and have left ourselves too much to do to get back in the hunt. 7 or 8 points better off and I'd have given us as good a chance as anyone else at this point. I think that a few teams are still a bit better than us on paper but if their arses are beginning to squeak that would have leveled the playing field somewhat. 

Apart from that it's going to be an interesting run-in - Darvel, St Cadoc's, Clydebank, and Beith all possible winners. 

Think we've shat the bed tbh. This is our best chance of getting out this league but our players can't roll up there sleeves and be prepared for a battle. Long way 2 go and think every team will drop points due 2 how good the teams r. Gartcairn in 7th or 8th totally outplayed us and they'll defo be up there next season 2 add 2 what's already there. CMON MOFF SORT IT OUT BEFORE ITS 2 LATE. 

Mon the papers

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Just for comparison, average points won per game.

This year's bottom 4 currently

Rabs 1 point per game

Glens 0.75

Arthurlie 0.73

Meadow 0.61

This time last year.

Troon 1.06

Buffs 1

Cambuslang 0.82

Peasy 0.61

The bottom 3 this time last year all went down, even with us picking up 14 points from our last 9 games and ending 3rd bottom.

That's a great stat that. Very interesting.

The last three need to get the finger out. Bet they all wish they could play Pollok every week. 😉

On 10/02/2024 at 20:11, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.edbb9ccaa92f6379c39e1835b5181df5.png

image.png.bd1f31768b1d03451cc9853399b6d169.png

League is well distorted at the moment, Cumnock in 2nd place however played 7 games more than others. Hurlford in 10th if they win their games in hand go ahead of Clydebank by 2 points (hypothetical I know). Talbot for all the relegation chat early in season can go level on points with Clydebank I think tells you a lot they were written off and slagged off for not spending money etc...they won't be far away. Beith can still go 6 clear if they win their games in hand and I certainly wouldn't rule out St Cadocs, they have Clydebank to play home and away that is a massive 2 games. We can go 4 clear of Clydebank as well, for us we need to rely on good run on the injury front and no stupid suspensions kicking in, we've still got one of the best starting 11 in league however not got the depth of other teams. For me although Gartcairn will have big influence, they are not in the running, they are far stronger now than they were at start of season and I reckon they will be a force next season. 

I know there is a long way to go however don't think youll get a better title race in any league round the world than the West Prem this year. When you contrast that to the one horse race in the league above I know what one I think is more interesting. Not sure how league fixtures work in terms on them starting to level out, however hoping there is a bit more balance to games played before we get further into the league. 

8 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

With Clydebank miles ahead on games to their rivals for the league, do you view this as a help or hindering them on winning the league. 

Out all cups so they are solely focused on league

Points on the board are always better than games in hand, in my opinion.

54 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

With Clydebank miles ahead on games to their rivals for the league, do you view this as a help or hindering them on winning the league. 

Out all cups so they are solely focused on league

I can't really see how it hinders them other than that they don't have enough points on the board from the extra games to stop them being overtaken by one of the other sides. 

5 minutes ago, Shanner said:

I can't really see how it hinders them other than that they don't have enough points on the board from the extra games to stop them being overtaken by one of the other sides. 

Wasn't sure if stop start competitive fixtures might effect them, or on the other hand can help them with injury issues.

29 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Wasn't sure if stop start competitive fixtures might effect them, or on the other hand can help them with injury issues.

It must be better than playing every midweek but I get your point. If they had put more points on the board up until now there would be no question about who the favourites were. 

Interesting weekend in West Premier with 1st and 2nd not playing. 

Clash of the day at New Tinto St Cadocs v Darvel - and you've got to say that the winner of this keeps themselves in the mix - loser starts to look less likely. A draw suits neither so hopefully thats what happens. 

Last chance saloon for Pollok .. and Arthurlie desperate for a win. See what Pollok turns up - but again a draw wouldn't be out the question - killing off Pollok's chances you'd think. 

Talbot on a great run and up against Benburb. You just dont know what Bens will turn up but with Talbot only losing once this year - and scoring for fun then they must be favourites. Keeping the pressure on at the top. 

Gartcairn v Troon - Home side with cash to burn it seems and strengthening at will - up against Troon who have a bit of form. Gartcairn need to win to have any chance of title ( next season will be their push I think though ) and I think they'll get it. 

Hurlford v Glenafton - Ford at home are impressive - unbeaten since October. Glenafton lost last 3. Think points are staying at Blair Park and the visitors in deeper trouble ( albeit with a few games in hand )

Kirky v Beith - Beith have only won 1 from last 4 ( against the leaders ) and Rob Roy unbeaten this year. However the game is huge for Beith. If they can keep 11 on the park then think they'll take full points. Tricky one though. 

Largs v Irvine Meadow - Home side have been up and down but have had some big results. Meadow won last time out against Pollok but that was their only league win since Sept. Cant see anything other than a home win to put Largs safe I think. 

So my predictions 

St Cadocs 1 Darvel 1

Arthurlie 2 Pollok 2

Talbot 3 Bens 1

Gartcairn 2 Troon 1

Hurlford 3 Glenafton 0

Kirky 1 Beith 2

Largs 2 Meadow 0

ie a great day for Beith 

49 minutes ago, BANKIEBILL said:

Clash of the day at New Tinto St Cadocs v Darvel - and you've got to say that the winner of this keeps themselves in the mix - loser starts to look less likely. A draw suits neither so hopefully thats what happens. 

Last chance saloon for Pollok .. and Arthurlie desperate for a win. See what Pollok turns up - but again a draw wouldn't be out the question - killing off Pollok's chances you'd think. 

Talbot on a great run and up against Benburb. You just dont know what Bens will turn up but with Talbot only losing once this year - and scoring for fun then they must be favourites. Keeping the pressure on at the top. 

Gartcairn v Troon - Home side with cash to burn it seems and strengthening at will - up against Troon who have a bit of form. Gartcairn need to win to have any chance of title ( next season will be their push I think though ) and I think they'll get it. 

Hurlford v Glenafton - Ford at home are impressive - unbeaten since October. Glenafton lost last 3. Think points are staying at Blair Park and the visitors in deeper trouble ( albeit with a few games in hand )

Kirky v Beith - Beith have only won 1 from last 4 ( against the leaders ) and Rob Roy unbeaten this year. However the game is huge for Beith. If they can keep 11 on the park then think they'll take full points. Tricky one though. 

Largs v Irvine Meadow - Home side have been up and down but have had some big results. Meadow won last time out against Pollok but that was their only league win since Sept. Cant see anything other than a home win to put Largs safe I think. 

So my predictions 

St Cadocs 1 Darvel 1

Arthurlie 2 Pollok 2

Talbot 3 Bens 1

Gartcairn 2 Troon 1

Hurlford 3 Glenafton 0

Kirky 1 Beith 2

Largs 2 Meadow 0

ie a great day for Beith 

^^^^^ The type of post which should appear more regularly 👏

1 hour ago, BANKIEBILL said:

So my predictions 

St Cadocs 1 Darvel 1

Arthurlie 2 Pollok 2

Talbot 3 Bens 1

Gartcairn 2 Troon 1

Hurlford 3 Glenafton 0

Kirky 1 Beith 2

Largs 2 Meadow 0

ie a great day for Beith 

You couldn't back the Bens on a coupon so in consistent and games you think they will win they lose and games you think they will lose they will win. I think this is the hardest game to predict. 

St Cadocs on their home patch will be difficult, draw will suit you.  A win for St Cadocs and things heat up for you, on a crappy astro and our low squad numbers that could be a factor as well. I actually think for the bankies a Darvel win is your best result. I think St Cadocs will finish stronger due to larger squad etc...we are focusing on the big one the Scottish Cup. 

I think Pollok will have enough in them to scrape a win, that said still don't know about the situation with players get paid etc...heard Maxi paid them himself the other week. Arthurlie will put up a good fight as desperate for points. It is a game giving the rain I wouldn't be surprised to see off. 

I think Gartcairn will win comfortably this weekend, Troon another inconsistent team also hanging in just above the drop. 

Beith seem hell bent on throwing the league, heard struggling for numbers not a huge squad. Even strain has had to be on the bench and not just as manager. KRR could be the surprise result of the week.

I fancy a draw in glens v hurlford. Glens are improving however not convinced it is going to be quick enough to avoid the drop. 

Great result for IM last weekend and Ben Carson seems to be getting improvement out of the squad, I wouldn't put it past IM to nick this by a goal. 

Gartcairn aren't in title race, they will have a lot of influence this season. Next season I think they will be up there. Too many points lost this season, got stronger as the season went on. 

Beith are still real contenders however need to find some form again. 

Said for a couple of months St Cadocs could be the team to surprise everyone.

We are very much in it however good fortune will be needed as a couple of injuries or suspensions limits our team drastically. 

A good run from Hurlford and they could be back in the fold. Loads of games in hand and can over take you should they win them all. 

Talbot for their very poor start and despite having a very young and inexperienced team are not dead and buried yet, 

If St Cadocs beat us, I think you need to beat them twice to secure the league. They are your biggest games of the season. If you lose them and we happen to beat you at home then I think your season is over. Your still in a strong position however I think you need maximum points from the 2 games v St Cadocs and the game away to us, I actually think you have a fairly tough run in.  

3 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

I think Pollok will have enough in them to scrape a win, that said still don't know about the situation with players get paid etc...heard Maxi paid them himself the other week. Arthurlie will put up a good fight as desperate for points. It is a game giving the rain I wouldn't be surprised to see off. 

The rule of thumb with our pitch is that given 6 hours of dry weather it normally drains. Weather looks better for the lead up to the game so would hope would be ok. Will be heavy though. 

8 hours ago, Lokloyal said:

At the moment we can’t win any game and are a million miles away from mounting any challenge in the league-frankly with the players now turning out I just hope we can avoid relegation 

Don't see a relegation battle on the cards but I do agree that a title challenge from the current position is well beyond us. Lost four of five this calendar year and only one of which you would have considered to be a real tough one on paper(with no disrespect intended to Glenafton, KRR, Largs or Medda). Some very good players in the squad but last week's performance screamed "end of season" to me, which is a big concern in mid-February. Not confident for the weekend. 

Some good games up and down the league on Saturday.  Of all the teams at the top end of the table, St Cadoc's are the ones who impressed me the least when we played them(haven't seen Darvel to comment) but they are obviously doing something right given that they are right in the mix. Would expect Talbot to win and just about stay in touch. Bit of pressure on Beith to get a result against a team in decent form. 

1 hour ago, Dean Learner said:

Don't see a relegation battle on the cards but I do agree that a title challenge from the current position is well beyond us. Lost four of five this calendar year and only one of which you would have considered to be a real tough one on paper(with no disrespect intended to Glenafton, KRR, Largs or Medda). Some very good players in the squad but last week's performance screamed "end of season" to me, which is a big concern in mid-February. Not confident for the weekend. 

Some good games up and down the league on Saturday.  Of all the teams at the top end of the table, St Cadoc's are the ones who impressed me the least when we played them(haven't seen Darvel to comment) but they are obviously doing something right given that they are right in the mix. Would expect Talbot to win and just about stay in touch. Bit of pressure on Beith to get a result against a team in decent form. 

Enough points on board to stay up you'll pick up wins. However think you as you will awknowledge yourself will be miles off the top. 

Next season a tougher one, unsure how bad the financial situation is really or how long the players are under contract. Id be certain you'll still be in west prep next season. 

If Clydebank against the odds don't manage to get promoted this season, next year will be, for any neutral, an interesting one. 

Gartcairn will have a more established team and I would imagine strengthened further right from the start of the season. 

We will be an unknown, I think still up and around top few sides however the seasons beyond that we wait and see. 

Pollok are another team going through off field issues, don't think they will be a force they once were however still confident they'll be mid table.

Talbot have unexpectedly built a good young side when early in season calls for Tuckers head were heard. They'll obviously get stronger and can already hold their own against any side. With cash to burn and sponsors wanting to spend money, one or two big signings would make them once again an impressive side. However a spanner in the works would be if Talbot somehow manage to beat us and then go on to win the Scottish, unlikely I know, does tucker and co retire on a high?

Beith I can see sliding down the league next season to around mid table. 3/4 players already meant to be on pre-contracts at JB. 

Clydebank if they don't get promoted in the best chance they have ever had, could see themselves needing to splash the cash further. To keep up, it will be a stronger league next season so if their players aren't good enough this season then for me I don't see them getting that chance again anytime soon. I still think they are favorites however the two games against St Cadocs and one against us will determine their fate. 

Teams like Johnstone Burgh who are throwing stupid money around will be a tough one to gauge, will it be another boom and bust situation for them? They will certainly make it an interesting league. 

Other teams potentially coming up are KW and SBA, would welcome them back. 

I would however like to see Glens and IM survive in west prem this year. 

Long way to go this season however next season will be just as interesting.

Can we retain the scottish cup?

1 hour ago, rhubarb1974 said:

If Clydebank against the odds don't manage to get promoted this season, next year will be, for any neutral, an interesting one. 

Gartcairn will have a more established team and I would imagine strengthened further right from the start of the season. 

We will be an unknown, I think still up and around top few sides however the seasons beyond that we wait and see. 

Pollok are another team going through off field issues, don't think they will be a force they once were however still confident they'll be mid table.

Talbot have unexpectedly built a good young side when early in season calls for Tuckers head were heard. They'll obviously get stronger and can already hold their own against any side. With cash to burn and sponsors wanting to spend money, one or two big signings would make them once again an impressive side. However a spanner in the works would be if Talbot somehow manage to beat us and then go on to win the Scottish, unlikely I know, does tucker and co retire on a high?

Beith I can see sliding down the league next season to around mid table. 3/4 players already meant to be on pre-contracts at JB. 

Clydebank if they don't get promoted in the best chance they have ever had, could see themselves needing to splash the cash further. To keep up, it will be a stronger league next season so if their players aren't good enough this season then for me I don't see them getting that chance again anytime soon. I still think they are favorites however the two games against St Cadocs and one against us will determine their fate. 

Teams like Johnstone Burgh who are throwing stupid money around will be a tough one to gauge, will it be another boom and bust situation for them? They will certainly make it an interesting league. 

Other teams potentially coming up are KW and SBA, would welcome them back. 

I would however like to see Glens and IM survive in west prem this year. 

Long way to go this season however next season will be just as interesting.

Can we retain the scottish cup?

How can u retain something u haven't won where has u say Talbot to somehow manage to beat us erm darvel 0 scottish cup Talbot 14 I think my money would be on Talbot has for ur rubbish u spout on here go and get a life cause darvel will not win the scottish write Talbot off if u want people have done for years ie against pollok 86 against the glenafton 92 oh guess what we won so put that pipe up ur backend and smoke it 

17 minutes ago, allyg1977 said:

How can u retain something u haven't won where has u say Talbot to somehow manage to beat us erm darvel 0 scottish cup Talbot 14 I think my money would be on Talbot has for ur rubbish u spout on here go and get a life cause darvel will not win the scottish write Talbot off if u want people have done for years ie against pollok 86 against the glenafton 92 oh guess what we won so put that pipe up ur backend and smoke it 

I personally don't think you have a chance over two legs, I wanted you in the semis. Final different one off game, without a doubt the favourites would be Talbot however in the semis well be far too much for you over two legs.