The George Galloway "Unity Party" thread

Ross.

40 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Shows how far George has come when he has the support of the ex National Front and BNP leader.

Top grifting.

I've bet on the whipless Labour candidate, bookies often get political odds wrong, they're likely just trying to balance their books after a load of money went on the old grifter George.

Despite what he’s been up to for the last 15 years, Galloway is still less of a piece of shit than every single demon that voted for the Iraq war. He stood up to the entirety of the British state and told them to go f**k themselves at a time very few other politicians would even dare to speak out against the invasion. Just look at what they did to Charles Kennedy. 

Galloway is still a massive arsehole, being right about Iraq doesn't change that. He will almost certainly be elected in Rochdale tonight, enjoy the attention he gets, then never set foot in the place again, as per his usual modus operandi.

44 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Saw a woman on Youtube last night saying I'm a Labour voter, i've always voted Labour so I'll be voting Labour tomorrow.......where is she going to find that wee box to tick?

I think the Labour guy will still have 'Labour' in his box.  It was too late to withdraw him as a candidate so he'll win but sit as an independent MP.

47 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Saw a woman on Youtube last night saying I'm a Labour voter, i've always voted Labour so I'll be voting Labour tomorrow.......where is she going to find that wee box to tick?

The ballot papers had already been printed and postal ballots sent out before the Daily Mail Lee Wallaced the Labour candidate.

If he wins Galloway will have been elected an MP - rather than defecting/etc. - representing 3 different parties: Labour x4, Respect x2, and now Workers. (He also ran unsuccessfully as an MSP under 'All for Unity').

Can't be many politicians ever managed that hat-trick?

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

If he wins Galloway will have been elected an MP - rather than defecting/etc. - representing 3 different parties: Labour x4, Respect x2, and now Workers. (He also ran unsuccessfully as an MSP under 'All for Unity').

Can't be many politicians ever managed that hat-trick?

Even the majority of grifting b*****d politicians have their limits on how many faces they'll present to the electorate. Not Galloway though - he'll take any amount of far right support to retain what he mistakenly might assume to be relevance. Has he still got a QotS season ticket? 

2 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Who's the female thats gone from one party to the other?

Can't remember her name.

Been a few, one of the more recent was Lisa Cameron, SNP MP, now a Tory MP

I had it in my head that David Owen had been a Tory at one time, but apparently not. He declared on three: Labour, SDP, and the Alliance. Could've made it four if he'd stuck around for the Social & Liberal Democrats.

Tasmina's the undisputed queen, and has plenty of time to go when Alba stops being (somehow) profitable for her. They always seem to start their own party in the end.

Seems nobody has ever been elected to Westminster for 3 distinct parties (there were some 'Liberal Unionist' tickets pre-WWI and 'National Labour' between the wars).

Closest were Oswald Moseley 😬...

won Harrow for Conservatives in 1918, 1922 and 1923
won Smethwick for Labour in 1924 and 1929

3rd in Stoke-on-Trent for New Party in 1931 (his wife had won for Labour in 1929)
4th in Kensington North for Union Movement in 1959
3rd in Shoreditch & Finsbury for Union Movement in 1966

and Jim Sillars...

won South Ayrshire for Labour in 1970 (twice) and 1974 (twice)
2nd in South Ayrshire for Home Rule Scottish Labour in 1979

won Glasgow Govan for SNP in 1988 (his wife had won for SNP in 1973)

and John Horam...

won Gateshead West for Labour in 1970, 1974 (twice), 1979
3rd in Newcastle-upon-Tyne Central for SDP in 1983
won Orpington for Conservatives in 1992, 1997, 2001 and 2005

Edited by HibeeJibee