Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

On 25/08/2020 at 14:56, craigkillie said:

This Celtic story is basically just from a single source anyway, but not wanting to move abroad at the age of 17 hardly marks someone out as some sort of uncultured thicko. I decided against a year studying in Spain at 19 because it was a long time to spend away from my girlfriend and because I thought it might be challenging to have to go to lectures in a language that I only spoke to a basic standard.

If you gave me the opportunity to go and live there now for a year, no strings attached and with a job to come back to, then I'd do it, but it infuriates me that football fans make it sound like uprooting everything to go and live in a foreign country is the easiest thing in the world.

I totally agree. Everyone is different. You didn't want to go away aged 19 because you needed your hole. I had a pal at Uni studying who went away aged 19-20 but he was fine without the lass for a few months. He had a very basic grasp of French as well. 

It's up to Hickey. At Celtic he has an opportunity to play games. Bologna as others have pointed out he will improve defensively and an opportunity to play games. Bayern - joining the best team in Europe and a top academy. The boy needs to do what's best for his career.  

Surely one of the benefits of playing abroad is that he’ll be learning to cope with the game being played in a different style and he will develop more skills and ability to deal with different kinds of players. If he goes to Celtic it’s largely more of the same that he’s learnt at Hearts - even playing the Champions League games (if he even gets in the team) is only a few games over a season where he’ll be facing something different.

As well, you have the benefit of it just being a good experience for him in life if he goes abroad. There are no guarantees that anyone will make it, or if you look at the like of Schurrle who is chucking it at a young age, that you’ll have a long career - so he has to make the most of opportunities that will make his life better overall. People slag off Gauld for not becoming a top player at Lisbon, but It happens, and he has had a good few years living in a nice city with good food, good weather and making decent money. it’s not a bad alternative if you don’t become a superstar.

He won't go straight into the Celtic team.
He'll play reserve games for a few years and under the tutelage of whatever ex-Sellick player is reserve team coach he will learn to launch the ball aimlessly into channels like they did in the 1990s, and be back at Hearts by the age of 21.

Yes, Celtic have absolutely no history of developing players to go to the very top level, definitely not left-backs.

19 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I've done it, and thoroughly enjoyed my time living abroad, but the whole process is stressful even if you have a helpful employer trying to sort things out for you at the other end. The idea that it's just straightforward to move away to a completely different country with a different culture tends to come almost exclusive from those who have never done it themselves.

I've done it also, and didn't find it stressful at all. And that wasn't with a football club doing everything for me.

Have you considered that not everyone who moves abroad has exactly the same experience and feelings as yourself.

On 26/08/2020 at 14:33, Savage Henry said:

If I were a football manager, I think I’d make it a condition of signing a youth player that they spend a season overseas on loan.  Or at the very least I’d make sure my club had a player exchange programme open to youth players.  The idea that somehow being away from your partner (when has that ever mattered to football players?) and, erm, not being able to read the orange juice carton is somehow an insurmountable obstacle is laughable.   

I'd make it a condition that I signed good players and I'd beat your weird Edusport tribute act 10 times out of 10.

At this point, can we just accept that this protracted "will he/won't he" is ridiculous.  All the reports readily available across the various outlets, are effectively utter nonsense.

According to Hearts today, Celtic haven't put in a single offer this summer, and yet it was reported widely in the last few days he'd effectively all but agreed to sign.

Not that I necessarily believe them, but I don't believe anyone else either.

For kids from other countries its all part of it, they expect that.  Kids from Denmark know they will have to move to another country and learn a language etc, its part of the journey to get to the highest level you're capable of. 
Scottish kids not so keen on this and often settle for the Old Firm.

A salient point. Far too many kids in this country don’t see playing in a champions league final but scoring a goal against “them” in an OF game as the pinnacle. A view ingrained and validated but your family and friends also holding this view.

On 26/08/2020 at 21:31, dave_binos said:

I totally agree. Everyone is different. You didn't want to go away aged 19 because you needed your hole. I had a pal at Uni studying who went away aged 19-20 but he was fine without the lass for a few months. He had a very basic grasp of French as well. 

It's up to Hickey. At Celtic he has an opportunity to play games. Bologna as others have pointed out he will improve defensively and an opportunity to play games. Bayern - joining the best team in Europe and a top academy. The boy needs to do what's best for his career.  

Definitely benefits to a healthier culture (Read: anywhere but here), too. I won’t forget, the Tuesday after his deflected strike won the Edinburgh derby, that I saw him in M&S with boot bag under arm and fuelling up before training ... with two sugar ring doughnuts. I opted for the cream and peach tart number.

9 hours ago, crispy said:

Definitely benefits to a healthier culture (Read: anywhere but here), too. I won’t forget, the Tuesday after his deflected strike won the Edinburgh derby, that I saw him in M&S with boot bag under arm and fuelling up before training ... with two sugar ring doughnuts. I opted for the cream and peach tart number.

When Ryan Fraser was at Aberdeen he'd always go on about getting the Two for Tuesday Domino's deal.

I believe he only tried it once at Bournemouth before they asked what the f**k he was playing at.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

When Ryan Fraser was at Aberdeen he'd always go on about getting the Two for Tuesday Domino's deal.

I believe he only tried it once at Bournemouth before they asked what the f**k he was playing at.

There was also Snoddy's infamous crisp sandwiches when he was at Livi. Probably on white bread aswell, disgusting.

Edited by crispy

8 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Its fuckin ridiculous. This is why we're shite. I know for a fact Lee Wilkie used to eat at McDonald's two or three times a week when he was playing, Barry Ferguson did too.  What chance do you have?

I also know a guy played for Dundee every game he used to get a big can of Red Bull and a double Mars Bar before it. I doubt you'd find Ronaldo does that.  He had a good career too.

51 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Its fuckin ridiculous. This is why we're shite. I know for a fact Lee Wilkie used to eat at McDonald's two or three times a week when he was playing, Barry Ferguson did too.  What chance do you have?

I also know a guy played for Dundee every game he used to get a big can of Red Bull and a double Mars Bar before it. I doubt you'd find Ronaldo does that.  He had a good career too.

What's a double Mars bar ?

2 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

When Aberdeen first started using the Uni for sports science stuff they admitted one of the players thought a red bull before a game was healthy 🤣