Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

14 hours ago, NickMcG said:

That's he still a Brentford player and that he still has to work hard to get in the team.

He’s been playing regularly. I think it was just a case of rotating the team whilst they have a lot of games.

Edited by Jambomo

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think we can safely say that Hepburn is going to be nowhere near making it Bayern if he is being loaned out to the Scottish Championship as his first port of call.

He's been stuck in the u19s most of last season and barely got a look in for BM II. Typically, the players that make it at Bayern make the move from the second team to the first at around 20, so I don't think it's going to happen for Hepburn there. Morrison is potentially still in with a chance.

No shame in not making it at Bayern mind, hopefully he can get a move that's good for him. He's definitely too young to write off from a Scotland point of view.

20 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think we can safely say that Hepburn is going to be nowhere near making it Bayern if he is being loaned out to the Scottish Championship as his first port of call.

The current Scotland captain did a season at Queen’s Park when he was the same age. Ended up at a better team than Bayern.

Too early to write him off either way.

11 minutes ago, bleedingums said:

The current Scotland captain did a season at Queen’s Park when he was the same age. Ended up at a better team than Bayern.

Too early to write him off either way.

It's not about saying he's not going to make it as a player, it's about the chances of him breaking through at Bayern being extremely small. And I think that is the case now. Even a stellar season in the Scottish Championship is hardly likely to make Bayern think he's ready to go into their first team squad.

Hepburn will probably have to take a step back to take two steps forward. Andy Robertson is the example to follow for players in that position.

15 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's not about saying he's not going to make it as a player, it's about the chances of him breaking through at Bayern being extremely small. And I think that is the case now. Even a stellar season in the Scottish Championship is hardly likely to make Bayern think he's ready to go into their first team squad.

Hepburn will probably have to take a step back to take two steps forward. Andy Robertson is the example to follow for players in that position.

Yeah, that’s fair. I suppose the guarantee of minutes must’ve been a factor in this and considering he’s only been playing youth football until now, that’s got to be a good thing.

The chances of any player coming through the Bayern youth system are incredibly low. They have Musiala and Stanisic currently making an impact, but the latter is 23 and has only played 40 games there (he only broke into the second team at 19, similar to Morrison for example). Muller is also still kicking around.

Before Musiala you're probably going back to the early 2010s for the last time an academy player properly broke through with the likes of Muller, Kroos, Alaba and Holger Badstuber (maybe Diego Contento too who was a back up left back for a few years), unless I'm missing anyone obvious.

The chances of Hepburn, or Morrison really, making it at Bayern have always been pretty slim but I'm sure they'll have had an incredible experience and should be all the better for it.

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

The Queen's Park move is a strange one, you would think a good few teams in the premiership would have had him.

Queens Park can probably spend as much as the lower end of the Premiership and teams at the bottom end won't spend decent money on untried boys to get them out of relegation battles. Hepburn has so little actual football experience that nobody can really set a bar for him right now.

• 1 month later...
On 25/06/2023 at 14:42, The Moonster said:

Queens Park can probably spend as much as the lower end of the Premiership and teams at the bottom end won't spend decent money on untried boys to get them out of relegation battles. Hepburn has so little actual football experience that nobody can really set a bar for him right now.

QP are making a big deal of their environment, the type of football they intend to play and also the exposure they will guarantee for players. This is possibly a part of the agreement with Munich and the player which allowed it to happen. 

While on the subject of the Bayern Scots, a few comments from Wigan fans on a forum of theirs regarding Liam Morrisons first few games for them:

"Clare was good again and Morrison looks a great find, there'll be championship clubs kicking themselves."

"Morrison - excellent again but probably not getting the full credit he's due because Hughes has been so impressive. Stong defensively and good on the ball. Looks so mature for a player making only his 3rd senior appearance."

"Hughes was fantastic and Morrison looks a great find, they played well together."

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

How has he played so far?

Looks ever so slightly lightweight when taking a man on IMO but incredibly tricky on the ball, he's going to give plenty of defenders a torrid time this season. Scored against Arbroath on Saturday.

• 1 month later...

Sunday Mirror saying that Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal all preparing bids for Hickey and that Brentford want circa £50 million for him.

This kid is going to be a Scotland legend and play right at the top for years to come. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manutd-liverpool-arsenal-aaron-hickey-31010541