Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He should avoid signing for the winners of the Champions League because he might not get a game for them, so if he signs for Celtic instead he might then get a chance to sign for a team capable of winning the Champions League.

You've got to love the Scottish mentality.

Every club including Bayern Munich has 15-30 young players on their books at the one time.

The vast majority of them don't make it anywhere near the top level.

34 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye. You make no point.  So they should not sign for Bayern then?

I'm just saying that signing for Bayern means nothing in the context of predicting who will make it as an international standard footballer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Bayern_Munich_II#Current_squad

How many of those guys will be playing in UEFA competitions in years to come? Probably not many. Hickey joins them and he is just another name on that list until he proves otherwise.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Every club including Bayern Munich has 15-30 young players on their books at the one time.

The vast majority of them don't make it anywhere near the top level.

Aye good point. Suppose there's no benefit to learning from coaching staff who've just won the Champions League.

I'm just saying that signing for Bayern means nothing in the context of predicting who will make it as an international standard footballer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Bayern_Munich_II#Current_squad
How many of those guys will be playing in UEFA competitions in years to come? Probably not many. Hickey joins them and he is just another name on that list until he proves otherwise.
Maybe he'll prove otherwise aided by better coaching

21 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This Celtic story is basically just from a single source anyway, but not wanting to move abroad at the age of 17 hardly marks someone out as some sort of uncultured thicko. I decided against a year studying in Spain at 19 because it was a long time to spend away from my girlfriend and because I thought it might be challenging to have to go to lectures in a language that I only spoke to a basic standard.

If you gave me the opportunity to go and live there now for a year, no strings attached and with a job to come back to, then I'd do it, but it infuriates me that football fans make it sound like uprooting everything to go and live in a foreign country is the easiest thing in the world.

Yet hundreds do it every year.

11 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'd be a big fan of that move. Bayern would be great but Bologna he will also get excellent coaching, good facilities etc, but he'll actually play too. 

The education a young defender could get playing regularly in Serie A would be fantatic.  They still defend better than everyone else in the world there, nowhere better to learn your trade.

I think if he went there he'd actually play league games this season, after a few months getting up to speed I think he'd be getting game time.

22 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This Celtic story is basically just from a single source anyway, but not wanting to move abroad at the age of 17 hardly marks someone out as some sort of uncultured thicko. I decided against a year studying in Spain at 19 because it was a long time to spend away from my girlfriend and because I thought it might be challenging to have to go to lectures in a language that I only spoke to a basic standard.

Not saying it makes you an uncultured thicko deciding against moving abroad but going to study in Spain isn't really comparable to a footballer going abroad. I'm sure if you were being paid thousands of pounds a week and you had your afternoons off to learn the language it would've made your decision a bit easier.

Yet hundreds do it every year.

I've done it, and thoroughly enjoyed my time living abroad, but the whole process is stressful even if you have a helpful employer trying to sort things out for you at the other end. The idea that it's just straightforward to move away to a completely different country with a different culture tends to come almost exclusive from those who have never done it themselves.

13 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Think everyone reporting on this is smacked out their tits.

One minute it's definitely Bayern, then it's Celtic and now...Bologna? Would still be a good move for him.

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I've done it, and thoroughly enjoyed my time living abroad, but the whole process is stressful even if you have a helpful employer trying to sort things out for you at the other end. The idea that it's just straightforward to move away to a completely different country with a different culture tends to come almost exclusive from those who have never done it themselves.

Look mate your experience isn't remotely comparable to a professional footballer who will be provided a private tutor to learn the language and have a handler assigned who takes care of everything from paying bills to doing shopping if you want.  I

ts a ridiculous comparison, he wouldn't even have to fill out and file his own paperwork to move, the club and his management company would do all that for him.  

5 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Look mate your experience isn't remotely comparable to a professional footballer who will be provided a private tutor to learn the language and have a handler assigned who takes care of everything from paying bills to doing shopping if you want.  I

ts a ridiculous comparison, he wouldn't even have to fill out and file his own paperwork to move, the club and his management company would do all that for him.  

If I were a football manager, I think I’d make it a condition of signing a youth player that they spend a season overseas on loan.  Or at the very least I’d make sure my club had a player exchange programme open to youth players.  The idea that somehow being away from your partner (when has that ever mattered to football players?) and, erm, not being able to read the orange juice carton is somehow an insurmountable obstacle is laughable.   

21 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Dale Jennings signed for Bayern from Tranmere when he was 18/19. He's now 27 and playing for Runcorn Town. 

There is absolutely no guarantee of success if he moves there (or anywhere for that matter).

Liam Boyce went to Germany and now he’s at Hearts.  There’s a warning there for all of us.

43 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Think everyone reporting on this is smacked out their tits.

One minute it's definitely Bayern, then it's Celtic and now...Bologna? Would still be a good move for him.

Bologna were one of the first teams mentioned with a definite interest, the bid/offer has dropped £500,000 from what it was originally rumoured to be though! 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

If I were a football manager, I think I’d make it a condition of signing a youth player that they spend a season overseas on loan.  Or at the very least I’d make sure my club had a player exchange programme open to youth players.  The idea that somehow being away from your partner (when has that ever mattered to football players?) and, erm, not being able to read the orange juice carton is somehow an insurmountable obstacle is laughable.   

For kids from other countries its all part of it, they expect that.  Kids from Denmark know they will have to move to another country and learn a language etc, its part of the journey to get to the highest level you're capable of. 

Scottish kids not so keen on this and often settle for the Old Firm.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yes. Hundreds of young players do it every year though. Guys from a deprived background who are under immense pressure to make it to provide for their whole family.

Most Scottish players choose not to when presented with the opportunity. I'm amazed a few have decided to do it recently. Hope it works out for them.

19 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Aye good point. Suppose there's no benefit to learning from coaching staff who've just won the Champions League.

You're aware he'd be going into their B side, and as such wouldn't be training with the senior players/coaches every week?

He wouldn't be training against Coman and Gnabry every day.