UEFA Champions League 20-21

GNU_Linux

'But leading teams who don’t make the top four of their leagues could still qualify, with three of the additional group-stage slots lined up for such teams based on their historic record in Europe.'

Imagine being a team finishing 5th & a team below you getting a free pass to the UCL because WUR A BIG TEEM.

This is a pre-cursor to a European superleague, this format is allowing the so called top 32 clubs to see if this is a success. If it is not too popular then it's easy to go back to the old format and nothing is lost, if it is a success then they'll just up and leave UEFA and take the whole pie to themselves.

UEFA have given the elite clubs a little bit more every time the format is reviewed to the point they are now collectively bigger than UEFA and I think it's a matter of time until we see them breakaway. 

How would this affect the OF?

Celtic are ranked 45th and Rangers 61st in the coefficients however AC Milan, Olympiakos, Monchengladbach, Galatassaray, Fenerbache, Feyenoord and PSV are all out the top 36 and all these clubs would be seen to be from bigger commercial markets. Would this plan to hornshoe clubs in be good or bad for them?

Edited by ahemps

What would happen to qualification??? If the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Roma, Napoli etc. get passes into the CL groups does that mean the likes of Leicester and Atalanta who finished top 4 then go into the qualifiers? Does that make qualification more difficult?

Does that then make the Europa league a lesser competition but more important to improving your European ranking???

What would happen to qualification??? If the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Roma, Napoli etc. get passes into the CL groups does that mean the likes of Leicester and Atalanta who finished top 4 then go into the qualifiers? Does that make qualification more difficult?
Does that then make the Europa league a lesser competition but more important to improving your European ranking???
Think they all get group stage spots.
Agreed about the increasing importance of EL & Conf. Teams can't really afford to piss away points even if they've already qualified.

Presumably wouldn't make much difference to the chances of qualifying for outsiders like PSV, Celtic etc. The qualifying could roughly stay the same. It would likely ruin these mid level leagues even more though given the increased financial benefit of reaching the GS.

Guest TheJTS98
14 hours ago, ahemps said:

This is a pre-cursor to a European superleague, this format is allowing the so called top 32 clubs to see if this is a success. If it is not too popular then it's easy to go back to the old format and nothing is lost, if it is a success then they'll just up and leave UEFA and take the whole pie to themselves.

UEFA have given the elite clubs a little bit more every time the format is reviewed to the point they are now collectively bigger than UEFA and I think it's a matter of time until we see them breakaway. 

Didn't realise there were posts about this in this thread.

I mentioned in another thread that there are almost 700 clubs playing top-flight football in UEFA member countries.

I think we're at the stage now where it's better to just let the breakaway go ahead rather than have a couple of dozen or so clubs dictate to the other 650 and get everything organised to their benefit and to the detriment of everyone else.

Guest TheJTS98
15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

'But leading teams who don’t make the top four of their leagues could still qualify, with three of the additional group-stage slots lined up for such teams based on their historic record in Europe.'

Imagine being a team finishing 5th & a team below you getting a free pass to the UCL because WUR A BIG TEEM.

This concept is well ingrained anyway with the ludicrous idea that champions of loads of countries have to wait in line behind the fourth-best sides from other countries, just because they're 'big teams'. Absolute lunacy, just lunacy that we've normalised and accepted.

Spurs have been champions of f**k all for 60 years, but as a footballing public we've accepted that they have a greater right to compete in the European Cup than the champions of Hungary. West Ham might get a swing at The Big Cup next year, while the champions of Greece will have to complete some mad obstacle course to get in. Laughable.

The worst thing about this disgraceful proposal is that after a year or two it won't even be questioned. People will just accept that Real Madrid and Manchester United get to play regardless of their on-field merits. It'll become a kind of natural order thing. They've already achieved the same thing by convincing people that it's actually natural and fair for the big countries to have four representatives while other countries get none. People accept this and consider it to be the way things have always been and always will be.

It's worth remembering that the first Champions League contained no Spanish club (Barcelona knocked out by Russians), no German club (Stuttgart knocked out by an English club), and no English club (Leeds knocked out by Scottish opposition).

The English clubs never even made it in at all until they expanded the groups to 16 in the third season (fourth overall with a group stage) and they no longer had to qualify. Even then they got knocked out in the groups in their first two seasons competing, finishing behind opponents from Sweden, Poland, Russia, and Norway.

Yet here we are with a system that gives them an inalienable right to a permanent seat at the top table.

It's mad that people still watch this shite. It is run by and for people whose end goal is to destroy competition in football and lock out countries like us forever.

Edited by TheJTS98

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why would they want to do that?

As in take games to USA, Asia or the Arab nations with the host nation bidding to hold the game.

It's a possibility, very much like the North American teams playing games in London in NFL and basketball. 

32 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

As in take games to USA, Asia or the Arab nations with the host nation bidding to hold the game.

It's a possibility, very much like the North American teams playing games in London in NFL and basketball. 

Last years tournament in Portugal was out of necessity. Even though the format was deemed to be positive the one legged affairs deprives the TV companies of matchdays so it is very unlikely to remain a thing. If you take games to neutral venues then they have to be 1 leg or a team gives up their advantage, neither are going to be long term options.

13 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Last years tournament in Portugal was out of necessity. Even though the format was deemed to be positive the one legged affairs deprives the TV companies of matchdays so it is very unlikely to remain a thing. If you take games to neutral venues then they have to be 1 leg or a team gives up their advantage, neither are going to be long term options.

I was more thinking in this expanded group stage of 10 games , possibly 4 home , 4 away and 2 neutral . 

Id hate it, if I was a fan of one of the teams in the competition (ignore my user name) and went to all the home European games but why do you think they take the FIFA world cup championship to places like Qatar , its certainly not for the benefit of the supporters who might want to go if it was rotated around the confederations. 

Just now, realmadrid said:

I was more thinking in this expanded group stage of 10 games , possibly 4 home , 4 away and 2 neutral . 

Id hate it, if I was a fan of one of the teams in the competition (ignore my user name) and went to all the home European games but why do you think they take the FIFA world cup championship to places like Qatar , its certainly not for the benefit of the supporters who might want to go if it was rotated around the confederations. 

If it was known before hand that from the semi finals the games are held in one place then it may work. Ultimately it will be driven by money. Qatar have bought the world cup, they could just as likely by the CL.

Guest TheJTS98
On 13/02/2021 at 03:35, realmadrid said:

I was more thinking in this expanded group stage of 10 games , possibly 4 home , 4 away and 2 neutral

Something like this certainly isn't out of the question. The big clubs spend their pre-seasons flying round the world trying to dip the wallets of everybody in Asia and North America by playing daft friendlies, so it stands to reason that they'd be up for swapping that for a couple of competitive games a year in Tokyo, Beijing, or LA.

The brand still requires Barcelona to play at the Nou Camp and Real Madrid at the Bernabeu, but the sort of thing you suggest seems an obvious global-brand solution.

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I fancy RB Leipzig to turn over Liverpool tonight. Hopefully a 3 or 4 goal victory

When you see the Liverpool team they look almost full-strength barring the obvious defence issues. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.