COVID-19 In Scottish Football

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Dunno, can see her lifting the restrictions friday the 4th of feb, type of thing, remember their different treatment to football fans over rugby fans about 6months ago

What was the difference?

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

What was the difference?

I'm not sure about the example above of 6 months ago, but I do feel Rugby was treated a little favourably when they were given permission to hold "test events" back in 2020 and football clubs were refused.

8 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Limited crowds were allowed for The lions vs Japan at murrayfield andScotland’s two group stage games at Hampden but not for regular club football

Some people at the time thought that wasn’t fair. Some people thought it was

Yeah, but club rugby wasn't allowed crowds either. That's pretty much an example of football and rugby being treated the same is it not?

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'm not sure about the example above of 6 months ago, but I do feel Rugby was treated a little favourably when they were given permission to hold "test events" back in 2020 and football clubs were refused.

Were there no football test events? I thought there were.

It’s well established that rugby is far more important to the Scottish government than football is.
They will really want to avoid inconveniencing the rugby fans, so I’m sure they will be allowed in to their game on the 5th February.
Will football be allowed in before then? Unlikely IMO. I think the 500 limit on crowds will be conveniently extended to the end of January, just in case.
Hope I’m wrong of course.

There is no chance that any games will get moved down south, pure paper talk and if it was meant as a threat to the Scottish govt, then it is a shite one.

On the clubs moaning about lost revenue etc, IF they did end up moving games down south, would the reimburse the ST holders for lost game(s)? Not a chance. Equally, despite only 500 getting let in for the last round of fixtures, did any club even acknowledge that it would be the fans who had already paid for their seat that were out of pocket?

Yes, the club should rightly raise concerns about potential continued restrictions, but pleading poverty doesn't work when clubs are paying fees for players at the same time. 

32 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, but club rugby wasn't allowed crowds either. That's pretty much an example of football and rugby being treated the same is it not?

That's why I wasn't one of the people that complaining it wasn't fair.

You can trawl back through earlier posts in this thread if you want to revisit the debate but I wouldn't bother

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

There is no chance that any games will get moved down south, pure paper talk and if it was meant as a threat to the Scottish govt, then it is a shite one.

On the clubs moaning about lost revenue etc, IF they did end up moving games down south, would the reimburse the ST holders for lost game(s)? Not a chance. Equally, despite only 500 getting let in for the last round of fixtures, did any club even acknowledge that it would be the fans who had already paid for their seat that were out of pocket?

Yes, the club should rightly raise concerns about potential continued restrictions, but pleading poverty doesn't work when clubs are paying fees for players at the same time. 

But that doesn’t really work. Clubs pay fees for players because players are commodities and are used for trading. It’s like saying coffee shops shouldn’t get government support because they spend so much money on coffee beans.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

It’s well established that rugby is far more important to the Scottish government than football is.
They will really want to avoid inconveniencing the rugby fans, so I’m sure they will be allowed in to their game on the 5th February.
Will football be allowed in before then? Unlikely IMO. I think the 500 limit on crowds will be conveniently extended to the end of January, just in case.

Personally I blame bollingoli (spelling) nipping abroad for his hole! 

vhic-Tim’s rage here 🔴 

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

They will really want to avoid inconveniencing the rugby fans

The Festive Edinburgh vs Glasgow Fixture would have got about 30,000 on Sunday under normal circumstances

Some people are display Celtic level persecution complexes on behalf of football here

8 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Sorry, what? 

Can’t complain about government restricting trade if you continue to go about your business? 

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

But that doesn’t really work. Clubs pay fees for players because players are commodities and are used for trading. It’s like saying coffee shops shouldn’t get government support because they spend so much money on coffee beans.

It's not really though is it? It's not as if any clubs are saying we need to spend a fee as without doing so, we cannot operate. If you have a business where you think there is a risk to your cash coming in, you do not go and spend loads on new stuff and then turn round asking the bank for an emergency loan or complain that you are now short of cash. Alien concept to Rangers fans I know...

Taking your analogy, hibs asked staff to take payouts previously and took the government loan too. You reckon the staff in the coffee shop would happily take a payout while the owner decided to spend on more expensive beans than normal? 

12 minutes ago, Lex said:

The famously nationalist rugby community getting everything as per usual. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sorry, what? 

Can’t complain about government restricting trade if you continue to go about your business? 

Of course you can complain. But at the same time, it's a bit much to then demand a slice of the £5m earmarked for all sports when you decide to spend large sums (relatively) of money on players. 

21 minutes ago, GAD said:

Not that I recall, anyway. From the shutdown of domestic football in March 2020, I don't think it was until the summer of 2021 we started to see crowds again, although my recollection may be incorrect.

12 minutes ago, Lex said:

Other than the consumption of alcohol rules, what is it that has been established?

37 minutes ago, GAD said:

This picture was from the Rugby game at the time 

You’d never have gotten away with these scenes at the football 

Remember the outrage at Scotland fans travelling to London for the Euros?

Don’t remember the rugby crowd getting the same treatment about travelling at the time either 

Edit: Pretty sure Hampden couldn’t even open its food kiosks at the time, yet Murrayfield was serving food and booze 

15FBC629-5612-4406-B8BA-5ABDE54F9050.jpeg

Edited by Clown Job

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

Not that I recall, anyway. From the shutdown of domestic football in March 2020, I don't think it was until the summer of 2021 we started to see crowds again, although my recollection may be incorrect.

I think Ross County held test events in Nov/Dec 2020.

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

We had a test event against Kilmarnock in September 2020 and it was just a waste of time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54061580