COVID-19 In Scottish Football

1 minute ago, nathdee said:

Points deductions and fines,for all clubs failing to control their players

I'm guessing that would depend on which body was imposing the punishment. I could be wrong, heh.. I often am, but if it was the SFA they couldn't order the SPFL to deduct points.

Personally I'd prefer the SFA to hand out any punishment simply because it's the national governing body. I also feel that if you hammer clubs with fines, rather than points, it focusses their minds a little more.

14 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Football is one of the safest workplaces at the moment. More testing and better social distancing than almost any other occupation.

I agree. Until they get together for a good old lads night out on the piss up.

Edited by BawWatchin

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If footballers start infecting people there might be cause to shut it down but that's not happened at all so any arguments about cancelling games are idiotic.

So your argument is wait and see if players start to get sick from breaking the lock down guidelines before taking any action? Sort of defeats the purpose of taking action to prevent people from getting sick in the first place.

19 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Well obviously the authorities would need to know that the people in question are from more than 4 different households.

But I thought that you said that the police had been empowered to do this, what with it being such a high crime and all?

The problem with football players is that because they're considerably higher profile than joe public, it becomes far easier to identify when they break this law.

So presumably the footballers in question have now themselves been prosecuted for 'breaking this law'? 

Also, not all crimes result in some kind of court law suit. If you're caught in possession of a few grams of weed for example, you've obviously broken the law, but they're unlikely to drag you to jail for finger prints.

The reason why there are absolutely zero prosecutions under the meeting four households category is because no crime has in fact been committed. There are in fact plenty of everyday tasks that the police are empowered to do that do not involve regulating criminal activity - and enforcing Covid restrictions are just a new variant of them. If the police direct members of the public to disperse from a certain area or redirect traffic from a major incident then it doesn't mean that those people were committing a crime by their presence there in the first place. 

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There have been thousands of tests of footballers and only a couple of positive tests. There is no problem with football unless you are an alarmist mug. 

That's the deal that they have.  If you do this, then you get to play.

If you don't do it, you don't get to play.  End of.

There are plenty of people who would happily sign up to not being redundant, or on normal wages in exchange for a couple of tests per week, and not able to go to the pub for a few months.

21 minutes ago, kent_don said:

Would it require a vote? As I can’t see that ever passing/being agreed to by all members. Especiallly those who could see themselves near the bottom or the top.

Not sure. I imagine so though as the club's voted against giving the SPFL management of the rules relating to covid without a vote.

You make a good point though. They'll struggle to agree. Arguably should have been agreed before a ball was kicked. 

Same probably goes for disciplinary rules around sanctioning teams/players for Covid breaches. There's probably nothing in the rules to charge them with and would need to change those going forward via a vote 😂

Just now, Donathan said:

Kilmarnock did nothing wrong and presumably their entire squad tested negative

Bolingoli and others at Celtic have tested negative twice in the last week, going by reports in the media. If their games are being called off because they are viewed as a risk, Kilmarnocks matches also have to be called off for the same reason.

Postponing the match isn't really a punishment. It's a minor inconvenience. A significant fine, a points deduction, or making them play without all players who are now isolating would be akin to punishment.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

But I thought that you said that the police had been empowered to do this, what with it being such a high crime and all?

So presumably the footballers in question have now themselves been prosecuted for 'breaking this law'? 

The reason why there are absolutely zero prosecutions under the meeting four households category is because no crime has in fact been committed. There are in fact plenty of everyday tasks that the police are empowered to do that do not involve regulating criminal activity - and enforcing Covid restrictions are just a new variant of them. If the police direct members of the public to disperse from a certain area or redirect traffic from a major incident then it doesn't mean that those people were committing a crime by their presence there in the first place. 

Daft analogy. If you refuse to direct your car from the major incident, then you are committing a crime. If you know a major incident has occurred, but take it upon yourself to try and use the route regardless, then you are committing a crime. If there is a law that says "don't use this road", but you proceed to use it anyway, then you are committing a crime.

People are being told not to gather in large crowds containing people beyond 4 different households. When they refuse to abide by that, they're breaking the law. Just because it's a difficult law to enforce, doesn't prevent it from being a crime.

11 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

There's probably nothing in the rules to charge them with and would need to change those going forward via a vote 

SFA Article 94.1, bringing the game into disrepute.

And 96.6, "A recognised football body, club, official, Team Official, other member of Team Staff, player or other person under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA shall, at all times, act in the best interests of Association Football and shall not act in any manner which is improper ..."

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Politics Scotland special at 14:45. Although described as Swinney's statement on the exam fiasco, I suspect we'll be hearing from Jason Leitch regarding the Celtic and Aberdeen games.

Maybe he'll announce suspension of the season on Off the Ball on Saturday. Before moving on to team of the week, the disease 11.

Tommy Ringworm.

11 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Bolingoli and others at Celtic have tested negative twice in the last week, going by reports in the media. If their games are being called off because they are viewed as a risk, Kilmarnocks matches also have to be called off for the same reason.

Postponing the match isn't really a punishment. It's a minor inconvenience. A significant fine, a points deduction, or making them play without all players who are now isolating would be akin to punishment.

Maybe Kilmarnock players and club can be trusted

I am absolutely livid about Bolingoli, especially after what happened with Aberdeen.   

Complete and utter idiot.  He should be given a 20-match ban and Celtic made to forfeit any matches they fail to play as a result of delayed (therefore forfeited) fixtures.   Would hate for it to get to this stage, but it is a complete and utter pisstake which is really making our game look shockingly amateur whilst threatening its very survival.  Point deductions and lengthy personal bans are the only way these spoiled clowns will learn. 

Edited by AberdeenHibee