EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

:lol:

You genuinely believe today would have happened if Man United were going for the league? 

Come off it. 

I don't genuinely believe that. I'm not 100% certain but aye it most likely wouldn't have happened - although the vast majority of anti-Glazer protests to date were carried out when they were winning leagues and getting to CL finals  - but the protest was chosen before folk knew this result would crown City champions if it went a certain way. It's also quite easy to see why they picked this fixture over the game on Thursday night, but i don't believe it had anything to do with stopping City winning the title via a Liverpool win. 

4 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

although the vast majority of anti-Glazer protests to date were carried out when they were winning leagues and getting to CL finals 

Glad we can agree it wouldn't have happened. There's quite a bit of a difference between standing outside with a banner and breaking into the stadium, climbing over the goals and the stands too. 

I'm not really sure these protests can be made as comparable tbh. 

I like that neville is trying to point the fans towards legislation around fan ownership. I'm not an expert but is the German model not very different?

There surely has to be a better way to organise these clubs. Get the billionaire class to f**k.

Labour had discussed looking at implementing fan ownership over here similar to Germany’s and it was met with the usual sneering tones from the press. The ship has sailed on meaningful legislation ever happening now unless the current government can’t find a way to get a slice of the pie.

Souness was miles off the mark in terms of why they were protesting. Surprised he didn't get a word in his ear during one of the breaks to correct him. United fans' frustration over the Glazers has virtually hee haw to do with their performance on the pitch and more to do with how they bought the club and run it financially. 

Think that just about nails it, although to be fair i think Keane and Carragher seemed to get it. Neville, whilst making mostly accurate points still seemed to think the protest was mostly down to the super league and not 15 years of frustrations coming to a head. 

FC United were formed in 2005 weren’t they? I mind seeing the scarves fairly early on as well. A section of the fans have always been opposed to the Glazers even when they were hoovering up the league title all the time.

It's also pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that many of those involved in the "protests" were neither "protesters" nor actual fans, but the local neds out with their dugs, waynes in go chairs and tooled up with a big cairry oots etc, basically just scum who were out looking for trouble.
Anyway, all pretty pathetic which ever way you look at it.

You have literally nae idea whether they were protestors or actual fans you just love judging people who actually get off their arse and do something while banging on about how you live in the real world in between your time outs from this website.

I'm all for people's right to protest, but unless it causes absolutely zero inconvenience and can be easily ignored, then it is quite simply beyond the pale.

5 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I'm all for people's right to protest, but unless it causes absolutely zero inconvenience and can be easily ignored, then it is quite simply beyond the pale.

Your views are far too extreme for me. I'm out.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

So you think leveraged buyouts and businesses borrowing money and paying it as dividends could be outlawed?

Ideally it would be banned completely, but I'll settle for it not being allowed for football clubs.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Ideally it would be banned completely, but I'll settle for it not being allowed for football clubs.

Why are football clubs special?  Should Phillip Green be allowed to do this, run businesses into ruin and cost tens of thousands of people their jobs as long as it’s not allowed at ManU who employ a fraction of that number of people?  

It will never be outlawed.

Why are football clubs special?  Should Phillip Green be allowed to do this, run businesses into ruin and cost tens of thousands of people their jobs as long as it’s not allowed at ManU who employ a fraction of that number of people?  
It will never be outlawed.
They're not special.

Why are you so opposed to it changing though?

I think it's unlikely the tories do anything unless there's a real head of steam but negativity and cynicism certainly isn't going to help

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

They're not special.

Why are you so opposed to it changing though?

I think it's unlikely the tories do anything unless there's a real head of steam but negativity and cynicism certainly isn't going to help

I’m not opposed to it in the slightest.  I know it will never be implemented though.  How many attempts have been made to stop financial shenanigans in football?  The latest one is Financial Fair Play.   Do me a fucking favour.  When football started chasing the money 30 years ago it was never going back.

I’m not opposed to it in the slightest.  I know it will never be implemented though.  How many attempts have been made to stop financial shenanigans in football?  The latest one is Financial Fair Play.   Do me a fucking favour.  When football started chasing the money 30 years ago it was never going back.
There's a lot of fan groups on the news right now, and they're all saying the same thing. Neville and carragher showed they can get some serious momentum.

Boris loves a populist move so you never know.

I'm hopeful. 50 plus 1 would be a big improvement.

Fuckin load of shite. If anyone wants to affect real change boycott home games and don't buy strips. If their stadiums were 30% full next season the owners would be gone in a shot. Everything else is wind and pish, and I've not heard a single person suggest it.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Did John Fleck just try to kill someone?

Nah, he didn’t have any flares or cans of beer. 

Edited by The Master

It would be great if the big six in England were owned by the fans rather than the billionaires. Just imagine the howls of rage when Pep Guardiola could no longer spend half a billion pounds on defenders over four years and Chelsea weren't able to go out and spend £200m in a summer transfer window. The fans have at worst tolerated these owners given the chequebooks have been out bankrolling the "success". Arsenal fans have admittedly been unhappy with Kronke a while, but for an apparent lack of investment rather than anything else. 

It was only when the Super League was mooted that the fans decided they'd had gone too far. Whilst this does provide some hope they realise the damage that their clubs, by virtue of their owners, have done to the game, I can't see many of them accepting the realities of what they they want. They are slaves to what they have and it's going to be a tough adjustment. 

Edited by Michael W

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It would be great if the big six in England were owned by the fans rather than the billionaires. Just imagine the howls of rage when Pep Guardiola could no longer spend half a billion pounds on defenders over four years and Chelsea weren't able to go out and spend £200m in a summer transfer window. The fans have at worst tolerated these owners given the chequebooks have been out bankrolling the "success". Arsenal fans have admittedly been unhappy with Kronke a while, but for an apparent lack of investment rather than anything else. 

It was only when the Super League was mooted that the fans decided they'd had gone too far. Whilst this does provide some hope they realise the damage that their clubs, by virtue of their owners, have done to the game, I can't see many of them accepting the realities of what they they want. 

In some cases such as City this is true, but for Man Utd their owners actually lessen their spending power by taking money out of the club. For the last 16 years they've been taking about ten million a month out of the club, not to mention the three quarters of a billion they're making the club pay them to acquire the club for free. Its scandalous.