Foraging

Cheers for starting a thread on this JF.

I've been wanting to do this for ages, but have only got as far as brambles and rasps. There's a crackin spot where chanterelles grow near Kintore, so I'll head over there in a month or so. 

5 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Loads of berries on the paths locally.

Bairn loves getting raspberries while we are out but we’ve started collecting blackberries when out and about and feed them to our chickens who go mental for them.

"Blackberries"

Mods!

I ate a cobnut i found in the woods and it wasn't very nice. 

When i was about 12 me and my pals collected a load of cockles at a sea loch near Lochgilphead and cooked them on a driftwood fire. They were lovely. 

I  brewed, smoked and ate raw psilocybin several times a year for about ten years. I believe i'm a qualified shaman now. 

Back in my shroom days, during the short picking season me and a couple of mates would spend days at the local “spots” where we knew they’d grow, collecting bags full of them. The production line would then go to my mates house, where we’d dry them out beside a large electric storage heater he had in his bedroom. There’s nothing more pleasant than seeing the tiny, barely visible to the naked eye, maggot like creatures that crawl out the bell of the mushroom. Did it stop us, not at all but looking back it’s fairly rank. That said, dried and bagged, we could harvest more than enough to see us through the winter months.

12 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Loads of wild apples and a couple of pear trees near me plus brambles and sloes. We had a boat up in West Loch Tarbert for years and had a dozen creels (family were commercial creelers for years). Just a dozen saw a plentiful supply of crab and lobster but it was the "bye catch" I loved. Octopus, urchins, buckies (giant whelks) and various fish species were all great to eat. Plenty mussels on Ayrshire beaches now but always a bit wary of quality. Razors are basically fished out unfortunately. If it wasn't so expensive to keep a boat on the Clyde I'd buy one down here. Keeping that wee plan for retirement.

‘Been workin’ for the council, twenty years...

On 25/08/2020 at 06:43, MONKMAN said:

Back in my shroom days, during the short picking season me and a couple of mates would spend days at the local “spots” where we knew they’d grow, collecting bags full of them. The production line would then go to my mates house, where we’d dry them out beside a large electric storage heater he had in his bedroom. There’s nothing more pleasant than seeing the tiny, barely visible to the naked eye, maggot like creatures that crawl out the bell of the mushroom. Did it stop us, not at all but looking back it’s fairly rank. That said, dried and bagged, we could harvest more than enough to see us through the winter months.

Those worms gave me the proper heebie jeebies on more than one trip, imagining they were alive inside me and taking over. 

Two parter.
Has anyone tried samphire?
Is there any good places to harvest it?
There used to be tons if it on the bogside mudflats in Irvine but it's thick deep dangerous mud at low tide and you needed to cross that to get to it. At the time I saw it, no one was using it (pre Saturday kitchen days). No reason to think there won't still be some there.

18 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Two parter.

Has anyone tried samphire?

Is there any good places to harvest it?

The fishman who comes round with his van every week used to sell it. It was quite nice but I found it a bit chewy.

I saw two elderly Chinese last year foraging for greens on the banks of the Kelvin. I wonder what it was they were collecting.