Stalingrad

The scale of what happened at Stalingrad, and the eastern front in general, is almost incomprehensible. The other fronts of the war were basically just sideshows, yet the gammons would have you believe that Hitler was beaten by Churchill and Captain Tom, with Vera Lynn on backing vocals.

16 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Awesome Soviet memorials probably deserves it's own thread tbh.

Abandoned-Soviet-Monuments-Buzludzha-Monument-1.thumb.jpg.d32c7cb3752772f34925153502f4e043.jpg

I love that they replaced the big Soviet statue in Prague briefly with Michael Jackson

Spoiler

PomnikStalina-Praga1.thumb.jpg.d3f8ccdfc4956f32ae1477bf4cf4c3c2.jpg

file-photo-big-statue-of-michael-jackson-for-his-tour-history-is-being-instaled-on-letna-hill-in-prague-czech-republic-on-sep-3-1996-fans-TXG3W3.thumb.jpg.08b90dcf89571bb012f8d986de5fef03.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg
See, by the winter of '42, the whole city was surrounded by the massed Sixth Army. It was pressing... And pressing. The Russians couldn't hold on much longer. Many wanted to submit.
IMG_4742.jpg
What I mean is that the German supply lines were stretched, Zhukov countered... And the siege was broken. And that's all the story of Stalingrad.

59 minutes ago, resk said:

The scale of what happened at Stalingrad, and the eastern front in general, is almost incomprehensible. The other fronts of the war were basically just sideshows, yet the gammons would have you believe that Hitler was beaten by Churchill and Captain Tom, with Vera Lynn on backing vocals.

You know I watched a lecture recently from a university in America.  It was an American historian type giving a lecture to a bunch of American students.

He started off by saying the way you learned about WWII is completely wrong.  Russia defeated the Nazis. America lost 400 thousand dead in WWII, Russia lost 28 million.  8 out of every 11 German troops that were killed were killed by the Russians. For every one death the USA suffered Russia had seventy.

I thought it was great the way he set them straight on it.

I've read plenty on the Eastern Front in ww2, from serious history books to trashy Sven Hassel novels.

I'm currently trying to expand my knowledge of the Eastern Front in ww1. That was a huge theatre of operations but it is seldom mentioned in any English language books or documentaries. I tried reading The Eastern Front by Norman Stone but I found it to be quite dry as it really just gave an overview and didn't really get into the nitty gritty of life on the front line. Ring of Steel by Alexander Watson was excellent. It had a lot of detail about the lives of civilians and refugees. I've just ordered The Seige of Przemysl, also by Watson, which covers the titular 1915 battle. If it's as good as Ring of Steel I'll be very happy.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Life and Fate was a bit of a slog to read.  Mostly because it is easy to confuse the Russians with their surnames.  But it is some piece of work.  Always enjoyed reading Beevors books.  Not long finished his Arnhem book.  I first heard of life and fate watching this really good documentary about cuddly old Joe Stalin

A must watch this.

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

1396742320_Vasili_Zitsev.jpg.c3736201a148d812bc1586ab4e171a59.jpg

The absolute boy. 225 confirmed kills.

His reward, being played by Jude Law.

lol I like Jude Law. He's especially great in The Young Pope, just a class job of being a petulant and devastating monarchical man child.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Awesome Soviet memorials probably deserves it's own thread tbh.

Abandoned-Soviet-Monuments-Buzludzha-Monument-1.thumb.jpg.d32c7cb3752772f34925153502f4e043.jpg

The Soviet monuments in Berlin are so great. Can't imagine what it would do to the British psyche to have massive monuments to the behemoth that rolled through your country less than a century ago all over the place.

43 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've read plenty on the Eastern Front in ww2, from serious history books to trashy Sven Hassel novels.

I'm currently trying to expand my knowledge of the Eastern Front in ww1. That was a huge theatre of operations but it is seldom mentioned in any English language books of documentaries. I tried reading The Eastern Front by Norman Stone but I found it to be quite dry as it really just gave an overview and didn't really get into the nitty gritty of life on the front line. Ring of Steel by Alexander Watson was excellent. It had a lot of detail about the lives of civilians and refugees. I've just ordered The Seige of Przemysl, also by Watson, which covers the titular 1915 battle. If it's as good as Ring of Steel I'll be very happy.

Have always been on the lookout myself for good stuff on the WW1 Eastern Front but haven't had much luck outside of chapters here and there in histories of the Russian Revolution.

29 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

The American understanding of how WWII went down is an interesting one. I've had Americans talking about Russian victories over the Germans as if these were sad events. There are a lot of German heritage Americans whose families begrudge anti German sentiment from WWI and there's more than a little hints of sympathy for Germany in WWII. I don't think this was ever really confronted as a nation in the aftermath like it was in Europe and so we see today folk with surnames like Rittenhouse shooting people in the street and half expecting to get away with it.

Any anti-communism memorial in Eastern Europe is so funny because it takes about five minutes of digging deeper to find the person/ people being venerated burned down entire villages, filled mass graves with commies, or started pogroms without prompting from the Germans.

If you ever get a chance, check out the Russian film from a few years back - it's just called Stalingrad (or Сталинград!)

At first viewing some of it seems comically far-fetched, like this scene where the Russians charge German positions - WHILE ON FUCKING FIRE - but the majority of it probably wasn't that far off the mark...by all accounts it was a truly horrific battle.

35 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

At first viewing some of it seems comically far-fetched, like this scene where the Russians charge German positions - WHILE ON FUCKING FIRE - but the majority of it probably wasn't that far off the mark...by all accounts it was a truly horrific battle.

If only the Nazis had John Smeaton...

39 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

If you ever get a chance, check out the Russian film from a few years back - it's just called Stalingrad (or Сталинград!)

Aye that's the one, no bad like.  That scene was awesome, just as they cross the Volga.  Don't know how realistic it is though.

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye that's the one, no bad like.  That scene was awesome, just as they cross the Volga.  Don't know how realistic it is though.

I'd read that bit was - very - loosely based on something that actually happened, but obviously guys on fire from head to toe would be incapable of fighting...IRL it was more like one unit got caught between a rock and a hard place with a burning oil refinery behind them and the Germans in front of them.