Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

1 hour ago, G51 said:

The technology for building tunnels is actually pretty straightforward and from an engineering perspective, is likely easier than bridges. Especially somewhere like the Pentland Firth where the environment above-ground can be pretty harsh.

An overly-simplistic tunnel build is basically dredging a big hole from one end to the other, casing that in concrete then pumping the water out. You then take the dredger back and cover the tunnel with the seabed you previously excavated. Hey presto, a big f**k-off tunnel.

Yeah I don't know where they're were thinking of landing it, was just speculating. Maybe better to connect into Skye or something - you'd create a decent population centre then and you'd still have a bridge to the mainland

What I had heard was connecting all the outer Hebrides so you could just drive Barra to Lewis.

I think that makes sense in terms of economically developing the islands.

There was some local disquiet though as they thoughr tourists would just blast through the southern islands to tick them off and all head for Harris and Lewis. At the moment you are forced to spend at least one night down south.

From a language and culture PoV there are competing schools of thought that making the western isles more easy and accessible will bring in outsiders which will finally kill off the language. Others make the point that without an economy it will die anyway as young people head elsewhere. 

I have to say that for all the moaning about what went on in the past 200 years the Scottish Parliament have done just about f**k all to invest in highland and island economies other than just expecting them to operate as a glorified safari park.

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'm reliably informed that 2km of the new A9 is opening up tonight. Inch by inch we're getting this dual carriegway licked!

How are they planning widening it at Sloch? Lots tnt?

Would be absolutely class if Dounreay got this. It won't, because no one gives a f**k about the Far North and the only reason it got Dounreay in the first place is that they were a bit unsure about fast reactors and if it blew up they weren't too worried about turning Caithness and North Sutherland into a radioactive wasteland.

We need to develop solutions like this.

Feasibility study to start on the bridge / tunnel to Ireland...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56341013

Jeremy Vine show there redefining ill-informed...

"Won't it make the traffic through Larne really heavy?"

"Will there have to be a customs border on the bridge?"

"Instead of getting the ferry you could drive across for the cost of a tank of petrol."

12 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

"Instead of getting the ferry you could drive across for the cost of a tank of petrol."

hoping they build a petrol station in the tunnel

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

The border checkpoint would need to be absolutely enormous at the Scottish side of the bridge as why would you sail from Belfast to Liverpool which takes 8 hours when you could drive in 5. Mental idea unless they plan on building a border and checkpoints along the NI/Eire border which of course they can't.

On 11/03/2021 at 20:45, Highland Capital said:

I've never been to Larne but considering their football team is nicknamed the Harbour Rats it makes me quite intrigued to visit to see if it really is as grim as it sounds.

This is right by the train station, I first saw it when we rolled off the ferry. Larne Borough Council spent £13,000 on it for the jubilee but didn't bother themselves with planning permission or any of that democratic nonsense.

https://goo.gl/maps/KeP6uiFMTg4CUQck8 

Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 01.29.47.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2021 at 17:08, invergowrie arab said:

The tunnel should go right under Larne and appear somewhere normal like Galway.

...but he'll still be droning on about the need for Irish unity in other threads. Doubt this tunnel will happen as it's really about deflecting attention from what Brexit has done to the Union. There would need to be massive investment in transport links along a Portpatrick to Dumfries axis if it did, so the cost would be a lot more than just the figure for the tunnel that gets mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure it counts as infrastructure as such but the ongoing Spaces For People programme in Edinburgh continues to provoke a lot of opposition. Several of the main roads near me has had a cycle lane and floating parking spaces added and people on local Facebook groups and user groups for local services are universal in their opposition. Personally speaking I think the opposition is completely over the top. People seem to act like the floating parking is actively dangerous and that steering past them is impossible. There are legitimate flaws with the scheme - the bollards used are really ugly and out of place and there are concerns about careers being unable to park near clients houses.

So often when it comes to people’s cars and parking, a minor inconvenience is blown into a major issue.

On 18/04/2021 at 20:08, ICTChris said:

Not sure it counts as infrastructure as such but the ongoing Spaces For People programme in Edinburgh continues to provoke a lot of opposition. Several of the main roads near me has had a cycle lane and floating parking spaces added and people on local Facebook groups and user groups for local services are universal in their opposition. Personally speaking I think the opposition is completely over the top. People seem to act like the floating parking is actively dangerous and that steering past them is impossible. There are legitimate flaws with the scheme - the bollards used are really ugly and out of place and there are concerns about careers being unable to park near clients houses.

So often when it comes to people’s cars and parking, a minor inconvenience is blown into a major issue.

Yeah there is a lot of seethe around this. There are certain bits near me that have been permanently changed for the worse IMO (Braid Rd closed to traffic for the last year causing huge congestion on Comiston Rd, and now being changed to be one way only for example) but some of the stuff I’m seeing online seems way over the top.