Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

It says "10 of the 27 flats are privately owned" so remaining 17 presumably council/housing association?

Ah right enough. Surprised they got a mortgage for the non standard construction. Would assume this was built in and explained to them by their lawyer when they bought, even if they didn’t know the life expectancy of the concrete.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

It says "10 of the 27 flats are privately owned" so remaining 17 presumably council/housing association?

I think they would originally have been a block of council flats with a number acquired on right-to-buy a number of years ago. . 

ebddd2c0-5f7c-11ed-b950-4dadc68f0cfc.jpg

Screenshot-2023-12-11-at-07.25.27-1200x8

3f48f8ada4b4b320bedc7f65003c4d54-1680096

1712954205277?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=YgRgQ4-ge6ZV7898mXtoFwX1DdYIccraY6Gkds-c2vg

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952fyqi8n7mhzomsoj9iyhel7gkqg21ykhmgce07eg5&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

However...

... 4yrs late...

... 4x overbudget...

... costing £1.1m-per-inmate :unsure:?

New Inverness prison in 2026 is 'realistic and deliverable' (pressandjournal.co.uk)

New Inverness prison in 2026 is ‘realistic and deliverable’

The Press and Journal was given access to the construction site of the new HMP Highland today – four years after the project was initially scheduled for completion.

In April, the Scottish Government gave the final go-ahead for the project with the signing of a construction contract. The new prison, which will accommodate 200 inmates, will cost taxpayers £209million, more than four times the original figure of just £52million.

Today, Scottish Prison Service deputy governor and project executive Lorraine Roughan told the P&J the prison will “realistically be finished by 2026″. She said work on the site “is currently on time and on programme”. Meanwhile, cabinet secretary for justice Angela Constance – who was also in attendance – said a 2026 completion is “deliverable”. She said the Scottish Government is not at fault for the delays and increased costs

On 24/08/2024 at 18:47, HibeeJibee said:

Couple of interesting RAAC council house stories today.

Up in Aberdeen it's going to take 3-4yrs and cost £70,000 per house to demolish 366 properties (another 138 are private), then upto 15yrs to rebuild at £360,000 each:

Hundreds of Aberdeen RAAC homes to be demolished and rebuilt - BBC News
Hundreds of homes in Aberdeen affected by potentially dangerous concrete are to be demolished and rebuilt at an expected cost of more than £150m.

48102310-5fd3-11ef-8b3a-855e585a4dd6.png.webp

Meanwhile in bonny Tillicoultry - evacuated at 3hr notice and 1yr on still unable to retrieve all their possessions - the council still hasn't decided what to do:

RAAC Tillicoultry residents angered after evacuation - BBC News
Homeowners in Clackmannanshire whose flats were evacuated almost a year ago have told BBC Scotland News of their anger at the way have been treated.

7f12a540-620d-11ef-b43e-6916dcba5cbf.jpg.webp

Have they come up with any explanation as to why it would cost £360k to rebuild each home, never mind £70k for demolition? These are mental figures that don't bear any resemblance to costs in real life.

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

ebddd2c0-5f7c-11ed-b950-4dadc68f0cfc.jpg

Screenshot-2023-12-11-at-07.25.27-1200x8

3f48f8ada4b4b320bedc7f65003c4d54-1680096

1712954205277?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=YgRgQ4-ge6ZV7898mXtoFwX1DdYIccraY6Gkds-c2vg

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952fyqi8n7mhzomsoj9iyhel7gkqg21ykhmgce07eg5&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

However...

... 4yrs late...

... 4x overbudget...

... costing £1.1m-per-inmate :unsure:?

New Inverness prison in 2026 is 'realistic and deliverable' (pressandjournal.co.uk)

New Inverness prison in 2026 is ‘realistic and deliverable’

The Press and Journal was given access to the construction site of the new HMP Highland today – four years after the project was initially scheduled for completion.

In April, the Scottish Government gave the final go-ahead for the project with the signing of a construction contract. The new prison, which will accommodate 200 inmates, will cost taxpayers £209million, more than four times the original figure of just £52million.

Today, Scottish Prison Service deputy governor and project executive Lorraine Roughan told the P&J the prison will “realistically be finished by 2026″. She said work on the site “is currently on time and on programme”. Meanwhile, cabinet secretary for justice Angela Constance – who was also in attendance – said a 2026 completion is “deliverable”. She said the Scottish Government is not at fault for the delays and increased costs

The Empire Oubliette, a crude yet effective method of containing prisoners.  How does your world keep its most dangerous criminals? : r/worldbuilding

Build oubliettes. Cheaper and cuts re-offending

7 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Have they come up with any explanation as to why it would cost £360k to rebuild each home, never mind £70k for demolition? These are mental figures that don't bear any resemblance to costs in real life.

Especially when the whole point is if you wait long enough it self demolishes 

3 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The difficulty with that is it could last a long time and it might not actually have anything wrong with it at the moment, just no-one is going to say it's ok to live in as you can't see the faults.

Personally - and I will defer to P&Bs resident concrete expert if I’m talking shite (again, cue up Tom Jones) - I think the hysteria over RAAC is a load of nonsense. 

Big buildings with RAAC and the stresses going through that frame, fair enough. But I don’t recall there being a flurry of news reports of big buildings spontaneously self demolishing. For a three storey block of flats I reckon the concrete frame will still be stronger than the block and timber pish that goes up built to current regulations. 

I reckon it’s all a concocted big hoax to keep the ‘experts’ in mushroom suppers. 

One of the main difficulties is that the concrete doesn't bond as well to the reinforcement. Water ingress can lead to corrosion of reinforcement (which can spall the concrete) easier than normal.

The whole building doesn't need to fail, a lump of concrete falling on someone's head can do a fair bit of a damage. As damage is likely to be hidden, it's very difficult for an engineer to say it's safe (their insurers would probably have kittens and advise against it). The council are even less likely to have anyone willing to sign anything saying it's safe.

On 29/08/2024 at 20:35, Archie McSquackle said:

One of the main difficulties is that the concrete doesn't bond as well to the reinforcement. Water ingress can lead to corrosion of reinforcement (which can spall the concrete) easier than normal.

The whole building doesn't need to fail, a lump of concrete falling on someone's head can do a fair bit of a damage. As damage is likely to be hidden, it's very difficult for an engineer to say it's safe (their insurers would probably have kittens and advise against it). The council are even less likely to have anyone willing to sign anything saying it's safe.

The problem with RAAC is that it was assumed to be operating in dry conditions. So specifying it in roof structures in the UK was a f**king stupid decision in the first place due to corrosion of steel. The workmanship of the panels is on the equivalent of Kilmarnock and Livi’s pitches so they were doomed from the get go.  My work ir riddled with it but it fouled easily be propped and sorted over a longer time frame but no, the whole roof could cave it at any moment so let’s spend north of £15m to sort it quickly (5 years apparently).

Anyway, I see the weegies have opened their bridge.  Wonder how long it will take for a traffic cone to be shoved on for the #bantz.

13 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The problem with RAAC is that it was assumed to be operating in dry conditions. So specifying it in roof structures in the UK was a f**king stupid decision in the first place due to corrosion of steel. The workmanship of the panels is on the equivalent of Kilmarnock and Livi’s pitches so they were doomed from the get go.  My work ir riddled with it but it fouled easily be propped and sorted over a longer time frame but no, the whole roof could cave it at any moment so let’s spend north of £15m to sort it quickly (5 years apparently).

Anyway, I see the weegies have opened their bridge.  Wonder how long it will take for a traffic cone to be shoved on for the #bantz.

You’d be raging if you were actually using the bridge to get somewhere and you were held up by all these fuds going across and filming it like it’s Disneyworld. Wouldn’t get any of these posers going through the lovely pedestrian part of the Clyde Tunnel 

I went down to the new bridge across the Clyde which spans from the side of the maritime/ transport museum over to Govan cross,  which has some nice architecture and a Baynes The Baker.

Not sure why it wad needed, but it will give the Partick Subway Loyal a chance to shed a few calories when they're back at the Bronx I suppose.

19 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Whichever trendy UoG Film Student who edited that abomination of a video should get an instant fail.