Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

A direct sleeper from Edinburgh to the major European cities would be awesome.
That was close to the plan in the 90s for a direct sleeper from Glasgow Central to Paris and Brussels. The locos and some coaches were built for it but the rise of low cost airlines killed it. Some of the locos are now used on the current Caledonian Sleeper South of Edinburgh and Glasgow and the coaches sold to Canada

14 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

We could easily have a hyperloop, people need to stop with this tram pish and think big, Glasgow Airport to George Square in 2 minutes. Get it done. 
But back in the real world a tram system from the airport is the sensible choice, could even route it over the proposed Bridge at Yoker into the West End so that visitors and tourists don’t have to go past Snake Mountain.

The proposed tram goes to QUEH and will then use that stupid failed Fastlink space to go along the Clyde on the Govan side and across the squinty bridge. You won't be able to see Ibrox.

Drive down the A9 to Fife for a funeral on Thursday there. 

The 2nd part of duelling still looks miles off. Presumably this is going to take another 20-25 years from now to complete? 

one of their pals will have a consultancy firm with no engineering expertise

How busy is the ferry route anyway? It must really only handle semi local Scotland- northern Ireland traffic and frieight given the pish poor road connection on the Scottish side . The bulk of the Ireland- Britain traffic must surely take the dublin - west wales routes ? Even if there was a fixed link the wagons are not going to drive all the way past Birmingham to stranraer, a good 5hours even if a motorway was built along the solway coast , crossthe bridge then drive another 2-3 hours to get down to Irelands main population centre. Thats a pretty long way for a shortcut

On 02/10/2020 at 19:07, jamamafegan said:

Big infrastructure news for Perth.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/118m-cross-tay-link-road-22779921

Would be interesting to get the thoughts of #perthshire folk on this one. I used to live on the East’s side of the Tay and travelled through Bridgend every day. The traffic in the mornings there is horrific, so to me this seems like a no brainer for getting lorries and other folk onto the bypass. I’m all for it, although I’m not sure if the design of the road has changed which was due to run through ancient woodland - and I can’t support that so hopefully that’s still not the case.

Much like the Inshes link road in Inverness it's meant to help relieve congestion, which I am sure it will help with, but it will also facilitate the construction of hundreds if not thousands of new homes (in the case of the Perth link road) and then the roads will simply become more congested again once these areas are fully developed. Whilst new road infrastructure is needed there seems to be little progress made in giving people alternative travel options to their own car. In the case of Inverness public transport is utterly laughable with swathes of the "city" cut off or served by incredibly infrequent bus services after the evening peak.

On 04/10/2020 at 09:20, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

The proposed tram goes to QUEH and will then use that stupid failed Fastlink space to go along the Clyde on the Govan side and across the squinty bridge. You won't be able to see Ibrox.

Trams going over the squinty bridge would cause traffic chaos. 

On 03/10/2020 at 12:39, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

People need to stop talking about a Subway extension. It just doesn't stack up economically to build a modern metro, the population isn't dense enough so you can deliver the exact same benefit with a tram. Plus a circle by a circle is a bit shite for most journeys, they wouldn't be compatible as the new one will be bigger gauge. Just leave the subway as it is now , extension chat is pointless electioneering distraction or a slow news day at the evening times.

Focus on a tram from Paisley - Airport - Renfrew - Braehaed - QUEH - Govan - City centre - out east overland or through the London Road tunnel making it useful for Celtic Park. This has been muted recently and should be the first step in a large tram network for the city, new lines and converting the Maryhill and Cathcart Circle heavy rail.

It solves the airport problem and provides useful light rail connections to areas only served by bus. The airport link is a shite idea as it only goes from Central, people aren't going to cart all their shit into town and then onto another train or worse the subway or bus. Anyway the platforms and the new track have all been taken up by vastly improving Ayrshire services which delivers far more benefit.

Trams are essential for credible cities. Yes the Edinburgh one went tits up but once it gets to Newhaven everyone will love it. Most European cities have them, poorer and smaller cities than Glasgow and Edinburgh. Fucking Montpellier had 4 extensive tram lines and no cars in the city centre (all the roads in disappear underground into car parks) when I was there 10 years ago, a small provincial city of a couple hundred thousand.

Long term a tunnel connecting Central and Queen St so you can have through trains and get rid of all the capacity issues at Central. Billions for this though so not happening as part of UK.

Aye, well, there's no fans.

I think this is all a ploy for the Norn Irish to get another museum by building it themselves and then collapsing it into the sea.

Eta:  I believe they call it 'planned obsolescence' these days.

Edited by Hedgecutter

13 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

1. Secure agreement with Glasgow and Belfast to alternate hosting ALL the matches/pallet burnings every year.

2. Blow up the bridge when it's Belfast's turn.

3. Rebuild bridge, mark its opening by inviting all marchers trapped in Belfast to march back across to Scotland.

4. Surprise roadblock at both ends.

5. Blow up the bridge again.

My immediate thoughts when I heard about the bridge idea were ‘get in the sea’ so this is a welcome solution. 

I think this is all a ploy for the Norn Irish to get another museum by building it themselves and then collapsing it into the sea.
Eta:  I believe they call it 'planned obsolescence' these days.

Is this how Dundee got the V&A?

Just now, Enigma said:

Is this how Dundee got the V&A?

A key part of their campaign was demolishing the old Olympia centre and saying "ugly buildings won't be tolerated in our city because we're teckle when it comes to arty sh*te". 

Not sure if this is the right thread but a nice picture of a new tram development inNorway.

There’s always a place in this thread for trams mate.

Noticed a few of the comments on that pic are “why aren’t the bike lanes protected?” Just goes to show how far ahead these guys are compared to us. Here we’d have folk saying “why are the bikes lanes so big why don’t they just use the roads like the rest of us!!1!1!”