Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

Probably not the most appropriate thread for this but I don't see much interest in a "Scottish Buildings" thread so...

Massive fan of the University of Aberdeen's Zoology building, where I spent far too much of my life at university, being used as the setting for the film Tetris which is based in Cold War era Russia. A truly brutal building from the outside.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/2914447/filming-for-hollywood-movie-tetris-begins-in-aberdeen/

5277769_62f3d00b.jpg

George Street to be pedestrianised.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/council/car-ban-plan-as-council-unveils-european-boulevard-feel-for-edinburghs-george-street-3145858

I don’t really understand how anyone could really object to this, no doubt lots of people will.

I think it's a good idea but it would be good if they could still run buses down the street especially for those who may find it a bit difficult to get to some of the shops from either end of George Street. If it means they fix the crater ridden North / South Charlotte Street as part of it then bring it on.

43 minutes ago, RiG said:

I think it's a good idea but it would be good if they could still run buses down the street especially for those who may find it a bit difficult to get to some of the shops from either end of George Street. If it means they fix the crater ridden North / South Charlotte Street as part of it then bring it on.

If they run buses down the street it would defeat the entire purpose. I don't think folk avoid Buchanan St, Argyle St or Sauchiehall St because they don't have bus stops on them.

Princes St and Queen St are plenty near enough for bus stops.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

George Street to be pedestrianised.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/council/car-ban-plan-as-council-unveils-european-boulevard-feel-for-edinburghs-george-street-3145858

I don’t really understand how anyone could really object to this, no doubt lots of people will.

Traders still need access to Dixons.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

If they run buses down the street it would defeat the entire purpose. I don't think folk avoid Buchanan St, Argyle St or Sauchiehall St because they don't have bus stops on them.

Princes St and Queen St are plenty near enough for bus stops.

Part of the overall plan however, IIRC, is to potentially not having any buses going down Princes Street (apart from the tram) with talk of bus stops at either end. Potentially not great for people with mobility issues. The displaced traffic onto Queen Street would be some sight :lol:

On 21/02/2021 at 16:33, Highland Capital said:

Anymore news on the Glasgow Subway going driverless?  The metro in Copenhagen is driverless.

Hopefully never. Need that friendly face poking out the window for when you're diving down the stairs before the doors shut. Trebly so if it's a subcrawl and you need a pish at the next pub.

5 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Remember there was talk of adding another loop?  Think that'd be a good addition.

Prohibitively expensive so unlikely to ever happen. A metro system that would combine commuter rail with a tram like format appears more likely:

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/gamechanger-glasgow-metro-system-takes-19761712

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Part of the overall plan however, IIRC, is to potentially not having any buses going down Princes Street (apart from the tram) with talk of bus stops at either end. Potentially not great for people with mobility issues. The displaced traffic onto Queen Street would be some sight :lol:

George St is as close to Queen St as it is to Princes St, so it shouldn't make that much difference. 

It's a bit of a myth that pedestrianising streets is bad for people with mobility problems. Distances might become a little longer, but there would be no roads to cross and a lot more space. People with restricted mobility are less likely to own a car than the rest of us, yet they're often used as an argument against excluding cars. Public transport is the issue here of course, so they'll need to make sure the stops on Queen St are well placed. It will be bad for some people of course, but it will be good for others, especially those who use mobility scooters.

Displaced traffic will do what it has done in other cities - it will soon disappear. People will change how they make their journeys, or when, or they'll make different journeys. Utrecht just closed a motorway and it hasn't caused any real problems, while there's more people visiting the city centre than ever because it's a nicer place to be. I think a pedestrianised George St, Princes St (with trams) and Royal Mile would be amazing, it would instantly be by far the best city centre in the UK.