Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

19 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Never change golfers

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-golf-club-members-demand-23121984

The Spaces For People bollards on Lanek Road do look bloody awful and I can see why some residents might have a problem with the lack of parking - if you have a requirement for frequent visitors, ie carers it could be an issue, and the bike lane seems v under utilised. However most of the complaining is just moaning for the sake of it by people who have a tantrum if they have to park fifty feet away from where they are going.

Drivers can't be trusted to not park in the cycle lane so unless you want the council to spend more money on adding proper kerbs then the bollards are needed - the safety of people on bikes are more important than parked cars along this road corridor, where the alternative is the dark and muddy Water of Leith path. 

Best bit is some of the comments trolls signing the petition: "I occasionally have to walk 150 yards extra before walking 6 miles round the course. I am rolling in my grave. That’s not what I designed golf for." - Old Tom Morris :lol:

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Drivers can't be trusted to not park in the cycle lane so unless you want the council to spend more money on adding proper kerbs then the bollards are needed - the safety of people on bikes are more important than parked cars along this road corridor, where the alternative is the dark and muddy Water of Leith path. 

Adding proper kerbs would be perfect.

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Adding proper kerbs would be perfect.

Aside from money, permanent changes to the road need a TRO/RSO so you'll have objectors to deal with, which in the case of the Roseburn to City Centre cycle path project delayed it by a couple of years while it went to government reporter. If we're ever going to improve things at anything more than a snails pace, the process needs to be made quicker.

36 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Aside from money, permanent changes to the road need a TRO/RSO so you'll have objectors to deal with, which in the case of the Roseburn to City Centre cycle path project delayed it by a couple of years while it went to government reporter. If we're ever going to improve things at anything more than a snails pace, the process needs to be made quicker.

Abolish local democracy IMO. Objectors heads mounted on bollards.

I obviously jest and I’m not even a cyclist but living in the local area I do feel it’s important. When I was a kid I cycled everywhere, I cycled to school the entire time I attended. Hardly any kids cycle to the local secondary school up here, I don’t think there’s even a bike shed. I don’t blame the kids or the parents, if things are the same as now when my son goes to secondary school I would never let him cycle, roads are far too congested and narrow.

I doubt it can be done, for the reasons you’ve outlined but hopefully the car free George street plans go through and are a success, that might influence people to support better infrastructure for cycling and walking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first in what could be a number of neighbourhoods built under the banner of Edinburgh's "Garden District" have been given the go ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-61011783

The scale of the overall development is massive. Around 9,000 homes stretching from Gogar southwards until Baberton running alongside the bypass the west alongside the M8 adjacent to Heriot Watt University. 

50 minutes ago, RiG said:

The first in what could be a number of neighbourhoods built under the banner of Edinburgh's "Garden District" have been given the go ahead.

The scale of the overall development is massive. Around 9,000 homes stretching from Gogar southwards until Baberton running alongside the bypass the west alongside the M8 adjacent to Heriot Watt University. 

I know a lot of people around this way aren't keen on new houses being built.  I like being able to have countryside near to us both in terms of the Water of Leith and the area around Heriot Watt.  This development is needed though.

I do wonder what impact having a lot more houses will have on traffic, the main arterial roads around here are pretty cramped already.

I also wonder if politically there might be push back. 

1 hour ago, RiG said:

330 affordable homes, probably about 200k.