Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

22 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I went down to the new bridge across the Clyde which spans from the side of the maritime/ transport museum over to Govan cross,  which has some nice architecture and a Baynes The Baker.

Not sure why it wad needed, but it will give the Partick Subway Loyal a chance to shed a few calories when they're back at the Bronx I suppose.

Connect communities, connect Patrick to Govan via 10 min walk, greater connected cycle pathways, increased development and social housing opportunities,, boost local businesses and greater options for viable new businesses, reclaim desolate areas of Clyde, better access and, further connectivity to Clydeside walkway, encourage active travel, encourage greater use of Transport Museum, further utilisation of the river Clyde itself,, a tourist route/destination via the hop-on/hop-off bus , additional car free areas, long delayed work to address isolation of the Transport Museum........

25 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

Connect communities, connect Patrick to Govan via 10 min walk, greater connected cycle pathways, increased development and social housing opportunities,, boost local businesses and greater options for viable new businesses, reclaim desolate areas of Clyde, better access and, further connectivity to Clydeside walkway, encourage active travel, encourage greater use of Transport Museum, further utilisation of the river Clyde itself,, a tourist route/destination via the hop-on/hop-off bus , additional car free areas, long delayed work to address isolation of the Transport Museum........

Aye, but apart from that...

10 hours ago, Pocketman said:

image.thumb.png.b898bebf8f72d842d36ddf1686c0a8dc.png

Edited by Pocketman

The M8 westbound has been some laugh the last couple of days, apparently there are 10 more days of it. Luckily I'm only travelling eastbound but queues from past the Shotts junction to Bathgate when I passed today

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

The M8 westbound has been some laugh the last couple of days, apparently there are 10 more days of it. Luckily I'm only travelling eastbound but queues from past the Shotts junction to Bathgate when I passed today

I forgot about it yesterday.. fortunately I set out in time for the QP v Edinburgh City game 

On 06/09/2022 at 10:19, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It’s a long established principle in this thread  that all infrastructure spending is a massive waste of public money except the bits in the same bit of the country as  the person posting because those  are vital and long overdue investments

On Twitter that principle apparently needs amended to read "the same part of the city"

16 hours ago, Pocketman said:

image.thumb.png.b898bebf8f72d842d36ddf1686c0a8dc.png

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Do nightclubs count as infrastructure?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c20j40pzjn3o

There are now 82 nightclubs in Scotland, down from 125 in 2020. 

Twenty years ago, in places like Kirkcaldy and Dunfermline you used to have the pubs open until 12 and then had to go to a club to keep drinking later (until 2 generally) 

Now pubs in Dunf and Kdy are open until 1 or 2am at the weekends. Clubs have reduced in number despite being able to open until 3 or 4am.

I think the early hours drinking was the main draw (excluding proper clubs where the music is a big attraction) The pubs are open late enough to reduce this as an incentive.

The secondary draw has been usurped by the internet for meeting a partner.

Looking at Edinburgh you can see a clear Geography to the places closed. George Street, Cowgate and a few gay friendly clubs by Picardy Place are still hanging on, but most of the outlying clubs from 20 years ago are closed...

Eros and Elite- Fountain Park

Subway Westend +Revolution- Lothian Road.

Massa +City- Market Street

Cav +Establishment- Tollcross

Mood- Omni Centre

Gaia- Kingstables Rd

Medina - opp Potterow

Cirtus- off Lothian Rd

Studio 24+ The Venue - Calton Rd

Development has definitely killed a few of these, probably reduced demand too. 

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I know a theme park isn't infrastructure but Loch Lomond can breathe easy............................

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/sep/16/flamingo-land-resort-loch-lomond-shore-rejected-scotland

I’m kinda torn on this. Tourism is a big industry on Loch Lomond. The Vale of Leven is in a tailspin of poverty. And the land is old railway sidings inside an already developed envelope. 

I hate to see landscape desecrated (I’m looking at you, wind farms) but this doesn’t strike me as the most terrible idea. 

12 minutes ago, Raith2711 said:

Twenty years ago, in places like Kirkcaldy and Dunfermline you used to have the pubs open until 12 and then had to go to a club to keep drinking later (until 2 generally) 

Now pubs in Dunf and Kdy are open until 1 or 2am at the weekends. Clubs have reduced in number despite being able to open until 3 or 4am.

I think the early hours drinking was the main draw (excluding proper clubs where the music is a big attraction) The pubs are open late enough to reduce this as an incentive.

The secondary draw has been usurped by the internet for meeting a partner.

Looking at Edinburgh you can see a clear Geography to the places closed. George Street, Cowgate and a few gay friendly clubs by Picardy Place are still hanging on, but most of the outlying clubs from 20 years ago are closed...

Mood- Omni Centre

Gaia- Kingstables Rd

Medina - opp Potterow

Cirtus- off Lothian Rd

Development has definitely killed a few of these, probably reduced demand too. 

If pubs were taking business away from clubs the pubs would be doing well, or at least holding up with gain from clubs matching loss to elsewhere(mainly home drinking). But pubs are also suffering, as are restaurants that are meant to take part of the early income from the nighttime economy.  The whole thing is collapsing and it seems nowhere near sending alarm bells to those in power despite how much it puts into the tax system, I'm guessing only cos it doesn't bother landlords if they lose a nighttime venue cos 6 months later it's back in profit as flats.

Shows in a small city(in British/european/global terms) like Edinburgh that things are being squeezed, Lothian road isn't out of town FFS and should easily be able to attract punters.

Slightly jet lagged so that wasn't especially well worded. 

No doubt places like Kirkcaldy and Dunfermline are quieter than 20 years ago. In Kirkcaldy there's one nightclub instead of three, but there are 5 or 6 pubs with 2am licenses so there has been a transfer of sorts to people drinking in pubs that would have by default been in clubs due to the time. Total numbers out in town will be well down though.

Interesting point re restaurants, although contributing to the same night time economy it's got a slightly different but overlapping clientele. Points to reduced disposable income but potentially also folk happier to get a takeaway and stay in the house.

All the closed Edinburgh places I mentioned are perfectly walkable/a cheap taxi away from the areasthat still have clubs so I'm not sure why they have all closed and left two small strips of clubs. Possibly the land worth more for other stuff ? Gaia and Establishment both made way for development.

On 16/09/2024 at 22:29, Raith2711 said:

Mood- Omni Centre

Gaia- Kingstables Rd

Medina - opp Potterow

Cirtus- off Lothian Rd

This post just gave me a hangover…

On 16/09/2024 at 22:40, Florentine_Pogen said:

I know a theme park isn't infrastructure but Loch Lomond can breathe easy............................

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/sep/16/flamingo-land-resort-loch-lomond-shore-rejected-scotland

As much as it would be good for the local economy (in theory), the biggest concern many folk had was the roads and infrastructure to get people there. The roads around the area are a disaster