Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

Went straight to bed after thr final whistle. Took forever to fall asleep but I just have to say iv given the players as much criticism as anyone in recent years. But last night was as I said at the time, a performance for an international football lost generation.

David Marshall saved the day, but the back 3 were imperious. McTominays lapse aside the three of them were magnificent and you have to give special mention to Gallacher who was the only real CH there for running the show and placing Mitrovic firmly in his pocket. Mitrovic is exactly the type of player who usually bullies Scotland teams.

SOD grew into it too. I still think he is a touch out his depth but if he was nervous it showed less as the game went on.

Ryan Jack was excellent. Neat and tidy, and in the true fashion of that type of midfielder, when we were bossing it you hardly heard his name. He just looked after the middle of the park and moved the ball on to McGinn and McGregor or shifted it wide.

McGregor is probably motm for me. He was absolutely everywhere. Covered every blade of grass, looked to create and also helped out defensively numerous times.

I think the most credit goes to Sir Steve Clrake though. I didnt think we had that performance in us, then when the gut wrenching equaliser went in I only seen it going one way like most others. That was a test of mettle of the highest magnitude and he takes the credit for ultimately doing what no one has done since 1998. He has been slowly building, and it's been a tough watch. A lot of talk of which players actually can be arsed etc etc, but now finally, Steve Clarke can say to these players if you come and show up in the dark blue, you can play on the bighest stage. This has to be a catalyst for the National team now.

Get the fucking crowds back for summer!!!!

I've had about an hour's sleep all night. Totally buzzing. What a performance up until the point we decided just seeing the game out was too boring.

I can't describe how much respect I have for the character they showed after conceding that goal. Just sheer balls.

And entirely sober, I actually welled up last night and got pretty choked up, just during the fucking advert break as well. Did not expect that.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I've had about an hour's sleep all night. Totally buzzing. What a performance up until the point we decided just seeing the game out was too boring.

I can't describe how much respect I have for the character they showed after conceding that goal. Just sheer balls.

And entirely sober, I actually welled up last night and got pretty choked up, just during the fucking advert break as well. Did not expect that.

Was the same. Totally didnt expect my reaction to the first goal then at the end I was a bit overcome. Again totally unexpected after the last few years. Iv seen the day where Scotland meant more to me than Falkirk, it seems to go in waves. I dont think it will ever be that again but the character shown lastnight was everything iv complained about being missing and more. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Was the same. Totally didnt expect my reaction to the first goal then at the end I was a bit overcome. Again totally unexpected after the last few years. Iv seen the day where Scotland meant more to me than Falkirk, it seems to go in waves. I dont think it will ever be that again but the character shown lastnight was everything iv complained about being missing and more. 

It was incredible. I think back to the 4-0 game in Russia, where I still maintain we were alright up until they scored. And then they predictably melted like a chocolate kettle.

We've come so far from that night and as you say that is down to the manager. He's just brought that calm determination he has to the squad. The progress over even the last 2 months is absolutely remarkable.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
10 minutes ago, Willie adie said:
Marshall however old he is or what form he is in should get an honorary place in the finals squad, 
Even if he is no longer playing he can be 3rd keeper

The finals is only a few months away. Hes going as number 1.

Watch this space as Allan McGregor and Scott Brown try to slink out of retirement again. 

26 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Watched it whilst at work in Auckland. A lot of bemused looks from the Kiwi’s, they just don’t get how much this means. It’s a huge boost for every Scot all over the world. Still buzzing.

There's nothing like international football.  Its the biggest thing in the world, see like their rugby team I bet they're all big fans but it doesn't mean anything, international football really matters in a way nothing else does in sport.  Its the modern equivalent of warfare.

I still can't believe we did it tbh