Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

1 hour ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Watched it whilst at work in Auckland. A lot of bemused looks from the Kiwi’s, they just don’t get how much this means. It’s a huge boost for every Scot all over the world. Still buzzing.

Took the day off to watch, after 20 minutes it was too much. I've been waiting too long for a game like this, took the dogs out for a walk and we're 1 up when I got back. Been glued to tv and P&B since. Shed a few tears, had a bottle of wine and a whisky or two, now off to bed very very happy. Hope you all have a great day

3 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Given the way McGregor played last night, can we pick one of the front players as the pre-match scapegoat next time? They’ll probably get a hat trick!

It used to be Forrest before him, was hilarious seeing folk go on about how shite he was against Israel then he got a hatrick, morons. 

11 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

From the moment he stepped foot in Almondvale you could tell he was a player. Even before he signed then there were pundits talking about how much of a perfect fit for Livi he was going to be.

Don't get me wrong, the transformation has been outstanding and he was definitely a better player when he left Livi than when he joined, but we didn't have to teach him everything. He was a phenomenal athlete when he arrived, we just taught him how to play 9 rather than 10/11.

This. Monkey Tennis just cannot see it, and he wasn't alone, but the notion that he became a far better player overnight when he joined Livingston is just utter codswallop. I was predicting three years ago he would be playing international football. Granted I thought it would be for Australia, not Scotland, but the potential was very obvious. He stands out more in a system like Livi and Scotland use where he's the focal point for attack and runners get beyond him rather than being a partner for a goalscoring machine as he was with us but the attributes haven't changed. He's just got stronger and wiser with it.

2 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

two Motherwell players were key amongst Man Utd, Arsenal, Celtic, Villa, Liverpool and Rangers players, Love to see it. 

Imagine if someone said to you four years ago that Scotland would go with a back five comprising regular starters from Manchester United , Liverpool, Arsenal......oh aye, and two players from Motherwell

In tears again reading everyone's posts this morning. Folk who are experiencing this for the first time, folk who have waited a long 22 years, guys who had people close to them pass away and aren't around anymore to share it with them.

23 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Most butterflies in the stomach since the 2016 Cup Final.

I think a lot of us give it the 'meh, don't care/international football is shite' sort of patter, but f**k me, full range of emotions here. 

One of the biggest games of my life.

21 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I think that's fair enough.

It's probably hard to put into words. For me, the cup win in 2016 put a lot of things both previously and since then in perspective. Reflecting on the manner of the victory and realising that it would be unlikely that I would ever experience that relief and those emotions again.

Scotland qualifying for a major tournament again now feels similar, the constant disappointments, the feeling that it's never going to happen.

Posted this before the game. Last night was similar to 2016, not quite at the same level though and not followed by a 3 day bender either. I think the current situation with the pandemic has an effect. It's been a shite year for everyone, although it would be absolute carnage out there last night and today if the boozers were open.

I remember quite vividly David Marshall as a plooky 17 year old playing heroically for Celtic against Barcelona in 2004. Would have  that night he was the man to take us to a Euros. Shame it took sixteen years though. Still over the moon.

Its not bad having them being the two games you will be remembered for.

18 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Gareth Southgate was gushing about him too. 

20 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

We have finally shaken off that inferiority complex that would fester from the manager down in previous regimes. 

The inferiority complex has been a massive milstone for about 30 years now, fucking hell the last time we went to a world cup our motivational song was fuckin cunty delamitri " just don't come home to soon" wtf whoever signed of on that needs taken out and leathered. this we don't have any expectation mentality is nothing but complete shitebaggery and is the sign of a losers mentality, it does not, as some may  counter claim , allow players to play with freedom without the burden of expectation  - something which England suffered with for many years. but their situation is different from ours .

we have badly needed a manager who can get away from that awful diddy mentality of " a point here is a good result"  " there a good side and it's a tough place to come"   . every tournament since 98 was characterised by the same thing, Failure to beat lower ranked opposition. shitefesting 0-0's away to Estonia was disgraceful when we had 6 epl players in the team. it shows a complete lack of confidence and belief and we got what we deserved.

we saw the difference with Kilmarnock under Clarke, they stopped playing by the diddy code of sitting in tight against the old firm and boy did it pay off, they must have taken more points from the ugly sisters than anyone has since the 80s * needs fact checked

as an aside, southgate seems to be a similar story for the English,  he's clearly not the best   manager out there but he is the best man for them.

All of this talk of a full hampden tho, it's not a home game for us. it's a euro 2020 group match nd the venue will technically be neutral? tickets will be quite even and will involve a shit load of corporate. that's if theres any fans at all!  on the flip side we should get 25 k for Wembley tho 

Was already out on my landing screaming the street down as soon as the save was made, didn't even realise there was a couple of secs delay till Marshall made sure his save was legit :lol:

Properly sinking in this morning that we've finally done it. Bawled like a wean when I woke up this morning, reading all the posts and watching all the videos, seeing it wasn't a dream. Born in 92 I don't really have memory of 98 so putting this down as my first. 

Watched it whilst at work in Auckland. A lot of bemused looks from the Kiwi’s, they just don’t get how much this means. It’s a huge boost for every Scot all over the world. Still buzzing.
I watched it in bed in Jakarta. Woke my wife up at 5:15am when the penalty was saved. Been walking round work with the biggest smile all day!

If someone hasn't done a John McGinn YouTube compilation of him arseing players out the way and turning into free space, they should really do one now with plenty of material from tonight.

He’s clearly nowhere near that level but after Messi, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho I don’t think any player has ever made me laugh as much as McGinn. There are only so many times you can watch 6 ft plus tanks bounce off him with a straight face [emoji23].