22 year hoodoo comes to an end... What now?

greenockraver

Next aim has to be to get out the group. It's very achievable. After that, we're in uncharted waters, but I'd trust this team to do us proud. It seems like one that would be well suited to a knockout tournament format.

Marshall

McTominay Gallagher Tierney

Palmer ------------------------- Robertson

Jack McGregor

McGinn Dykes Fraser

For me, this is our best team, but there's loads of players who can rotate in.

7 hours ago, velo army said:

Republic of Ireland.

I'm not a glory hunter, and now that we're a team of routine qualification Euroshaggers it's time for me to step aside and seek a new challenge among the sub pot 3 dross.

And dat's all oi hav to say abow dat.

There's more to Oireland dan dis.

8 hours ago, G51 said:

Next aim has to be to get out the group. It's very achievable. After that, we're in uncharted waters, but I'd trust this team to do us proud. It seems like one that would be well suited to a knockout tournament format.

Marshall

McTominay Gallagher Tierney

Palmer ------------------------- Robertson

Jack McGregor

McGinn Dykes Fraser

For me, this is our best team, but there's loads of players who can rotate in.

Rather good starting eleven

1 hour ago, The Marly said:
8 hours ago, greenockraver said:
Its still not sunk in yet... but what's your team going forward?

Last night was brilliant, but the downgrade when bringing on the first three subs was frightening.

Harsh but ....

2 hours ago, The Marly said:
9 hours ago, greenockraver said:

Last night was brilliant, but the downgrade when bringing on the first three subs was frightening.

This.  Lyndon Dykes needs to be placed in a protective forcefield till the Finals.

9 hours ago, velo army said:

Republic of Ireland.

I'm not a glory hunter, and now that we're a team of routine qualification Euroshaggers it's time for me to step aside and seek a new challenge among the sub pot 3 dross.

And dat's all oi hav to say abow dat.

Was thinking yesterday when NI still had a chance of going through and we looked like we were too.  We wouldn't be the odd ones out again, watching on TV while every other nation went and had a ball.  Fucking yass.

2 hours ago, The Marly said:
9 hours ago, greenockraver said:

To be fair though, the subs weren't made purely to try and keep the quality up, they were made to close out the game.  McBurnie was brilliant in that role (shame that "ultimate shithouse" seems to be his limit) in previous games, but struggled there.  Had we managed to defend one more corner, and McBurnie had managed to get the ball at his feet at any point and actually do what he was supposed to, those subs look a hell of a lot better.  They were never meant to play 30 more minutes.  I get what you mean, but we've still got players like Armstrong that could come in, Griffiths if he can get a bit of form and fitness up.  Fraser if he can stay fit.  We have some depth, even if it's nowhere near as deep as we'd hope.

21 hours ago, G51 said:

Next aim has to be to get out the group.

Looking at WCs 1986 to 1994... Euro 2016... African Nations Cup 2019... Asian Cup 2019...  this usually needs 4pts, or 3pts without negative GD (or at worst -1).

So basically beat the Czechs comforably and lose both other games narrowly; beat Czechs and draw another; or 3 draws (but hope rest don't beat each other once).

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

So basically beat the Czechs comforably and lose both other games narrowly; beat Czechs and draw another; or 3 draws (but hope rest don't beat each other once).

Fxck that.

Two Hampden wins and a dry boaby served up at Wembley.

No point pissing about.*

*the above may/may not happen but if it does I'm going full McGlashen.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Looking at WCs 1986 to 1994... Euro 2016... African Nations Cup 2019... Asian Cup 2019...  this usually needs 4pts, or 3pts without negative GD (or at worst -1).

You would think 4 points would get us at least a best 3rd place to get go the last 16?