Slovakia v Scotland - 15/11

TheScarf

48 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Cannae tell if we should rotate for this game, keeping folk fresh for a potential decider against Israel, or get the best team out and rest them once we've sealed the group win. I think any team that fits the current system from the current squad should still beat Slovakia... even with Paterson and McBurnie starting.

Presuming we stick with the 3-5-1-1 that puts a lot of work onto the wing backs so I would certainly give Palmer a run out ahead of O'Donnell and maybe even rest Robertson as he has had a few 40-50 game seasons in recent years and this will be another. In defence and midfield a few players "deserve" a run out like Considine, Cooper, Armstrong and McLean so I would play a few of them. Dykes is out anyway so I presume it will be like for like with McBurnie. Let's go with

Marshall

McTominay    Gallagher    Cooper
Palmer                                                                               Tierney

Jack
McLean               Armstrong

Christie

McBurnie

Although if Christie needs a wee lie down play any two from Burke/Griffiths/Shankland/McBurnie upfront in a 3-5-2 instead of a 3-5-1-1. Or Armstrong behind  a striker and keep McGregor on. 

Sportsound reports Palmer will likely play as he did the news conference , Robertson is a doubt and there will be a " freshening up "

52 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Cannae tell if we should rotate for this game, keeping folk fresh for a potential decider against Israel, or get the best team out and rest them once we've sealed the group win. I think any team that fits the current system from the current squad should still beat Slovakia... even with McBurnie and Paterson

Mmmm 

Anyway I am sure Super SC will start with McBurnie

I would like to see Griffiths on at some point

Will Tierney stay at left centre back ?

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Cannae tell if we should rotate for this game, keeping folk fresh for a potential decider against Israel, or get the best team out and rest them once we've sealed the group win. I think any team that fits the current system from the current squad should still beat Slovakia... even with Paterson and McBurnie starting.

Presuming we stick with the 3-5-1-1 that puts a lot of work onto the wing backs so I would certainly give Palmer a run out ahead of O'Donnell and maybe even rest Robertson as he has had a few 40-50 game seasons in recent years and this will be another. In defence and midfield a few players "deserve" a run out like Considine, Cooper, Armstrong and McLean so I would play a few of them. Dykes is out anyway so I presume it will be like for like with McBurnie. Let's go with

Superman

McTominay    Gallagher    Cooper
Palmer                                                                               Tierney

Jack
McLean               Armstrong

Christie

McBurnie

Although if Christie needs a wee lie down play any two from Burke/Griffiths/Shankland/McBurnie upfront in a 3-5-2 instead of a 3-5-1-1. Or Armstrong behind  a striker and keep McGregor on. 

FTFY

On 13/11/2020 at 09:51, John Lambies Doos said:

It's important tbh. Slovakia will also have a hangover tbf. They can't win group either.

Also if we do f**k up, a win against Israel would also do it.

Is for world cup a massive game

Not sure but think only highest point group winners proceed to a play rather than all group winners

We could do with 2 wins in short

As say, they have also just played 120 mins and will have hangover and are already out this group

In all the celebrations, I hope that SSC can have the lads totally focused again on the game tomorrow as this is another big one, as mentioned previously by fellow posters and by SSC himself today.

With Robertson sounding unlikely to play, the debate is whether to play Tierney at LWB knowing that he probably couldn't then play in Israel with the way Arsenal and Scotland are managing him, play Taylor at LWB and Tierney at LCB or Taylor at LWB and one of Considine, McKenna or Cooper at LCB. It is a tough conundrum for Clarke particularly to ensure that we are as strong as we can be tomorrow. If SOD is replaced by Palmer, I wouldn't want to drop Tierney.

Further forward, it feels like McBurnie will replace Dykes up front but I would rather it was Griffiths myself. And in the midfield, McLean and Armstrong will likely replace Jack and McGregor to freshen that area up.

As such, I would likely go: Marshall; SOD, McTominay, Gallagher, Cooper, Tierney; Armstrong, McLean; Christie, Griffiths, McGinn.

But I think Clarke will go: Marshall; Palmer, McTominay, Gallagher, Cooper, Tierney; Armstrong, McLean; Christie, McBurnie, McGinn.

31 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Sounds like quite a raft of changes from the gaffer - but actually i think the other boys in the squad will be buzzing to contribute at the moment.

Does a draw mean we top the group?

We need two draws to confirm it. However, even if we lose both games we'd still win the group if the Czechs and Israel draw tomorrow.

Can someone explain the logic of promotion in the Nations league? Why would any team want promoted to group A and play the top teams?

Wouldn't Scotland be better to stay in group B and get an easier play off?

Edited by red23

Can someone explain the logic of promotion in the Nations league? Why would any team want promoted to group A and play the top teams?

No, that's not the way it works. If Scotland are on group A and say finish 4 in nations league group, chances are teams above ie Germany, Italy etc would qualify automatically so if we don't qualify automatically we get play off probably against a much lower ranking team. Group A virtually guarantees play offs if we don't qualify automatically

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

No, that's not the way it works. If Scotland are on group A and say finish 4 in nations league group, chances are teams above ie Germany, Italy etc would qualify automatically so if we don't qualify automatically we get play off probably against a much lower ranking team. Group A virtually guarantees play offs if we don't qualify automatically

Ah i see, like Iceland? (who got pumped out by Hungary anyway)

The Serbia game was fucking brilliant, and what a feeling to finally get the monkey off our back, but now that we have, lets not resort to small time. We cant be sacrificing games whilst we celebrate qualifying for an expanded Euros. Instead lets make sure we never have to wait fucking 23 years again. We will be into the teeth of warming up for the Euros before we know it. Sealing this last week with wins over Slovakia and then Israel after would be some way to go into next year. Its a big ask but there should be no resting on our laurels.

6 hours ago, red23 said:

Making the assumptions that a) the format remains similar in years to come and b) we'd be relegation favourites in League A, we're exactly where we want to be. If you're at a level where you can realistically be a yoyo side between A & B, being in A for a pre-European Championship Nations League and B for a pre-World Cup Nations League is a great position to be in.

Being in A for the Euros guarantees you're Pot Two at worst for the qualifying groups, and even if you lose every game you're pretty much guaranteed a playoff - fewer than 12 of the 16 teams in A qualifying automatically is extremely unlikely, and there's a fair chance you'll get easier ties than you would in B or C. Being in B for World Cups gives you a far more realistic shot at winning your group than in A, and a far better chance that winning your group will be enough to make the playoffs than in C.

Obviously if we do go up to A we should take the opportunity to compete and try to survive, but even if we were to be relegated we'd be in a good position.

The Serbia game was fucking brilliant, and what a feeling to finally get the monkey off our back, but now that we have, lets not resort to small time. We cant be sacrificing games whilst we celebrate qualifying for an expanded Euros. Instead lets make sure we never have to wait fucking 23 years again. We will be into the teeth of warming up for the Euros before we know it. Sealing this last week with wins over Slovakia and then Israel after would be some way to go into next year. Its a big ask but there should be no resting on our laurels.
Can you see Clarke allowing that to happen? The players deserved the blow out, there probably will be changes but that will be more down to fatigue than anything else, even though Slovakia played 120 minutes too the other night.

No danger that they will be 100% focussed on winning today.