Slovakia v Scotland - 15/11

TheScarf

Adams, whose father is from Antigua, was invited to join the Antigua and Barbuda squad for Caribbean Cup qualifiers in October 2014, but decided against accepting the invitation.[95] He was then called up to the England C squad – the team that represents the country at semi-professional level[96] – but he signed for Sheffield United before the 18 November fixture and thus became ineligible. He was called up to the England U20 squad for two matches against the Czech Republic in early September 2015.[97] He made his debut on 5 September in a 5–0 win at St George's Park, replacing Tyler Walker for the final 17 minutes,[98] and started the second match, a 1–0 defeat.[99]

Adams also qualifies to represent Scotland, through a maternal grandparent. He was approached by the Scottish Football Association in 2017, initially to consider playing for Scotland U21, and later for a senior friendly in November, but was not willing to commit himself at that time.[100]

To me that sounds like he'd be very gettable.  Obviously hanging out for England, fair enough, but would imagine he'd accept that's unlikely by now, and we were shite in 2017, we're pretty decent now.

Would be a few noses out of joint if he came in now after other players have got us to the tournament, but, like Gilmour, personally I'd pick the best players available.  Though that could really upset morale I suppose, but either way even for the WC qualifiers too he'd be a good option to have.

8 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

To me that sounds like he'd be very gettable.  Obviously hanging out for England, fair enough, but would imagine he'd accept that's unlikely by now, and we were shite in 2017, we're pretty decent now.

Would be a few noses out of joint if he came in now after other players have got us to the tournament, but, like Gilmour, personally I'd pick the best players available.  Though that could really upset morale I suppose, but either way even for the WC qualifiers too he'd be a good option to have.

Yeah, I think Adams could be a decent player for Scotland, but unless there is some kind of injury crisis I just can't see Clarke chasing after a guy who has already said no, and put him into the squad over one of the players who helped get us there. It would be the same as bringing back one of the "retired" guys like Brown or Ritchie.

It seems right now that morale is at an all time high and it's an extremely close knit group, you don't want to f**k that up, not now. If Adams is interested after the Euros, then absolutely.

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Think Adams is only 24. Had a decent start to the season so if that continues I wouldn’t say he’s miles off an England call up. 

He will maybe pick up a cap at some point, but he's behind Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Greenwood, Calvert Lewin, even Danny Ings and that's just off the top of my head. He'll never be a regular.

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

He will maybe pick up a cap at some point, but he's behind Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Greenwood, Calvert Lewin, even Danny Ings and that's just off the top of my head. He'll never be a regular.

Yeah, would agree with you - depends what that odd cap is worth to him. 

46 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I'll always tip my hat for the bottle shown by McBurnie to slot that penalty. Apart from that he's shite and should be nowhere near this team

Pretty much this for me, he shouldn't play against Israel, he's had two chances and has neither worked hard enough or showed the ability to deserve his place.  Whether that is him not suiting the tactic or whether it is because he is shite at Football I don't know, I've never seen him at club level.  

What does he bring to Sheffield's attack that we are not getting the benefit of? 

Spoiler

I don't think the next squad is until March so he's got plenty time to go and graft and show why he should be involved. 

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Simple really, ask him...if he says yes get him in pre euro and dump McBurnie.
We can't be sentimental here. Adams is decent and links up brilliantly with Armstrong

I think if you’ve asked and he was unwilling to commit, it is up to him to ask Scotland if they are still interested.

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Pretty much this for me, he shouldn't play against Israel, he's had two chances and has neither worked hard enough or showed the ability to deserve his place.  Whether that is him not suiting the tactic or whether it is because he is shite at Football I don't know, I've never seen him at club level.  

What does he bring to Sheffield's attack that we are not getting the benefit of? 

Hide contents

I don't think the next squad is until March so he's got plenty time to go and graft and show why he should be involved. 

I think they play with 2 up front, usually him and David McGoldrick or him and Billy Sharp.  Seems to suit him.  Every time I see him score its a header in the 6 yard box.  

Totally different system from the highlights I've seen of them this season.  The way Scotland play seems completely alien to him.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I think they play with 2 up front, usually him and David McGoldrick or him and Billy Sharp.  Seems to suit him.  Every time I see him score its a header in the 6 yard box.  

Totally different system from the highlights I've seen of them this season.  The way Scotland play seems completely alien to him.

That doesn't really fit our mould at all in that case.

Might be wrong but I don't think he's even scored for Sheffield Utd this season

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Might be wrong but I don't think he's even scored for Sheffield Utd this season

You're right.  0 in 7.  Must have been last season I saw him score, during Project Restart.

59 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I think Adams could be a decent player for Scotland, but unless there is some kind of injury crisis I just can't see Clarke chasing after a guy who has already said no, and put him into the squad over one of the players who helped get us there. It would be the same as bringing back one of the "retired" guys like Brown or Ritchie.

It seems right now that morale is at an all time high and it's an extremely close knit group, you don't want to f**k that up, not now. If Adams is interested after the Euros, then absolutely.

Aye I think that's sensible tbf.  

1 hour ago, GAD said:

fair point, i imagine clarke is trying to keep the squad the same as much as possible. Adams is a player we probably should return if in need or for the next campaign.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

You're all over the place here. You're simultaneously arguing that people are being harsh on McBurnie because he doesn't offer the same skills as Dykes so you can't expect him to play the same way, but also that he's the best alternative to Dykes because none of our other strikers can play the same way as Dykes.

You've also argued that other centre forwards have demonstrated they aren't good enough over the course of three caps, while simultaneously arguing that anyone writing someone off for only managing one good sub appearance in the course of 14 caps is just looking for a scapegoat rather than making a fair judgement on their performances in over 11 hours of football.

That's a pretty big whiff there, so fair play. You do realise that Dykes is primarily in the team to bring others into play, and that - despite offering less on the whole - it's been the same with McBurnie? He doesn't directly occupy central defenders as well, or work as hard out of possession, but the principle remains very much the same. You basically made my point yourself with the word "alternative" - he isn't a full replacement, and at no point have I claimed that he is. He merely brings us the closest skill-set to Dykes. Looks like you're the one who's all over the place, Dunning!

On the second point, I think it's quite obvious that a guy who has turned in plenty of good performances in the EPL and outstanding ones in the Championship - and is among the youngest serious options we have in the position - is a better option than the likes of Shankland and Brophy, and furthermore Griffiths who isn't in any way fit. That's just on the base level, even before you consider intricacies like their attributes and general style of play. As I've gone to great lengths to try and make clear, I'm not even a fan of McBurnie and I would be thrilled if any of the aforementioned trio (or anyone else) was a better option for us; it would mean that our squad had become stronger. As it is, McBurnie is our second-best striker. Not only is that my view, but one that Steve Clarke shares too!