Slovakia v Scotland - 15/11

TheScarf

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

That other "gilt-edged" chance would've involved him taking a silken touch running at close to full tilt in the middle of a quite busy penalty box. The ball for the header ended up a wee bit behind him and therefore he couldn't generate the power or direction required to beat the keeper. 

Or just putting it in the net with his first touch from 10 yards out as you would expect any international centre forward to do. Griffiths would score that 9 times out of 10, as would Shankland.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

I'd prefer at Czech win to a Israel win tonight.   I don't like Scotland playing for draws as it always leads to negative passive displays.   

and we cannot rely on a penalty shoot out on Wednesday !

7 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

I'd prefer at Czech win to a Israel win tonight.   I don't like Scotland playing for draws as it always leads to negative passive displays.   

Nonsense. The Czechs are at home to Slovakia on Wed night which means they will be favourites for another 3 points. That would mean we have to win in Israel which will be far from easy. 

If we only needed a point I reckon we would go all out for 3 and if we only get 1 then fine. But to need to get all 3 is a much tougher proposition by far. 

4 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

does anyone have the slightest idea if the slovaks or israelis will be bothered about dropping down 1 section?

just trying to think what kind of teams they will put out

Israel will park the ####ing bus

and try and hit us on the break

although they are at home

It would have been simpler if we had got a draw today

Edited by ewan14

Ultimately today was a weird one. Very deeply frustrated at losing the game as it piles on pressure for the game over in Israel.

And yet the performance was not the worst at all, particularly in the first half. In terms of most of the changes, there wasn't a significant drop off in quality and we had the better chances in the match.

However we did see a considerable drop off in quality up front and also in our final ball. On the latter first, our final ball was absolutely brutal at times, particularly in the second half where we were determined to float in a lazy cross without getting to the byline or try to thread a pass where none was on.

On the lack of quality up front, I know Oli McBurnie is given a lot of stick. But it is thoroughly merited. He should have scored when threaded through by Armstrong and his header, while under pressure, was straight at the keeper. He does not win anywhere near as much as Dykes and the ball does not stick up front for McBurnie. In my mind, Naismith and Griffiths are better options when both are fitter than the bold Oli.

Other than that, we missed McTominay and Tierney at centre half carrying the ball out into the midfield and we missed Jack to control the midfield. However, I think it is unfair to say any of the three centre halves did anything wrong, just that Cooper and Considine aren't as comfortable carrying the ball forward. The three centre halves did fine.

Tierney was absolutely outstanding at left wing back today, superb display and Christie did well, as much as the final ball didn't come off for him.

Ultimately it is a missed opportunity down to our own wastefulness, one which we may well regret come this time Wednesday night. And yet, there were more positives than negatives performance wise to take from the display.

Onto Wednesday and restoring our strongest team possible to start the match.

12 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

If Israel won tonight (they lost 1-0) we wouldn't have won the group.  

There was 3 possible outcome from tonight's match,  

Option A)  A draw between Czech and Israel.   Every man and their dog wanting this to happen, it didn't.  

That leaves us with: 

Option B)  Czech win and we play Israel side ( who cannot win the group).   We need to match the Czech result.   

Option C)   Israel win and can win the group home by beating us at home.  

I'd rather B over C.  

Do you understand?  

If Czech Republic draw and we lose we would still win the group on head to head. So not strictly true we need to match their result. If they win we do need to win.  Any other result for them and we are top no matter what happens in our match.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer