Slovakia v Scotland - 15/11

TheScarf

14 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

It's bizarre that Scotland fans always have to have at least one scapegoat to pick on; McBurnie the sole victim of it now.

It’s not in the slightest bit bizarre.

Fans will tend to be critical of the weakest element of their team, and that weak point was on full display today, not for the first time.

McBurnie may well come good eventually, but by God it’s been a tortuous process so far.

At this point, I’d almost rather give Burke a go. I mean at least he’s scored a goal.

Edited by ArabFC

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Fans will tend to be critical of the weakest element of their team, and that weak point was on full display today, not for the first time.

McBurnie may well come good eventually, but by God it’s been a tortuous process so far.

At this point, I’d almost rather give Burke a go.

I'm not sure what good it's doing continually lambasting a player who looks set to be a squad regular in the long term, is currently second choice, is clearly low on confidence, and is under immense pressure to perform. He was almost immediately written off by Scotland fans, and every time he hasn't had a great game since then has served as some sort of justification for the opinions of folk who seem to take pleasure from his struggles. I don't rate the guy particularly highly, but we are clearly short of quality and depth up front (as we have been for a long time). It would be different a different matter entirely if there were clear and obvious replacements for his place in the XI/squad, but there really aren't. Shankland and Brophy are both some way off being international quality and one or both have appeared in most squads we've had since Clarke came in; McBurnie is younger than the former, the same age as the latter and is playing/has performed well at a significantly higher level than either of them ever have. Griffiths can hardly play half an hour without blowing out of his arse, so we can't rely on him and - even if we could - we need that position to be filled by a focal point who can play with his back to goal, bringing other attacking players into the game. That's never been Griffiths' strength.

1 minute ago, the_bully_wee said:

I'm not sure what good it's doing continually lambasting a player who looks set to be a squad regular in the long term, is currently second choice, is clearly low on confidence, and is under immense pressure to perform. He was almost immediately written off by Scotland fans, and every time he hasn't had a great game since then has served as some sort of justification for the opinions of folk who seem to take pleasure from his struggles. I don't rate the guy particularly highly, but we are clearly short of quality and depth up front (as we have been for a long time). It would be different a different matter entirely if there were clear and obvious replacements for his place in the XI/squad, but there really aren't. Shankland and Brophy are both some way off being international quality and one or both have appeared in most squads we've had since Clarke came in; McBurnie is younger than the former, the same age as the latter and is playing/has performed well at a significantly higher level than either of them ever have. Griffiths can hardly play half an hour without blowing out of his arse, so we can't rely on him and - even if we could - we need that position to be filled by a focal point who can play with his back to goal, bringing other attacking players into the game. That's never been Griffiths' strength.

You're aware of the concept of being a football fan

They often have opinions on the performances of the footballers selected for the teams they support, both good and bad

For instance

Today Kieran Tierney looked brilliant at left back

Oli mcburnie looked worse than George Weahs cousin

12 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

At this point, I’d almost rather give Burke a go.

All this talk about strikers prompted me to check out what Johnny Russel was up to Stateside.

He's still playing for Kansas but have no idea as to his form.

Playing his football Stateside has probably ruled him out of future squad call-up consideration but I always thought he put in a good shift in a Scotland jersey.He is now 30.

1 minute ago, Binos said:

You're aware of the concept of being a football fan

They often have opinions on the performances of the footballers selected for the teams they support, both good and bad

For instance

Today Kieran Tierney looked brilliant at left back

Oli mcburnie looked worse than George Weahs cousin

I'm just very intrigued to know who these fans want to see playing instead of McBurnie, and why they feel said player would fare much better or improve us. If Dykes turned in a similar performance today then I'm willing to bet there'd be a lot less negative sensationalism regarding the overall quality of it. 

Aye, the McBurnie experiment has to come to an end IMO.  He's like playing with a man down.  He's had enough opportunities and has contributed absolutely nothing.

Just for the sake of it, qualifiers and playoff teams if the last European Championship/Nations League had the same qualifying process as the upcoming World Cup, just so you can get an idea what sort of team you might expect to face if you made the playoffs:

Qualify automatically as Group Winners:

England, Ukraine, Germany, Switzerland, Croatia, Spain, Poland, France, Belgium, Italy

Qualify for Playoffs as Group Runners-Up:

Czech Republic, Portugal, Netherlands, Denmark, Wales, Sweden, Austria, Turkey, Russia, Finland.

Qualify for Playoff as best Nations League teams not already qualified/in playoffs:

Iceland, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Iceland were 12th and Bosnia 13th best team in the Nations League... so judging by that unlikely that any League B team (best possible ranking this time of 17th) will get a WC qualifying spot.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

8 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I'm just very intrigued to know who these fans want to see playing instead of McBurnie, and why they feel said player would fare much better or improve us. If Dykes turned in a similar performance today then I'm willing to bet there'd be a lot less negative sensationalism regarding the overall quality of it. 

But if Dykes turned in pretty much 14 such appearances in a row, there absolutely would be heads gone all round.

I'm not saying we should ditch him by any means - we just need to understand that he's not a like-for-like replacement for Dykes. Then again, we were swearing blind that McTominay wasn't a CB just a few games ago...

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

But if Dykes turned in pretty much 14 such appearances in a row, there absolutely would be heads gone all round.

I'm not saying we should ditch him by any means - we just need to understand that he's not a like-for-like replacement for Dykes. Then again, we were swearing blind that McTominay wasn't a CB just a few games ago...

The point I'm making is that today's performance, alone, would be viewed and described differently if it was one by Dykes. Take it in isolation and I would say McBurnie was actually fine on the whole today, but any mistakes he makes are obviously going to be viewed differently when folk have completely written him off already. He should've scored at least one, but his all-round performance wasn't anywhere as near as poor as is being made out. As I said, there are parallels with the Steven Fletcher scenario where some people's ultimate judgement depended on his goalscoring, when doing so isn't his main role within the system. He struggled badly on Thursday night too, but the entire team was blowing out of its arse when he came on and were shelling the ball up to him with no support, which isn't something he has ever thrived on. Even then, he went on to tuck away a crucial penalty.

I thought tonight out performance was very good

Clarke mixing it up was right cos we were fresh and energetic

We made a lot of chances spurned not just by McBurnie

I would have put Shankland on a lot sooner

But maybe bye then the chances were drying up

We got beaten by a deflection that was the difference

Its a lesson to take out chances when we dominate

Maybe he will still try and get Karlan Grant and Che Adams?

We seriously must Ryan Jack tonight and Lyndon Dykes

I would love Gritthis to be fit to for the 90

Was praying he got a free kick when he came in

Also thought the ref was terrible be too start never let game flow

We got another chance with Israel so let's do this

Keep on setting the standards bigger and better aiming for the top

We never look back we only look forward

Israel won't lie down so we need to be better in final third

And we need to defend like we did today

Even if the luck was against us today

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297