Slovakia v Scotland - 15/11

TheScarf

24 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I should say that I wasn't wanting him to fail today. Not at all. I was hoping a clear 90 mins run in a side on an undefeated streak could be the perfect opportunity for him to break his duck or even just link nicely with Christie and Armstrong and give us all a sense of having a bit more than just Dykes to rely upon as an attacking threat.

^^^ This. He has been given ample chances.

Is the_bully_wee seeing something everyone else on this thread is missing?  The guy has won 14 caps and done absolutely nothing.  11 hours on the pitch in total and one Scotland goal scored in that time.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Is the_bully_wee seeing something everyone else on this thread is missing?  The guy has won 14 caps and done absolutely nothing.  11 hours on the pitch in total and one Scotland goal scored in that time.

I'm probably seeing the same as international-tournament-qualifying manager Steve Clarke is seeing; that Oli McBurnie is, for the moment, Scotland's second-best option as a number nine. Not a bad minority to be in, tbf.

9 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Johnny Russell plays out wide for Kansas, but he appears to be their captain now and has scored 5 in 16 for a team at the top of their conference.

I'd pick him, but a certain bias exists tbf!

I think he deserves a squad place but tend to think Clarke has discounted him because of where he plays his football (no reflection on the MLS incidentally).

Covid-19 doesnt help.

7 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

That other "gilt-edged" chance would've involved him taking a silken touch running at close to full tilt in the middle of a quite busy penalty box. The ball for the header ended up a wee bit behind him and therefore he couldn't generate the power or direction required to beat the keeper. 

He was clean through ffs

Apologist

You his agent

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

Players I would play ahead of McBurnie...

• Steven Fletcher
  • Oli Burke
  • Leigh Griffiths
  • Lawrence Shankland
  • Kevin Nisbit
  • Johnny Russell
  • Chris Martin
  • Fraser Hornby
  • Calum Paterson
  • Steven Naismith
  • Marc McNulty
  • Yer da

Players international-tournament-qualifying manager, Stephen Clarke, would play ahead of McBurnie:

• Lyndon Dykes

1 minute ago, the_bully_wee said:

I'm probably seeing the same as international-tournament-qualifying manager Steve Clarke is seeing; that Oli McBurnie is, for the moment, Scotland's second-best option as a number nine. Not a bad minority to be in, tbf.

Clarke's continual selection of him is a massive black mark against him.  Scotland will do nothing at the Euros if he is the solo striker at any point in the 3 group games.

It's noticeable that Scotland get to positions to qualify for tournaments when McBurnie is sat on the bench.

1 minute ago, the_bully_wee said:

Players international-tournament-qualifying manager, Stephen Clarke, would play ahead of McBurnie:

• Lyndon Dykes

I just watched the replay of his chances the header was a great ball right on the money and his first chance he takes a awful first touch

I know that you were just fishing for a reaction though

Just now, TheScarf said:

Clarke's continual selection of him is a massive black mark against him.  Scotland will do nothing at the Euros if he is the solo striker at any point in the 3 group games.

It's noticeable that Scotland get to positions to qualify for tournaments when McBurnie is sat on the bench.

Is his selection of Shankland, Brophy etc (objectively worse football players, who have shown that international football is beyond their capabilities) also a massive black mark against him? The debate here has never been that McBurnie is very good, nor have I ever said that he should be our first choice. It's that he is nowhere near as bad as is being made out, and the criticism of him is way over the top.

Considering it was far from a first-string team, we actually played pretty well at times in that game. 

Useful game and it does show that the likes of McBurnie, Palmer, probably McKenna are squad players rather than stick on starters. 

McBurnie has been pish in a Scotland shirt, albeit it from that game last month when he hit the bar and actually looked OK. Far too often he doesn't find a blue shirt with a header, pass, takes far too long in doing the easy thing, or by the time he has processed what to do with the ball he's been tackled or he's on the ground. I don't watch enough of the EPL or Sheffield United, and maybe he's excellent there, but Dykes has to be our first choice. McBurnie is probably best suited to us being 1/2-0 up against a better side and not having to rely on him to do anything for us, but chase their tired defenders e.g a headless chicken.

O'Donnell has really come on since the Russia hidings. I like the lad, and its a nice story, TBH (so is Considine winning his first cap at 33) but there's no semantics at all when I say he should start ahead of Palmer if both are fit. Palmer found himself out of position often today, over cooked passes or giving the ball away to the opposition or no one, but his crossing is a lot worse than SOD's. I hope both him and McBurnie have stonking seasons and go to be great assets to the national team, but I fail to see anything in either. 

Armstrong was very good, it's quite the decision to pick that midfield now and its very strong. McKenna, I am still unsure about, he's ever improving from a few years back, but he has always minds me of having a Steven Pressley moment in him either holding on to his man or a crunching tackle in the box, players should be picked on form and Declan Gallagher has to retain his spot at present, IMO, then again a long way to go this year and there will be injuries come the Euros. 

Tierney played very well, some brilliant runs, very intelligent with the ball and who is around with plus some decent crosses in to the box too. It's fantastic to know we have two very, very good players in Robertson and Tierney who can play there - if one or the other gets injured. I'd even put Tierney in at right-back if SOD was out over Palmer.

The main disappointment of today was we looked pretty good and really should have at the least got a point. Another minor criticism I have of Clarke is his substitutions, he is far too timid and often very late in ringing the changes, Griffiths was his first change at the 68th minute. And, they weren't great at all, and we could have tied up the group. Still, we'll see how the night goes and maybe a 1-1 in the other group game could help us secure the group. 

I'm sure we all would have taken a win on Thursday and a decent performance from an almost B team today, if given the option last Wednesday. 

2 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Is his selection of Shankland, Brophy etc (objectively worse football players, who have shown that international football is beyond their capabilities) also a massive black mark against him? The debate here has never been that McBurnie is very good, nor have I ever said that he should be our first choice. It's that he is nowhere near as bad as is being made out, and the criticism of him is way over the top.

Shankland hasn't had a chance to prove himself at the level though has he?

And he got important goals when he was in U21 team

To judge a player at international level they need 20 caps

Same applies to McBurnie or who ever else is the pantomime vilan

Just now, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Shankland hasn't had a chance to prove himself at the level though has he?

And he got important goals when he was in U21 team

To judge a player at international level they need 20 caps

Same applies to McBurnie or who ever else is the pantomime vilan

If you can't even prove yourself as a stand-out player at Scottish Premiership level, then you're unlikely to get much of a chance to do so at international level. In the appearances Shankland has had for Scotland, it's confirmed what we already know; he is a lethal penalty box striker, but has very limited physical attributes which will stop him from making a mark further up the ladder. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Because he's an absolute fraction of the player Scott McTominay is in that role, and his lack of technical ability was very obviously apparent. That doesn't mean he played poorly - he was fine - just that he's nowhere near as good as some of the others in his position and never will be.

Scott McTominay put in one of the worst performances from any Scotland player, ever, just a few games ago....in that very position. 

I judge players by the performances they put in while wearing a blue shirt, and one misplaced pass aside Considine hasn't put a foot wrong in 3 games. The original poster made a post saying that switching players in defence led to no obvious drop in quality, and I agree with that. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, TONTROOPER said:

Where is Gary MacKay-Stevens playing his football these days?

Another player who has drifted out the picture internationally...shame...I thought he promised a lot.

He's at New York City. 

Playing regularly I think, he scored last week. 

8 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

If you can't even prove yourself as a stand-out player at Scottish Premiership level, then you're unlikely to get much of a chance to do so at international level. In the appearances Shankland has had for Scotland, it's confirmed what we already know; he is a lethal penalty box striker, but has very limited physical attributes which will stop him from making a mark further up the ladder. 

Hilarious same Lawrence Shankland that is a fitness instructor that is 6.1 tall?Who has his own business in the subject?

We will see in January were he goes since there trying to sell him.

How ever a good move to English championship if he does well he could be like a Ross McCormack earn a move up or get promoted with the right team

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Scott McTominay put in one of the worst performances from any Scotland player, ever, just a few games ago....in that very position. 

I judge players by the performances they put in while wearing a blue shirt, and one misplaced pass aside Considine hasn't put a foot wrong in 3 games. The original poster made a post saying that switching players in defence led to no obvious drop in quality, and I agree with that. 

Can't fault Considine's performances, but, if we're taking 5 centre-backs to the Euros, he is the one that drops out for me.