Slovakia v Scotland - 15/11

TheScarf

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
Seems like we can swap defenders without an obvious dip in quality, but with fwds its dykes or shite. In some respects that's not a bad place to be, given that 12 months ago we were fragile all over the pitch.

Considine on the right of the three was definitely a drop in quality. If McTominay gets injured/suspended then we need a right-footed player in there. I thought John Souttar was going to make that place his own but his calamity v Israel + always being injured has put a bit of a dampener on that.

I'm wondering why you think that having Considine there was 'a drop in quality' ? 

As far as I could see...one wayward pass aside....he didn't do anything wrong. And as someone pointed out, he kept Hamsic quiet. 

It's not his natural position, but it was another consistent performance that definitely shows he's an international footballer.

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm wondering why you think that having Considine there was 'a drop in quality' ?

Because he's an absolute fraction of the player Scott McTominay is in that role, and his lack of technical ability was very obviously apparent. That doesn't mean he played poorly - he was fine - just that he's nowhere near as good as some of the others in his position and never will be.

Edited by craigkillie

As far as I could see...one wayward pass aside....he didn't do anything wrong. And as someone pointed out, he kept Hamsic quiet. 
It's not his natural position, but it was another consistent performance that definitely shows he's an international footballer.
Because he's an absolute fraction of the player Scott McTominay is in that role, and his lack of technical ability was very obviously apparent.
Yip exactly. He was poor at playing out, albeit on his wrong side. He's worse than Tierney (and probably Cooper) at LCB and McTominay at RCB, hence a drop in quality. I didn't even say he was bad bro.

37 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

How McBurnie was given the whole second half is beyond me.

That was a compassionate decision, not a footballing decision. He literally did nothing at all for 45 minutes.

Clarke has received a great deal of credit for how much of a good team spirit he has created and how much the players work for each other. Making "compassionate" decisions like this is a part of that - McBurnie obviously has something about him and could have another 10 years as a Scotland player, therefore it makes sense to try to put the arm around him and give him the opportunity to impact on the game. It's just like making the changes tonight to use the squad, it's all part of the bigger picture.

Disappointing not to get something from the game today. Given the amount of changes to the starting lineup and the lack of Dykes up top, I'm not too worried. Obviously it would have been great to get the win and take it a bit easier going into Wednesday but we might still be sitting here at 10 tonight confirmed top of the group. It's definitely not time to get all pessimistic after that one result, a team that looks closer to full-strength on Wednesday will hopefully do the job.

As for today, I thought McLean had a relatively poor game but was unlucky to have his header saved. Wasn't a fan of Cooper or Palmer, O'Donnell might have been a better option on the right side in terms of attacking. McBurnie's tea is surely oot, we can't keep persisting with him given he's failed to score in every game he's played. Positively salivating at the prospect of Dykes and Griffiths up top for the Israel game. Armstrong had a poor game by his standards too, but I can forgive one bad game. McGinn played too far back to make a difference but wasn't too bad, Christie was good and so was Tierney. Here's hoping for some more luck and goals on Wednesday.

41 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The only people who said they got pished are fans, btw. There's no suggestion from anyone inside the camp that that happened. Do you really think Steve Clarke would have allowed it? He said it broke up fairly early and naturally.

Ryan Christie said on live tv they partied well into the morning  but aye nobody but fans saying it....

9 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

can anyone explain to me if the nations league before world cups gives you a second chance at qualifying like the euros?

i know its probably in here somewhere but i cannot be arsed searching.

The group winners are ranked and the top two group winners who have not qualified for the WC or playoffs from WC qualifying get put in the playoffs.

So if we were the best group B nations league winner we would almost certainly be in the WC playoffs as all Group A winners should finish in the top 2 in their WC qualifying group.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The group winners are ranked and the top two group winners who have not qualified for the WC or playoffs from WC qualify get put in the playoffs.

So if we were the best group B nations league winner we would almost certainly be in the WC playoffs as all Group A winners should finish in the top 2 in their WC qualifying group.

ok cheers. hope for victory in israel on wednesday.

It's bizarre that Scotland fans always have to have at least one scapegoat to pick on; McBurnie the sole victim of it now. He's flip-flapped between poor and average in his Scotland appearances to date, but I think I'm willing to trust Steve Clarke's judgement over the mob mentality which persists when it comes to dropping/not selecting specific players. Unfortunately for McBurnie, that video which went about had folk pretty much immediately on his back and that wiped out any goodwill he'd have had in the bank. It reminds me quite a lot of the Steven Fletcher scenario, back in the day.

Beyond Dykes, he is the only player we currently have capable of being any kind of an effective attacking focal point. Even the next best we have (Kevin Nisbet, IMO) hasn't made it into a squad (though hopefully he continues to progress as he has and gets there soon), while the serially-unfit Griffiths' reputation still seems to revolve around two free kicks and a mental season for Celtic half a decade ago.  We gain absolutely nothing from writing off McBurnie, he is our second best striker right now; if Dykes was out and we ostracised him, who would we start?

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Also, Tierney ahead of Roberson? Wouldn't say no, he absolutely roasted their RB

i just think we are starting to really gel with the back 5 that played on thursday no need to change it. I actually think robertson did very well defensively on thursday but overlooked because of other great performances.

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Always thought a World Cup Qualifying place via League B of the Nations League was a long shot. We would have an excellent chance of at least a playoff for the next Euros if we get promoted to League A, though. The Israel game is vital, fancy us to beat them.

WC qualifying is always going to be a long shot, especially as we are seeded 3 and UEFA only has 13 slots. There are going to be some excellent sides in the playoffs but a good draw and 1 off games at hampden it is a chance to sneak in, maybe even via penalties like we have for the Euros.

edit: actually since there will be at least 1 big team in the playoffs UEFA are probably going to give home advantage to the side higher in FIFA rankings.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost