St Mirren v Aberdeen Sat 5th Dec.

Second visit in a week to Paisley for the Dons who I expect to be pumped up for a revenge game. Really looking forward to see how Saints perform against a determined Aberdeen side. Shaughnessy will return to central back position. Big question is midfield where  Erhahon and Foley plus Flynn could come into midfield.  Foley is captain so he will be in for sure. Erhahon has been a standout this season but the midfield for the cup game deserve to keep their place we also have Flynn ready. Headache choice for Goodwin jeez its years since I have seen such a strong squad if only we had someone prolific up front.  So what's the bottom line for this game ? Think Aberdeen might edge this  Derick will have his players pumped up for this. Still have a bit of confidence in Saints so fingers crossed.  PPV SMTV think its £12.99 per match. I'm a season ticket holder so its paid for . 

28 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Second visit in a week to Paisley for the Dons who I expect to be pumped up for a revenge game. Really looking forward to see how Saints perform against a determined Aberdeen side. Shaughnessy will return to central back position. Big question is midfield where  Erhahon and Foley plus Flynn could come into midfield.  Foley is captain so he will be in for sure. Erhahon has been a standout this season but the midfield for the cup game deserve to keep their place we also have Flynn ready. Headache choice for Goodwin jeez its years since I have seen such a strong squad if only we had someone prolific up front.  So what's the bottom line for this game ? Think Aberdeen might edge this  Derick will have his players pumped up for this. Still have a bit of confidence in Saints so fingers crossed.  PPV SMTV think its £12.99 per match. I'm a season ticket holder so its paid for . 

I'm pretty sure we have Ferguson, McCrorie and McLennan back for this one.

We need them.

We should be a different animal with Ferguson and McCrorie back, and hopefully Hayes looking a bit fitter than he did on Saturday. Watkins and Wright are still a big miss from our attack but hopefully we can win the midfield battle and add some intensity back into our play. That would be a good start.

Are we beating Aberdeen in back-to-back games? No. No we are not. But I fancy nicking a point here. There's no chance we're keeping a clean sheet, so I hope we'll approach the game in the same we did on Saturday. 

That said, there were brief spells on Saturday when Aberdeen still showed what they are about. Like in the game at Pittodrie when they were chasing an equaliser then the winner, they can move the ball around the box and stretch defences very well, IMO.

Entertaining 2-2, I reckon. Obika and Shaugnessy; McGinn and Ferguson.

On Sportsound last night the numpties were all saying Aberdeen had 7 or 8 players out so that is why they got beat in the L Cup.

They did not mention we had 3 first team regulars out. Shaughnessy was suspended at CH and replaced by a midfielder in Foley. Erhahon who scored the great goal at Pittodrie was also suspended and replaced by McPherson who has struggled to get a start this season. And Mason was injured from the near leg break tackle by Holt at Livi last week and was replaced by Durmus who hadn't featured in months due to Covid. The difference was our replacements were far superior to those that the Dons used.

Sure, the additions of Ferguson, McCrorie et al will improve the Dons team however our performance the other night, coupled with our performance up there recently still  points to a Home win for me.

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Apparently we don't have McCrorie back for this. This makes me sad.

That is a blow if true.

No more so than the loss of Wright and Watkins though. Hedges has been excellent the season but really needs these 2 to play with. The link up with Cosgrove just isn’t the same. 

Aye McInnes said so after the game on Saturday.

Ferguson will give yous a bit more bite in midfield. Not expecting us to dominate as much as we did last weekend, if Erhahon is back for us that would be a massive boost.

12 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was about to post that. Don’t know if he is ill or has a longer period to self isolate. Given that he had/has the disease and that normally means a shorter period out, I am assuming that he is not well and wish him a speedy recovery. Taylor will probably come back in so it’ll either be Dean Campbell or Greg Leigh partnering Lewis Ferguson in midfield. McLennan will definitely start so Kennedy might move up to play the Scott Wright role.

On 30/11/2020 at 19:34, FTOF said:

With Erhahon, Mason and Shaugnessy back, hopefully we'll be able to improve on our weakened team's performance on Saturday.

Do you think we will bring Mason back in? I can't see us going 5 at the back again, and I thought Tait and Fraser played well on Saturday. Shaugnessy will defo be back at CB I reckon. Decisions to be made in midfeild. Foley and MacPherson to the bench with Erhahon back in midfeild for me, but will see what Jim does. I would keep the front 4 unchanged from last week.

I think we need to build some consistency in shape and selection and now we are approaching full strength for the first time since August, I hope Jim can decide on his best team and give it a chance for a few weeks.

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I was about to post that. Don’t know if he is ill or has a longer period to self isolate. Given that he had/has the disease and that normally means a shorter period out, I am assuming that he is not well and wish him a speedy recovery. Taylor will probably come back in so it’ll either be Dean Campbell or Greg Leigh partnering Lewis Ferguson in midfield. McLennan will definitely start so Kennedy might move up to play the Scott Wright role.

Possibly. As long as we never see a midfield two of Ojo and Campbell ever again.

Two players that individually could make up one part of a three man midfield occupying both roles of a two is going to give me nightmares.

Until McCrorie is back I'd go 4-2-3-1 personally then we can get back to our sexy samba 3-4-3 after.

53 minutes ago, GAD said:

Do you think we will bring Mason back in? I can't see us going 5 at the back again, and I thought Tait and Fraser played well on Saturday. Shaugnessy will defo be back at CB I reckon. Decisions to be made in midfeild. Foley and MacPherson to the bench with Erhahon back in midfeild for me, but will see what Jim does. I would keep the front 4 unchanged from last week.

I think we need to build some consistency in shape and selection and now we are approaching full strength for the first time since August, I hope Jim can decide on his best team and give it a chance for a few weeks.

If we beat Aberdeen playing with a four, and then in the very next game against the same opposition the tombola spits out a back 3/5, I'll be raging!

I agree with everything you've said, though. Shaugnessy in, Erhahon in, Cammy and Foley out, the rest the same.

Goody has previously stated that Ilkay is good at going forward but not so great defensively. If we play a back four I can see Ilkay starting. If a back three or away from home where we are sitting in then I can see Mason starting. Reckon we will start with Ilkay this weekend. And I wouldn't automatically start Shaughnessy. Reckon he needs a wee lesson that if he keeps getting sent off then he jeopardises his place in the team, and Foley was excellent there anyway. Can see Ethan coming straight back in though.

43 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Goody has previously stated that Ilkay is good at going forward but not so great defensively. If we play a back four I can see Ilkay starting. If a back three or away from home where we are sitting in then I can see Mason starting. Reckon we will start with Ilkay this weekend. And I wouldn't automatically start Shaughnessy. Reckon he needs a wee lesson that if he keeps getting sent off then he jeopardises his place in the team, and Foley was excellent there anyway. Can see Ethan coming straight back in though.

Fair. Was on the fence about the CH thing. In all honesty, I'd say we have to call Foley a defender first now. There are three better options than him in the middle of the park.

Fair. Was on the fence about the CH thing. In all honesty, I'd say we have to call Foley a defender first now. There are three better options than him in the middle of the park.
Playing devils advocate here, does Shaughnessy come straight back into the team for Foley? Has Shaughnessy's performances overall warranted him to be first choice?