St Mirren v Aberdeen Sat 5th Dec.

On 30/11/2020 at 15:52, Coventry Saint said:

That said, there were brief spells on Saturday when Aberdeen still showed what they are about. Like in the game at Pittodrie when they were chasing an equaliser then the winner, they can move the ball around the box and stretch defences very well, IMO.

normally for the last 10 mins only, of late.........

Only just learned from reading this thread that McCrorie isn't back for this, which is annoying. I think we can only really afford to play the 3-4-3 with both him and Ferguson available, as they are the only two midfielders we have who are properly capable of engaging in battles further up the park and willing to cover the ground needed to make that system work.

I think our best bet for this would be either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, with one of Ojo or Campbell as the #6, Ferguson as the #8, and then one from Kennedy, McLennan and Hedges as the #10. One of our biggest issues last Saturday was that both Ojo and Campbell essentially wanted to sit on top of the defence, which is an especially big problem if you are already playing with three centre-backs, like we were in the first half. 

If it is four at the back, there is then the additional question about who plays in the full-back positions. If Hoban plays at right-back, like he did in the second half at the weekend, we are sacrificing our best centre-back. But then he is still a better option there than Logan and, although we have seen very little of him, we have to assume Hernandez too. It's then either Leigh or Hayes at left-back. 

15 hours ago, betting competition said:

I'm sure in McInnes press conference today he is back for the game.

I had a quick listen.

He was asked about having players back and he spoke only about Ferguson.

Later on though he was asked about Mclennan, Ferguson and McCrorie being back and he didn't correct them, although he said they were at 'different stages'. He definitely said post match last weekend that McCrorie would be out a bit longer.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We had a shite week in the run up to last Saturday so it's our turn for a confidence boost. Join the queue.

I've got a feeling you're going to have to wait another week till your game against Ross County. Sorry. 

Tough decision for Goodwin to be made in centre half. Foley has played well over the past 2 weeks and it would be incredibly harsh to drop him but in saying that we have a natural centre half back. Shaughnessy & Erhahon in for MacPherson & Foley apart from that same team as last week and similar performance I would hope. We’ve got a tough run through December but I think we can pick up a decent amount of points beginning tomorrow.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Tough decision for Goodwin to be made in centre half. Foley has played well over the past 2 weeks and it would be incredibly harsh to drop him but in saying that we have a natural centre half back. Shaughnessy & Erhahon in for MacPherson & Foley apart from that same team as last week and similar performance I would hope. We’ve got a tough run through December but I think we can pick up a decent amount of points beginning tomorrow.

Yeah, Foley has been better at centre half than in midfield this season. Doesn't seem to have the legs for the middle of the park anymore, and Erhahon is far more dynamic. 

Not too confident of a win here.

Both teams getting a few players back, but if McCrorie isn’t one of them, then that still leaves us significantly under strength given McGeouch, Wright and Watkins still missing too.

Hayes was risked last week and it showed - hopefully no ill effects and he’s more up to speed this week.
Campbell did well for an hour at Hamilton, but was poor last Saturday - but it was only his second game of the season, very soon after the first one. He probably deserves to start ahead of Ojo, who is just going through the motions as he knows he is way down the pecking order.

Need more from Kennedy.

St Mirren have been very good in both fixtures - including against a full strength and confident AFC side in the Pittodrie game - if we can get a win here, it would be a great result.