Ayr vs Raith Rovers

As a few of you are slating the boy Armstrong I’ll swap you for the very frustrating Zanatta no problem, one of quite a few good young players Raith have as they get experience Raith will be fine and can only get stronger.

The same Zanatta who was probably our best player when he came off the bench besides one lapse in concentration on the halfway line.

He did enough to get a starting spot against Arbroath.

1 minute ago, Lochwood said:

As a few of you are slating the boy Armstrong I’ll swap you for the very frustrating Zanatta no problem, one of quite a few good young players Raith have as they get experience Raith will be fine and can only get stronger.

Armstrong is a good player. Excellent movement tonight and good mobility. Some games his crossing and dead balls are really good. Tonight it really wasn't there, and we didn't ask any questions of Ayr at corners or free kicks.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The same Zanatta who was probably our best player when he came off the bench besides one lapse in concentration on the halfway line.

I love the way Zanatta effortlessly glides by players at times. Hopefully he’ll come in and do well next week, although with Smith back it’s a tough team selection. 

I love the way Zanatta effortlessly glides by players at times. Hopefully he’ll come in and do well next week, although with Smith back it’s a tough team selection. 

I’d leave McCowan out and bring Smith back in. Play Moffat wide on the right and Smith in behind Anderson.

Bit confused tbh that half our supporters seem to think we were terrible tonight [emoji23].

Also read someone saying Moffat was terrible??? He had our two best chances and commentators were quite rightly raving him. McCowan had one of his anonymous games and Zanatta did more than enough to take his place next week. However Zanatta reminds me of McDaid as someone who plays his best coming off the bench.

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

That lapse in concentration was criminal. Still doesn't start if Moff, McCowan and Smith are all fit and available for me.

ETA - Those clamouring to drop McCowan. Even though he had a bad game he still created a clear cut chance for Moffat. He's also been our most effective player this season.

Edited by Trogdor

I can't see how any Rovers fan can be anything other than happy with that result and our start in general. 

Ayr have been in the top 4 the last two seasons and we gave every bit as good as we got. 

The final ball, particularly from set pieces, just wasn't there from both Ross and Armstrong. It was just one of those nights though because we've looked a much bigger threat from set pieces this season. Especially since Frankie got in the side. 

Thought our much maligned defence looked pretty solid tonight and Sinisalo had a fairly easy time of it. Roscoe looked pretty solid and I thought we handled Duku well.

Going forward, though, we're really not gelling yet. Partly, I think we need Houston back on the right, as with him and Muirhead neither full back really gets forward to add width.

Also the front four haven't built up an understanding. McCowan didn't have his best game tonight, but I'd also maybe swap Moffat and Anderson around. We've seen before how central defenders find Moffat's movement difficult, and Anderson might find a bit more space. He looks like he needs a goal to me.

Strange game tonight , good draw bad draw ? Time will tell . One thing we found out is that Raith can play , they are way past the promotion lift .  On us Moffat could have had a hat trick and Cameron should have done much better . McCowan had a shocker and Dario must take his shirt . Defence went well despite having players out of position all over the place . God we need a goal scorer , the cry of 90% of football fans ... 

Loved looking at the old stadium ! When oh when will the Waffen SS let us back in ...... 

31 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Armstrong on form is a superb player, but he hit the first man from just about every cross and delivery he put in. Just well off the boil today and the end product nowhere to be seen. 

Similarly there is a player on Zanatta as well. He has games where he is well out of it, bit he does have something to offer. Thought he looked dangerous when we came on and he quite possibly saved a point when he hauled down Armstrong just outside the box, who then proceeded to hit a woeful free kick into the stand. 

Edited by Michael W

23 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Thought our much maligned defence looked pretty solid tonight and Sinisalo had a fairly easy time of it. Roscoe looked pretty solid and I thought we handled Duku well.

Going forward, though, we're really not gelling yet. Partly, I think we need Houston back on the right, as with him and Muirhead neither full back really gets forward to add width.

Also the front four haven't built up an understanding. McCowan didn't have his best game tonight, but I'd also maybe swap Moffat and Anderson around. We've seen before how central defenders find Moffat's movement difficult, and Anderson might find a bit more space. He looks like he needs a goal to me.

I thought Muirhead was pretty good there tonight, had a few charging runs into the box and probably should have scored one instead of looking for the pass. Didn't look weak at all.

Bit confused tbh that half our supporters seem to think we were terrible tonight [emoji23].

Also read someone saying Moffat was terrible??? He had our two best chances and commentators were quite rightly raving him. McCowan had one of his anonymous games and Zanatta did more than enough to take his place next week. However Zanatta reminds me of McDaid as someone who plays his best coming off the bench.
I certainly wasn't criticising his performance - he was his usual composed self.

But his finishing is so frustrating these days.

3 hours ago, grumswall said:
3 hours ago, TxRover said:
Matthews getting too many yellows so far...not good. Terrible surface, acceptable result, and now a shitty drive home without a shower.

Where are that you need a shower before you drive home?

Well, when you point two aircraft at each other with a closing rate of about 1000 mph, and then one of them decides he can’t hear instructions, it gets a little sweaty, and you can accidentally “swallow” a seat cushion...

Edited by TxRover