Alloa v Raith

Agree, every time he didn’t hoof or header it 30 yards the commentators said he was shaky. Every other defender makes an error, no comment.
Great management to take Tait off when he was a foul or two away from a second yellow, thought the same of Flanagan but he was allowed to foul away all game.
3 points and on we go 
His ability in the air is one of his best traits. Its his passing and general play that is sadly lacking and he does come in for more scrutiny due to the start he had last season and the fact he hasn't actually had a run in the team. He's a good guy and I would like to see him succeed, I just don't think he is good enough to be a regular starter for us though.

37 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:
Agree, every time he didn’t hoof or header it 30 yards the commentators said he was shaky. Every other defender makes an error, no comment.
Great management to take Tait off when he was a foul or two away from a second yellow, thought the same of Flanagan but he was allowed to foul away all game.
3 points and on we go 

His ability in the air is one of his best traits. Its his passing and general play that is sadly lacking and he does come in for more scrutiny due to the start he had last season and the fact he hasn't actually had a run in the team. He's a good guy and I would like to see him succeed, I just don't think he is good enough to be a regular starter for us though.

I think it depends om how the opposition play. He's not so hot against teams who play though us but I like him against teams who play long ball ditect style.

Due to the stream dropping out I missed the Alloa opener and my view of 5he penalty was inconclusive.

Unless we stumble on funds in January I can’t see us strengthening the back line this season, not ideal but all things said I’ll settle for that.  
Like most Rovers fans I like Nando and wish he could be the player we all hoped he could be, unfortunately every time he plays we suffer those heart in mouth events that although aren’t costly every time do bite us in the arse sometimes. I don’t think more time will help tbh, he’s as good as he is ever going to be.

Nando will likely see the season out with us but I doubt we will still have him next season. John McGlynn is establishing a proven track record in recruiting better players season on season. If Musonda is still with us next term I’d expect to see another CB recruited who will challenge McKay and will be an improvement on Nando, Davo and even Bene.

Back to today’s game, horrid conditions but some superb passages of play from Rovers at times and that fith goal was a thing of real beauty.

Due to the stream dropping out I missed the Alloa opener and my view of 5he penalty was inconclusive.
Unless we stumble on funds in January I can’t see us strengthening the back line this season, not ideal but all things said I’ll settle for that.  
Like most Rovers fans I like Nando and wish he could be the player we all hoped he could be, unfortunately every time he plays we suffer those heart in mouth events that although aren’t costly every time do bite us in the arse sometimes. I don’t think more time will help tbh, he’s as good as he is ever going to be.
Nando will likely see the season out with us but I doubt we will still have him next season. John McGlynn is establishing a proven track record in recruiting better players season on season. If Musonda is still with us next term I’d expect to see another CB recruited who will challenge McKay and will be an improvement on Nando, Davo and even Bene.
Back to today’s game, horrid conditions but some superb passages of play from Rovers at times and that fith goal was a thing of real beauty.

Fkn hate myself but I agree with all this.......

7 hours ago, grumswall said:

Mendy really isn't very good.

Not sure what he did to have this said about him.. thought he was decent, a couple of wayward headers but can maybe attribute them to a ridiculous wind and conceded a pen which was never a pen. No complaints from me about his performance today

2 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

Not sure what he did to have this said about him.. thought he was decent, a couple of wayward headers but can maybe attribute them to a ridiculous wind and conceded a pen which was never a pen. No complaints from me about his performance today

Mendy appeared composed in the first half which would have given him confidence.

The penalty? Could have been a pre-meditated manoeuvre if I had to be harsh, certainly not a blooter.

13 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Mendy appeared composed in the first half which would have given him confidence.

The penalty? Could have been a pre-meditated manoeuvre if I had to be harsh, certainly not a blooter.

Yeah, of the opinion he didn’t do much wrong, particularly to get pelters.

buchanan did it a few times during the game, backed into a defender and fell down, did the same for the pen and mendy just stood his ground which he should be doing. If the referee gave every one of them a foul there would be a hell of a lot of penalties. 

42 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

Yeah, of the opinion he didn’t do much wrong, particularly to get pelters.

buchanan did it a few times during the game, backed into a defender and fell down, did the same for the pen and mendy just stood his ground which he should be doing. If the referee gave every one of them a foul there would be a hell of a lot of penalties. 

But he didn't just stand his ground, he misjudged the flight of the ball, jumped to go for a header which he was never going to get and Buchanan went down from it.  You could say it's harsh but we'd have been claiming it if it happened at the other end.  

He was fine first half but he really struggled with the wind in the second half.  The handball one, the header to the Alloa boy in the box and the penalty were all from him misjudging the flight of the ball.  On the plus side he shouldn't be having to deal with conditions as bad as that too often.   

2 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

jumped to go for a header which he was never going to get and Buchanan went down from it.

If Mendy had jumped he would have been clearly twice the height of the midget Buchanan, all Liam had to do was to pretend to be cuffed then it was fait accompli.

Not sure what you boys are seeing when you say you don’t think that’s a penalty? Mendy clearly barges the back of Buchanan, penalty all day long. The handball one is not a penalty, however. Referee got both correct imo.

Conditions looked even worse than reported. That is the exact game we’d have meekly lost in the past so delighted so get out of there with the 3 points. The 5th from Ethan Ross is a goal of the season contender, runs from inside his own half in the final minute, beats 3 men and hits the net. Only thing that lets it down aesthetically is that the goalie gets something on it but doesn’t keep it out.

Edited to add: What is it with teams not marking Manny Duku at set pieces? You’d think our 6ft+ number 9 top goal scorer who’s received national acclaim for his performances since joining would merit someone being within a few yards of him at a cross ball.

10 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I was absolutely convinced we’d contrive to throw it away once it went 1-2 so it’s nice to see us grind the result out at a venue which we do not seem to do particularly well at. First game this season I haven’t watched and have to say I’ve really not missed being updated by my pals who are watching/there - much worse than watching the action. If we can beat Queens on Tuesday it’ll have been an excellent first third.  

To be honest, since the only team we've missed is Hearts, we can effectively assume we copped 15 points in the first third, and anything we get from the first Hearts match is a bonus. I’d have snapped your hand off for 15 points after 1/3 of the season, as it’s likely halfway to safety. I’ll also say that we very well should have had more points after the collapses in a couple of recent games.

I expect we’ll see Ugwu or Loko starting Tuesday, along with Robbie and Mendy...let’s see if we can start what is really the second third with a win! Rest Duku and JMac, maybe let Smith see some time for Tait or Ross at about the 60 minute mark.

6 hours ago, Scottydog said:

1) Mendy will be re-signed next year unless we get promoted.

2) Frankie is, unfortunately, as good as gone already...I’d just love for him to sign an extension now!

3) We will need a replacement for Davo, and likely Bene (as far as an every game starter), next year (see above). McKay is a prime candidate for one of those.

4) Luckily Tumilty and KMac are signed through 2022...as is Bene, but I suspect he will be our utility CB and reserve (see above).

Edited by TxRover

Yeah it's clear the management don't have a huge amount of faith in him yet given that we changed our formation to accommodate him yesterday. 

He did alright but his errors in the second half have been highlighted elsewhere. 

The thought of him starting against the Pars is more than a little worrying. 

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Edited to add: What is it with teams not marking Manny Duku at set pieces? You’d think our 6ft+ number 9 top goal scorer who’s received national acclaim for his performances since joining would merit someone being within a few yards of him at a cross ball.

You need to look at Duku’s movement for the goal.

he initially goes to the front post then turns back quickly loses his marker and is loads of space, great movement and awareness 

A real underrated moment yesterday was someone from the Alloa bench screaming at Raith to hurry up and take centre at 3-2, and within 20 seconds we’d scored again. Lovely.

Thought we were pretty clinical yesterday, don’t remember us wasting many opportunities, and while part of that was down to bad defending and poor goalkeeping, it’s also through us having some really impressive forwards.

I just really enjoy watching this team, and without wanting to wander into some fairly wild hyperbole, I do think it’s the best Raith team to watch since the 90’s.

Antonio Calderon’s team were pleasing on the eye, but unless I’m misremembering, a lot of their possession was in more passive areas of the park, whereas this team constantly wants to go forward.

The fifth goal was wonderful, but the second is a great example of what we do well, with it starting from Jamie MacDonald and within a few seconds it’s worked to Armstrong and in the back of the net. A smashing counter attack.

It’s a pity it’s Hearts rather than a more traditional second tier team that’s down here at the moment, as it makes finishing top four even harder, and while I’m not even sure we’ll end up in the playoffs, I think there’s a fag paper between a few teams in the league, it’s also not *that* far fetched to aim for promotion. You’d certainly imagine 15 points per third would see us end up top four, and then hopefully the crowds are allowed back in to see us gubbing John Hughes’ Ross County. Unless he can make them more “streetwise” and they get better at “fundamentals” before then of course.

As for the stream, definitely the poorest I’ve watched so far, not for buffering, which didn’t happen at all for me, but for the sound being slightly ahead of the action.

I ended up muting it, which makes the experience of watching the game in the house even worse as you want to hear the sounds of the game, so that was disappointing.

The commentators were really good, but them being there is a bit of a pest if they’re describing everything before you’ve seen it.

That aside, a thoroughly satisfying afternoon.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

1) Mendy will be re-signed next year unless we get promoted.

2) Frankie is, unfortunately, as good as gone already...I’d just love for him to sign an extension now!

3) We will need a replacement for Davo, and likely Bene (as far as an every game starter), next year (see above). McKay is a prime candidate for one of those.

4) Luckily Tumilty and KMac are signed through 2022...as is Bene, but I suspect he will be our utility CB and reserve (see above).

Mendy will not be re signed. He’ll more likely stay in Scotland with Kelty Hearts. That’s his level.