People with interesting careers outside of football

45 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Airdrie legend Evan Balfour was a fireman, and also sings in bands - a top lad.

There was a Scotland Fire Brigade team. Balfour used to play in it with Meadowbank's Jim McQueen and Cove Rangers' Mike Megginson.

Steve Godden who played with Edinburgh University and Edinburgh City became an STV news reporter.

Some historical ones: RL Small played as a goalie for St Bernards became a Minister and was Moderator of the General Assembly one year. High Court Judge Lord Wheatley played for Shettleston in his youth. Edinburgh City goalkeeper in the late 30s Desmond White later became chairman of Celtic. IIRC John Clark of Dundee United worked on a fishing boat.

Former Dunbar United player Calum Easter is an up and coming DJ and singer. 

3 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Rory McKenzie at Killie is in his final year of qualifying as a lawyer.....

In a desperate attempt to keep Killie up this year? Should’ve been on loan at Hearts last season for some work experience 

1 minute ago, RussellAnderson said:

Derek Stillie decided that after his playing career ended,  not enough people hated his fucking guts. 

that’s why he’s now a Tory c**t

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18016605.ex-goalkeeper-derek-stillie-named-tory-candidate-central-ayrshire/

Aye this left a bad taste in my mouth, I was doing the PA at Somerset the week before the election and got asked how I thought he'd get on, I gave my blunt assesment and he's standing on the steps and we had the door open :lol:

Was hoping Kerso would get his own goalie coach in tbh. 

20 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Derek Stillie decided that after his playing career ended,  not enough people hated his fucking guts. 

that’s why he’s now a Tory c**t

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18016605.ex-goalkeeper-derek-stillie-named-tory-candidate-central-ayrshire/

16 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Aye this left a bad taste in my mouth, I was doing the PA at Somerset the week before the election and got asked how I thought he'd get on, I gave my blunt assesment and he's standing on the steps and we had the door open :lol:

Was hoping Kerso would get his own goalie coach in tbh. 

What a c**t this guy sounds.

"After retiring as a footballer, Stillie became a lawyer. He acted in defence of the footballers David Goodwillie and David Robertson, who were accused of rape.[8][9] This legal case made history as the first time a rape complainant had successfully sued the accused for civil damages.[10] As part of the defence of Goodwillie, Stillie as his solicitor lodged court proceedings to seek to revoke legal aid support from the accuser.[11]

In November 2019, Stillie announced that he would be contesting the general election as the Conservative candidate for the Central Ayrshire constituency.[12] Stillie finished in second place as the incumbent MP, Philippa Whitford, was re-elected.[13]"

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Paul Sheerin used to deliver flowers when managing Arbroath, used to him around Perth in a wee van.

Used to see him on occasion in the Broxden cafe, having top level signing talks with prospective signings.

An ex Arbroath player I know cannot speak highly enough of him as a manager - the less said about Moore the better though.

4 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

At a party once, discussing fitba heroes. Man Utd, Rangers, Celtic fans discussing players like Giggs, Laudrup, Larsson. I mentioned mine is Paul Wright. 

One guy burst out laughing... "He taught me to drive!"

Mark Reid, ex Celtic & Charlton, also became a Driving Instructor.