Chess

Any good folk of P&B into chess at all?

I've slowly got into it in fits and starts over the last five years. I'm at the point where I'm beating Stockfish level 4 about half the time when I actually concentrate properly. That's supposed to be Elo 1700, but I imagine an equivalent FIDE rating would be a good few hundred points below that.

As an all round sports fan I maybe enjoy following it at the top level more than I do playing though. Coronavirus, Magnus Carlsen and Hikaru Nakamura have combined to really give chess a new lease of life. The online tournaments have combated virus issues in a way in which other sports would love to copy, Magnus has used his leadership and business nous to re-imagine the way tournaments are organised, and Nakamura has lead the way in popularising the sport online with his constant streaming of games. There are very few fields where an amateur can make a modest donation to charity and face one of the best in the world. Chess has been using its ability to be played online very well in order to revitalise itself.

Dubov seems to be the man of the moment with his attempts to make every game as interesting as possible. I'm paraphrasing but "Why should I play for the draw against Magnus? I have an opportunity to have an interesting game against the best in the world, it doesn't matter if I win or lose." He ended up knocking out Carlsen but then lost four straight to the much weaker Radjabov. 

(Yes, yes, [insert Simpsons "Nerds!" image], chess isn't a sport, et cetera...)

I've played on and off for a few years but as I don't know anyone in real life who's interested so I'm stuck playing online and/or against the computer. I find chess.com has a lot of great information including lessons pitched at different levels. The paid version has a lot more but I haven't explored that. My biggest problem is lack of patience and I tend to make moves without really studying the implications and I make a lot of mistakes through simple carelessness.

And @throbber; I've never heard of that rule and don't see how it would work in practice. If he no longer has a king on the board, how could he possibly lose? He's yanking your chain.

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I've played on and off for a few years but as I don't know anyone in real life who's interested so I'm stuck playing online and/or against the computer. I find chess.com has a lot of great information including lessons pitched at different levels. The paid version has a lot more but I haven't explored that. My biggest problem is lack of patience and I tend to make moves without really studying the implications and I make a lot of mistakes through simple carelessness.

And @throbber; I've never heard of that rule and don't see how it would work in practice. If he no longer has a king on the board, how could he possibly lose? He's yanking your chain.

Castling is a valid move but can only be done as long as neither the king nor rook have moved and as @throbber's dad admitted not legal when the King is in check.

And [mention=40259]throbber[/mention]; I've never heard of that rule and don't see how it would work in practice. If he no longer has a king on the board, how could he possibly lose? He's yanking your chain.
I think throbber's father was talking about castling which indeed you cannot do while in check.

I'm in a similar position to you Shotgun and it's one of the reasons I like playing chess, it trains me to focus on one thing at a time and to think things through which is becoming a more useful skill in these days of constant distractions and instant gratification.
When I play the computer it's hard for me to care enough to properly concentrate, but when there's someone on the other side of the board I put way more effort in.

Castling is a valid move but can only be done as long as neither the king nor rook have moved and as [mention=40259]throbber[/mention]'s dad admitted not legal when the King is in check.
You also can't castle if one of the squares the king would move through is under attack, as in the example below where the bishop on a3 is attacking the f8 square. Screenshot_20210102_151627.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I used to play for the school team at both primary and secondary level until I lost my virginity then life just become less about concentrating and more about sliding into the fanny. 

^^^expert at bashing the bishop.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

I love a bit of chess. I've played online a few times but I've had folk openly tell me that they just have a separate chess app next to them and mirror my moves with the computer set to hard. Which is pretty shit.

Admittedly I am a Chess newbie but I’m at a loss as to how I have not put my opponent in checkmate

His King has nowhere to go yet he still appears to have another move to make.....

I’ve just moved my Pawn from F2 to F4

83F095BD-2211-4320-89F8-3945375D62DE.jpeg

Edited by Frank Grimes

Admittedly I am a Chess newbie but I’m at a loss as to how I have not put my opponent in checkmate
His King has nowhere to go yet he still appears to have another move to make.....

83F095BD-2211-4320-89F8-3945375D62DE.thumb.jpeg.76d1b1fc1a2b417b7da7eb6f43bfeb3b.jpeg
The e4 pawn can capture the f4 pawn en passant.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
13 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

83F095BD-2211-4320-89F8-3945375D62DE.thumb.jpeg.76d1b1fc1a2b417b7da7eb6f43bfeb3b.jpeg

The e4 pawn can capture the f4 pawn en passant.

Thank you 

Wasn’t even aware that was a rule