Folk should stop using the term 'Fake news'

It should never have been normalised. It's now used as both a propaganda tool to try to discredit/deligitimise things that people don't like, or more accurately don't agree with, and as a catch all term for outright lies, making the lies seem more palatable or at least the act of lying seem not as bad.

Worse, it gives undeserved legitimacy to the scum who created it.

Folk may disagree but language is important, and this sort of nonsense is harmful to the credibility of so many people and sources, although it is handy in being a further way to identify horrible people.

I find the term has been misused.
If it was used as a term for the fluff pieces like James corden spotted buying sports socks and no one slapped his puss type stories, then yes that would be an acceptable term.

Instead we are just bombarded with monosyllabic half wits deeming pieces they don't like or shows something they like in a negative light as 'fake news'

I agree with most of what you've posted but I don't think it does legitimise Trump, who I think you mean by "the scum". Used by him it's a sign of him losing the argument, the inability to debate, but ultimately a bullying tactic of someone with power who can close down questions he doesn't like. Nobody should allow it to be the final words of any discussion. Maybe it should be called Trumpian Fake News. Or, pile o' pish.

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I agree with most of what you've posted but I don't think it does legitimise Trump, who I think you mean by "the scum". Used by him it's a sign of him losing the argument, the inability to debate, but ultimately a bullying tactic of someone with power who can close down questions he doesn't like. Nobody should allow it to be the final words of any discussion. Maybe it should be called Trumpian Fake News. Or, pile o' pish.

Yes, I do indeed mean him by 'the scum'.

I think you've made the point about who uses it far better than my attempt, and I completely agree.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

It should never have been normalised. It's now used as both a propaganda tool to try to discredit/deligitimise things that people don't like, or more accurately don't agree with, and as a catch all term for outright lies, making the lies seem more palatable or at least the act of lying seem not as bad.

Worse, it gives undeserved legitimacy to the scum who created it.

Folk may disagree but language is important, and this sort of nonsense is harmful to the credibility of so many people and sources, although it is handy in being a further way to identify horrible people.

The problem isn’t really with the term itself, it has a proper meaning that refers directly to news that is created to be false.

The problem is with its misuse as you describe. Any term that is used that way, to shut down other people and things they don’t like, would become the same - take on that meaning and have the same effect. It’s about the actions of Trump and the like, not really the words themselves.

3 hours ago, weirdcal said:

I find the term has been misused.

One of the features of today's world is the way bits of language get some attention and then quickly get massively overused and ultimately become redundant as a result.

12 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Another thread with DAB calling everyone else scum.   

You must find it terribly unfair that he's still on his first account and you're probably already banned yet again.