P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Not sure I enjoyed the 960. Hadn't a clue what to look out for compared to normal chess and was struggling until [mention=41834]DiegoDiego[/mention] 's Queen committed suicide for no apparent reason.
After that he seemed to lose the plot a bit.

Screenshot_20210214-134248_Chess.thumb.jpg.b29a28c5722c896a70dbc01039348289.jpg
Aye, the first few moves were pretty chaotic. Your bishop had me in a rook-queen-king skewer on move ten or something which would be absurd in standard chess. I was in a tough battle with Leicesterlichtie in the league at the same time. I saw your knight attack my queen, half planned a move, spent twenty minutes on the other game, switched back, completely forgot my Queen was under attack and went after one of your pawns.

All in all, not my finest moment but you played very solidly to finish me off. Best of luck in the next round.

Edit: greatest player of all time Magnus Carlsen just made a terrible move in the Opera Rapid final so I'm feeling a bit better now!

5 minutes ago, the aggressive beggar said:

sav1876 puts up the white flag against Beef2711.  Well played mate enjoyed that once it got going, even though I was getting humped.

Yeah it was a good game m8. A nice bit of defence to stop the early mate and steal my queen. Had to try and squeeze you positionally after that.

16 hours ago, GordonS said:

Have to say, I''m not enjoying the daily chess format at all. I don't like thinking about the game between moves, especially during the working week and I keep having to refresh my memory about why pieces are where they are each time I go back to the board. In my cup tie I forgot I'd put something on a spot to cover something else and forgot it needed shifted if a reveal became possible, which undid me (though my strategic position at the end of the opening would have done for me anyway). I'll play out my league fixtures but after that I'll only be looking for timed matches.

I agree with this but there isn’t really a more inclusive way of playing a league.  It’s certainly difficult keeping concentration.  I could have finished my latest game twenty moves earlier, but a lapse caused that.

it’s the same for everyone, and for anyone new to the game I guess they are getting to take advantages of mistakes and getting the time to see their own mistakes to improve their game.

The daily format allows you just to make your moves when you get a spare ten minute window, so it certainly has advantages as well as the negatives.

22 minutes ago, Loki said:

I agree with this but there isn’t really a more inclusive way of playing a league.  It’s certainly difficult keeping concentration.  I could have finished my latest game twenty moves earlier, but a lapse caused that.

it’s the same for everyone, and for anyone new to the game I guess they are getting to take advantages of mistakes and getting the time to see their own mistakes to improve their game.

The daily format allows you just to make your moves when you get a spare ten minute window, so it certainly has advantages as well as the negatives.

I'm not enjoying this as much as I do my 10 minute games, but I've noticed that my accuracy is 100x better. I'm about 60-70% accurate (According to chess.com) on most games, but the daily has seen my average shoot up to the mid 80s.

I know that's purely down to a time thing, but loving the format and think I'm in a minority of saying I'm playing better rather than daftly fucking up.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not enjoying this as much as I do my 10 minute games, but I've noticed that my accuracy is 100x better. I'm about 60-70% accurate (According to chess.com) on most games, but the daily has seen my average shoot up to the mid 80s.

I know that's purely down to a time thing, but loving the format and think I'm in a minority of saying I'm playing better rather than daftly fucking up.

I have never used an online chess app before so how do you check your accuracy?  And what’s the percentage based on?

Just now, Loki said:

I have never used an online chess app before so how do you check your accuracy?  And what’s the percentage based on?

You need to 'Analyse' your games. You can only do it with a set amount of games each day otherwise you need to buy a subscription, but if you're on the main menu of the app with the big green bar that says, 'New Game' on it then scroll down a little and you'll be able to analyse old games.

Percentage is based on a super computer predicting the 'perfect' move and has a range from good to what the f**k you doing m8?!

Really handy feature to mull over old games and try and learn what you did well and where you went wrong.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Aye, the first few moves were pretty chaotic. Your bishop had me in a rook-queen-king skewer on move ten or something which would be absurd in standard chess. I was in a tough battle with Leicesterlichtie in the league at the same time. I saw your knight attack my queen, half planned a move, spent twenty minutes on the other game, switched back, completely forgot my Queen was under attack and went after one of your pawns.

All in all, not my finest moment but you played very solidly to finish me off. Best of luck in the next round.

Edit: greatest player of all time Magnus Carlsen just made a terrible move in the Opera Rapid final so I'm feeling a bit better now!

A pity you never made errors against me. 😅

Rather the other way round.

Edited by Leicesterlichtie

Division B Round 6

Elrohana 1-0 GordonEF

After 5 wins on the trot, this trip to the league leaders proved a step too far for the lads. I made a mistake at the beginning of the middle game by trying to pin the Knight to the Queen. Realised about 5 seconds after I made the move that @DeeTillEhDeh would definitely take getting his Queen out for a pair of doubled pawns but I was too stubborn to retreat so played it out. I was always on the backfoot after that. Played a few rogue knight moves to try and shake out a mis-step or two but he was having none of it.

I don't want the format changed even tho I agree with where GordonS is coming from. It's not possible to get something that suits everyone and I'd rather go for convenience over anything else. The site also failing to tell me for 16 hours that I had a move to make is another reason I'm glad there's a full day to make a move!

Division B Round 6
Elrohana 1-0 GordonEF
After 5 wins on the trot, this trip to the league leaders proved a step too far for the lads. I made a mistake at the beginning of the middle game by trying to pin the Knight to the Queen. Realised about 5 seconds after I made the move that [mention=22650]DeeTillEhDeh[/mention] would definitely take getting his Queen out for a pair of doubled pawns but I was too stubborn to retreat so played it out. I was always on the backfoot after that. Played a few rogue knight moves to try and shake out a mis-step or two but he was having none of it.

Attacking then swapping your white Bishop for my second Knight did for you before that.

So long as I swapped off I was likely to win a bishops vs knights endgame.

When you attacked with the Queen it was like Christmas getting both Queens off the board.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I don't want the format changed even tho I agree with where GordonS is coming from. It's not possible to get something that suits everyone and I'd rather go for convenience over anything else. The site also failing to tell me for 16 hours that I had a move to make is another reason I'm glad there's a full day to make a move!

Aye. I think this is the only realistic way to do it. Moving to one game a week's an option I suppose but it would obviously slow the league down a lot.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Aye. I think this is the only realistic way to do it. Moving to one game a week's an option I suppose but it would obviously slow the league down a lot.

Nah FWIW I think the format is a good one, likely the best we've got. There's never going to be a perfect solution and this at least keeps the action moving. 

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Attacking then swapping your white Bishop for my second Knight did for you before that.

So long as I swapped off I was likely to win a bishops vs knights endgame.

When you attacked with the Queen it was like Christmas getting both Queens off the board.

I wasn't too bothered about exchanging Queens at the time. I know it's generally good to exchange when you're up but I was just a bit worried that your Queen would wreak havoc once it was out and mine wasn't so I was happy to exchange. But aye, having the king be the only diagonal moving piece on the board after 17 moves is probably asking for trouble.😂

Got a bit to go before I see things in that depth tbh. I know I was ranked ahead of you before the game but I suspect you're quite significantly under-rated on the ELO score.

I wasn't too bothered about exchanging Queens at the time. I know it's generally good to exchange when you're up but I was just a bit worried that your Queen would wreak havoc once it was out and mine wasn't so I was happy to exchange. But aye, having the king be the only diagonal moving piece on the board after 17 moves is probably asking for trouble.[emoji23]
Got a bit to go before I see things in that depth tbh. I know I was ranked ahead of you before the game but I suspect you're quite significantly under-rated on the ELO score.
On Blitz I'm rated nearly 1400 and that's not playing much.

34 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Percentage is based on a super computer predicting the 'perfect' move and has a range from good to what the f**k you doing m8?!

Really handy feature to mull over old games and try and learn what you did well and where you went wrong.

It is, although the accuracy calculation can be an easy thing to get too hung up on. It's possible to beat higher rated players on around 70% and lose to lower rated players with around 92% (have done both). They are a good guide to 'optimum games' though like you say, and might point out common positional flaws. If you're an inconsistent intermediate player like I'd bracket myself  in, they can fluctuate wildly. Anyone consistently chalking over 93-95% will be a nightmare to beat as they are probably making the same moves that at least an 1800-2000 rated (possibly higher) computer would make against yo., I've stalemated the 1500 setting twice but been buggered by everything higher!.....