P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Nelson the 1300 bot is mental. He's all attack and brings his Queen out at the first opportunity, which I'm sure is meat and drink to more experienced players but he still manages to cause me problems. Makes for fucking brilliant games though.

Just beat Nelson for the first time. Both Kings trapped in opposite corner. Just managed to keep his boot off my throat long enough to mate him.

Looking through the analysis, I also played my first ever move that the computer has deemed "brilliant".... and then I played a blunder straight after it😂

image.thumb.png.54d4b6d98a9c80e2f804836accda818d.png

Edited by Gordon EF

11 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Just beat Nelson for the first time. Both Kings trapped in opposite corner. Just managed to keep his boot off my throat long enough to mate him.

That board is mental.

Here's a good example of what's wrong with the bots. Any human here moves Na5 to get it away from my pawn (I know he can still get trapped this way), or back in to b8. Nelson moved Bf6 and I went a piece up. This kind of thing happens constantly with the bots yet players with a ranking of 600 wouldn't have done that. He started the pawn battle that led to this, so it's not like it wasn't a totally obvious position.

1378730457_Screenshot2021-02-16at16_29_36.thumb.png.e3c99ffef0c05266ccebaf051fcf60c7.png

The bots seem to be a mixed bag overall. Had a go at the 1800 earlier and got annoyingly close to toppling it. My big weakness is transitioning from opening to middle game - if I get that right then I'm usually fine and work out a winning path close to the 'preferred' route, if not I just run out of pateince and throw pieces around to try and make something stick. Grinding out endgame shitfests to try and draw/stalemate with not many pieces isn't a strength either.

5 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I've won 5 and lost 1 so far in League B but I think I was a little bit lucky in that I don't think I'll win all 5 of those return fixtures. I think I got a bit lucky against Keptie and suspect he'd beat me more often than I beat him, the game against Frank Grimes could easily have gone either way and I although I ended up beating NotThePars relatively comfortably, I think I remember him being one or two moves away from a forced checkmate that I only spotted very late and could eaisly have fallen for on another day. DeeTillEhDeh beat me pretty comprehensively and I'd be shocked if he doesn't stroll to the Division B title.

IMO from what I've played and stalked, you, keptie, and Dee have an edge over the other seven of us and are going up, but on a good day we could cause you headaches. Except for Dee, who's winning every game at around 98/99% and I might as well wear an arab-coloured dress when I play him in a week or two so he can enjoy screwing me more, hah. I managed to find my old Avni book on Devious Chess in the attic, and doing a bit of swotting to try and give me a punchers chance at least...

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That board is mental.

Here's a good example of what's wrong with the bots. Any human here moves Na5 to get it away from my pawn (I know he can still get trapped this way), or back in to b8. Nelson moved Bf6 and I went a piece up. This kind of thing happens constantly with the bots yet players with a ranking of 600 wouldn't have done that. He started the pawn battle that led to this, so it's not like it wasn't a totally obvious position.

Aye, the only total blunder he played in my game was this.. moving Qg3 immediately after I threatened his Bishop with h6. It might be forgivable it I hadn't just moved the pawn and he'd forgotten about it but it's like he thought I might not take his Bishop for the sake of a pawn. 

image.thumb.png.4558dd211c270ac8159f8a9722450bb6.png

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Division C

Week 3

Round 6

Johnnydun418 beats Invergowrie.

After long resilience @invergowrie arab eventually folds. An Arab that fought harder than Mixu but ended with the same fate thanks to Craig Knight-on.

Hide contents

Sorry, been waiting all day to use that.

Good game mate.

GG. Another one where material similar but I can't actually get moving because of good play by opposition. 

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Looking through the analysis, I also played my first ever move that the computer has deemed "brilliant".... and then I played a blunder straight after it😂

image.thumb.png.54d4b6d98a9c80e2f804836accda818d.png

Post the position before your brilliant move. We can see if we see it.

The bots seem to be a mixed bag overall. Had a go at the 1800 earlier and got annoyingly close to toppling it. My big weakness is transitioning from opening to middle game - if I get that right then I'm usually fine and work out a winning path close to the 'preferred' route, if not I just run out of pateince and throw pieces around to try and make something stick. Grinding out endgame shitfests to try and draw/stalemate with not many pieces isn't a strength either.
IMO from what I've played and stalked, you, keptie, and Dee have an edge over the other seven of us and are going up, but on a good day we could cause you headaches. Except for Dee, who's winning every game at around 98/99% and I might as well wear an arab-coloured dress when I play him in a week or two so he can enjoy screwing me more, hah. I managed to find my old Avni book on Devious Chess in the attic, and doing a bit of swotting to try and give me a punchers chance at least...

I have had weaker games - one against Hammy was only 94%.

Thought my match was going to end in a draw against GordonEF till he dropped his guard.

Although I have not played a lot I do a lot of chess puzzles which involves you thinking a lot deeper.

My highest rating on rated puzzles was 1551 - I've done something close to 8,000 of them.

Also good to go back and do the analysis of your games - even with my record I've had mistakes that could have cost me - missed wins vs markf268 and arabjoe.

Been lucky as well - overall (including the 2 friendlies), there's been 9 mistakes and 8 blunders in those 9 games by the opposition.

3 hours ago, Scorge said:

Obviously haven't played you in non-360 chess but if I was pushed to predict I'd say DeeTilEhDeh is going to win comfortably, possibly going the season undefeated. And it''ll be you, me and Keptie fighting for 2nd and 3rd.

Obviously haven't played you in non-360 chess but if I was pushed to predict I'd say DeeTilEhDeh is going to win comfortably, possibly going the season undefeated. And it''ll be you, me and Keptie fighting for 2nd and 3rd.
You are a good player GordonEF - I was not patronising you when I said that - you had one mistake in our game - that was all - 20 best moves (I had 26) and 9 excellent moves (the same as me) shows you know what you are doing.

You were certainly the most patient player I've played so far.

11 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You are a good player GordonEF - I was not patronising you when I said that - you had one mistake in our game - that was all - 20 best moves (I had 26) and 9 excellent moves (the same as me) shows you know what you are doing.

You were certainly the most patient player I've played so far.

Nah, didn't take anything you've said as patronising at all. If anything, I like it when folk point out my mistakes. It really did feel like a game where one mistake could swing it and I knew I'd misstepped with that bishop as soon as i played that move.

I've got a habit of being a bit of a chess chameleon I think. You and keptie are very solid, patient players who make almost no mistakes and I played probably my two best games against you two because it forced me to try and do the same. I think I made the first proper attacking thrust in both games. Against you it backfired. Against keptie, it got me a bit of a foothold that I managed to hold on to. Against more aggressive players I tend to accept it's going to be a bit of slugfest and it becomes a much more error-prone game.

Edited by Gordon EF

My chess story is I was introduced to it at primary school. I played a little bit of it through the Boys' Brigade, and the chess club at secondary school, but was never really any good. I'm now playing for the first time since then.

I do have a board, which my Grampa handmade when my mum and uncles were kids. It's basic but I absolutely love the thing. I want to get my 10 year old son in to playing, he's got the mind to really understand it, I think.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

14 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Anyone seen this before? A2 pawn missing.

I wondered if accidentally playing handicap game but I'm higher rated. Unless having open rook rank an advantage?

Screenshot_20210216-231222_Chess.jpg

He should assert dominance and play Rxa7 straight off the bat. Show you he means business.

Edited by Gordon EF