P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Nah, didn't take anything you've said as patronising at all. If anything, I like it when folk point out my mistakes. It really did feel like a game where one mistake could swing it and I knew I'd misstepped with that bishop as soon as i played that move.
I've got a habit of being a bit of a chess chameleon I think. You and keptie are very solid, patient players who make almost no mistakes and I played probably my two best games against you two because it forced me to try and do the same. I think I made the first proper attacking thrust in both games. Against you it backfired. Against keptie, it got me a bit of a foothold that I managed to hold on to. Against more aggressive players I tend to accept it's going to be a bit of slugfest and it becomes a much more error-prone game.
I love it when I play really aggressive players because they tend to take their eye of the ball (or should that be board?)

The more patient players you have to be just as patient and think long and deep - don't just think about what you want to do but their potential responses.

Invergowrie Arab beats [mention=27442]Stellaboz[/mention]
A holocaust of a game with both players pleading for a draw at various times but a first win for Invergowrie.
Press conference at 1pm 
clerichead.jpg.c6a6f9bd4288149f5b3a3f7399ed04d1.jpg
That was a relegation shit fest. When I captured your queen and two rooks I thought I was fine until I saw you move your pawn down towards promotion. Bah. Well played.

Screenshot_20210216-234820_Chess.thumb.jpg.5ba0e5589446a18f4a76ffe2f25ceeba.jpg

Very difficult game against @Grant228 , I've been playing against the computer at a much better level than I am and it is paying off, much more patient and not making mistakes, the way I am playing is quite dull, just waiting on mistakes.

Ive been having a lot of fun with the rapid fire friendlies. Twice I’ve played hourly games against players who take it nice and considered and ended up with ten minutes left frantically trying to move round the board. Ended up routing someone and forced the other into a stalemate I thoroughly didn’t deserve.

So begins my Jose Mourinho origin story.

20 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Madwullie beats RicheyEdwards in the league.

It was a good game. Both of us seem to be of a similar standard I think. I'm always waiting for mistakes, completely unable to formulate any kind of attacking plan until the opportunity is staring me in the face. Could have gone either way till the last wee burst there 

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

It was a good game. Both of us seem to be of a similar standard I think. I'm always waiting for mistakes, completely unable to formulate any kind of attacking plan until the opportunity is staring me in the face. Could have gone either way till the last wee burst there 

Yeah, I struggle on the attacking side and all of my friendly wins have been through capitalising on opponent mistakes rather than actual skill. I have improved since I started playing in the Chess League, because I was losing games easily at first whereas I'm staying competitive in games longer now. That's at least some sort of progress I suppose.

I can't be bothered to sift through 40 pages so can someone tell me a good app or mobile site that's good for playing. 

I've not played in years but used to play relativley often and thinking about picking it up again. 

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

Yeah, I struggle on the attacking side and all of my friendly wins have been through capitalising on opponent mistakes rather than actual skill. I have improved since I started playing in the Chess League, because I was losing games easily at first whereas I'm staying competitive in games longer now. That's at least some sort of progress I suppose.

I've improved too and for the same reason - I lost my first two games and I didn't want to get a rinsing for 9 weeks.

The first game I was against someone who's definitely better than me, but I was a passed pawn and a bishop up before imploding. I learned then not to make important moves on a Monday morning because my head's in work and not in the game. Second game was pretty even and then I walked a pawn forward, forgetting it was covering another pawn. That let my opponent in behind and I was buggered from there. Since then I've got much better at seeing potential forks and skewers against me, being sure of my moves before playing, just the basics of not making an arse of it.

That said, what I've enjoyed most is the 3-5 minute games of 960 chess. I go on the "open challenges tab" and find something decent within 10 seconds or so. You make heinous mistakes but it's ok because your opponent does too. I got my rating up to over 1200 and beat someone over 1400 before losing a few. It's a laugh.

2 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I can't be bothered to sift through 40 pages so can someone tell me a good app or mobile site that's good for playing. 

I've not played in years but used to play relativley often and thinking about picking it up again. 

We're playing the leagues on chess.com. No idea what it's like for playing bots but a few folk seem to be doing it. I think lichess(?) is an option as well. 

Chess.com is def free and you can play randoms too

Edited by madwullie