P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Have to say, I''m not enjoying the daily chess format at all. I don't like thinking about the game between moves, especially during the working week and I keep having to refresh my memory about why pieces are where they are each time I go back to the board. In my cup tie I forgot I'd put something on a spot to cover something else and forgot it needed shifted if a reveal became possible, which undid me (though my strategic position at the end of the opening would have done for me anyway). I'll play out my league fixtures but after that I'll only be looking for timed matches.

I really like the 960 format though, I'd never come across it until the cup tie. I don't want to get into chess seriously enough to invest time learning openings. Life's too short for that. It's like the folk that learn obscure, unused words so they can win at Scrabble. 960 makes it more about real gameplay and IMO is a better form of chess.

Have to say, I''m not enjoying the daily chess format at all. I don't like thinking about the game between moves, especially during the working week and I keep having to refresh my memory about why pieces are where they are each time I go back to the board. In my cup tie I forgot I'd put something on a spot to cover something else and forgot it needed shifted if a reveal became possible, which undid me (though my strategic position at the end of the opening would have done for me anyway). I'll play out my league fixtures but after that I'll only be looking for timed matches.
I really like the 960 format though, I'd never come across it until the cup tie. I don't want to get into chess seriously enough to invest time learning openings. Life's too short for that. It's like the folk that learn obscure, unused words so they can win at Scrabble. 960 makes it more about real gameplay and IMO is a better form of chess.
It was the reveal that did for you. Rook moved to attack your unprotected Bishop and leaving my Bishop attacking your unprotected knight.

Mistake by you in the run-up as well - moving the pawn - taking it en passant destroyed your pawn barrier.

Don't know if it helps, but (at least in the app) there's a notes section along with analysis part - could write down what you're thinking and then come back to it.

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It was the reveal that did for you. Rook moved to attack your unprotected Bishop and leaving my Bishop attacking your unprotected knight.

Mistake by you in the run-up as well - moving the pawn - taking it en passant destroyed your pawn barrier.

I was trying for a break-out on that side because I was 100% fked on my right, I was definitely losing pieces and territory there. I needed to open up room to disentangle my knights and queen and get them over to pressure your kingside. I wanted/needed you to take the pawn en passant so I could move my two pawns forward, I thought you would come at me round the front after that and had plans for it but I hadn't realised how easy it would be for you to get your queen in behind. It was a risky plan but I needed to try it because I was definitely losing anyway and your king was unguarded down the A-file. 

I had been watching for that reveal and then forgot about it. It's the kind of thing I've been doing in all my daily games, and in trying to avoid it I've found myself thinking about matches much more than I'd want to between moves. You'd no doubt have beaten me in a timed game too, of course, but I'd have enjoyed it a lot more.

1 hour ago, true_rover said:
8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Don't know if it helps, but (at least in the app) there's a notes section along with analysis part - could write down what you're thinking and then come back to it.

Ta, I hadn't noticed, that's handy. 

19 hours ago, gkneil said:

Gkneil defeats Invergowrie in the cup.

I would like to blame 960 chess but I can't. We seemed to be similarish on material for a long while but your positional play meant I was always on back foot. 

The money we made from the tie will pay for us to bring new pawns through for the next 5 years 

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

Aye I think that's part of the reason why I'm doing better at the hourly games atm. Keep forgetting what I was thinking about in these league matches. Attention span of a gnat.

13 hours ago, Scorge said:

Division B, Round 6, el_scorgio beats NotThe Pars on an eight count in a proper old school ITV Saturday Night boxing match with pieces flying all over the place. GG.

Aye decent match mate. At least I can see where I'm going wrong these times. The trip to Dubai hasn't helped though and I will be launching into the team Lennon style. There were a couple of times I made catastrophic errors and I get let off with it but I was really just playing for time.

I've realised I'm not capable of playing two games concurrently. Played some very solid chess on one and made blunder after blunder on the other, including hanging my queen.

960 is decent and certainly has its advantages but I think it'll take me a lot of getting used to. Lichess has a number of interesting variants which are fun to mess around with.