P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Another bad castling move by me should have just left it. I ended up with all my major players stranded on the bottom line unable to move but that was mostly due to your excellent moves which left me nowhere to go, it was a pretty comprehensive win.
You did the same in our game - castling a move too early.

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
27 minutes ago, keptie said:
Another bad castling move by me should have just left it. I ended up with all my major players stranded on the bottom line unable to move but that was mostly due to your excellent moves which left me nowhere to go, it was a pretty comprehensive win.

You did the same in our game - castling a move too early.

Yeah a bad habit that needs sorted.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Best piece of chess advice I've been given - look at your opponent''s move.

Flip the board round and see it from their point of view - think about why they played the move they did. Look at how they might react - some of the best traps are those that trap by playing to the opponent's instincts.

Funny you should say that, in one of this week's games I flipped the board for the first time. It made me see that I was in a stronger position that I thought, and I saw where, if I were on the other side, I would least want to be pressured. 

3 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Haha 

A real gadgie, not a bot

and I’ve not beaten Nelson before 

Have you played Nelson before?

It's weird, I muller the bots up to about 1100 without thinking, win more often than not up to and including 1300 (Nelson is pish once you work him out, just chase that queen) but only have one win against a bot at 1500. But with humans, in 3-5 minute matches, I've struggled to beat anyone over 800. Maybe the fast chess isn't for me.

52 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Have you played Nelson before?

It's weird, I muller the bots up to about 1100 without thinking, win more often than not up to and including 1300 (Nelson is pish once you work him out, just chase that queen) but only have one win against a bot at 1500. But with humans, in 3-5 minute matches, I've struggled to beat anyone over 800. Maybe the fast chess isn't for me.

I can beat a couple of bots above Nelson but I’ve never beat that c**t 

A doubly bad night for RicheyEdwards. If it doesn't rain it pours.

Queen decided to take the game by the scruff of the neck and go on a rampage up the board trying to get her hands on the black king. After some stoic defending by the kings security, queenie beat up a couple off the board and with the assistance of a loyal rook, throttled the king to his peral.

Thanks for the game.

15 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

When I'm white against him I lead with queen's pawn, he pushes king's pawn one to give the queen the diagonal, I go g3 to stop the queen from coming to h4, he goes bishop to b4 for check, I chase that with the C pawn, he runs away with the bishop and he's already behind. After that I'll usually push the king's pawn forward 2 to control the centre and then reinforce with pieces. Sometimes he varies it a bit but if you make all your early moves with the intention of not giving the queen anywhere good to go he gets impatient and starts coughing up pieces. 

30 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

A doubly bad night for RicheyEdwards. If it doesn't rain it pours.

Queen decided to take the game by the scruff of the neck and go on a rampage up the board trying to get her hands on the black king. After some stoic defending by the kings security, queenie beat up a couple off the board and with the assistance of a loyal rook, throttled the king to his peral.

Thanks for the game.

I probably could have defended that better, but was an enjoyable game. Deserved win. 

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Best piece of chess advice I've been given - look at your opponent''s move.

Flip the board round and see it from their point of view - think about why they played the move they did. Look at how they might react - some of the best traps are those that trap by playing to the opponent's instincts.

It is a very good piece of advice. It's so easy to think oh right he's just done that because it's a standard move and he can't think of anything better or he's just moving that piece to safety but if you force yourself to look again you'll sometimes spot there's a sneaky little reason they've made that particular move.

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Who’s going to be the first P&B Chessers to copy the Grandmasters and go for a Bongcloud opening?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7vxdx/chess-world-champion-plays-bongcloud-attack-meme-opening-in-tournament

I watched a game where Hikaru played some guy rated about 1000 starting with only a handful of pieces. He absolutely wiped the floor with him as well. Just kept using his Queen to attack pieces and the guy kept defending them and getting dragged closer and closer to checkmate. Easy to say watching but i was thinking why the f**k don't you just accept sacrificing a few pieces to attack his Queen.

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

The P&B equivalent of Nelson is definitely @NotThePars.

Baws oot attack from move 1. I've definitely made a few mistakes already in our game just because I've been caught out by his aggressive moves.

I watched a game where Hikaru played some guy rated about 1000 starting with only a handful of pieces. He absolutely wiped the floor with him as well. Just kept using his Queen to attack pieces and the guy kept defending them and getting dragged closer and closer to checkmate. Easy to say watching but i was thinking why the f**k don't you just accept sacrificing a few pieces to attack his Queen.

It's why you need to sit back sometimes - doing the counter-intuitive move makes their strategy fall apart.

Sacrifices are for me the jewel in any game - nothing more satisfying than a sacrifice that destroys a defence and leads to a mate or winning position.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Division C Round 14, GordonS496 beats Johnnydun418.

I went on a bit of a ill-advised early foray with my queen and tied up my kingside bishop, knight and rook for far too long as a result. I was reasonably sure I had just enough to keep my king safe from Johnny's heavy attack but it was a close-run thing, I had to sweat my defence for a while and pull my way back into it.

Good game and a tense affair.

Yes, really enjoyed that game and well won by yourself.

I just couldn't get round to get to your King, well defended and you just slowly picked at my dying corpse.